Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: People in California are:
Friendlier than normal 6 14.29%
Not as friendly 14 33.33%
The same as people in other states 20 47.62%
I don't know, I've never been 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

People in California - friendly or unfriendly?
Old 04-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I've noticed that when I talk to people about California a common response is "The people are so friendly (or unfriendly) there". I find it kind of odd because I've been to California about a 10 times but have never felt one way or another. To me they seem similar to people in other parts of the country.

I'm wondering how people on here feel.
bank5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I've found that the friendliness of the people you meet is generally a reflection of your own friendliness.
waltwill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

I grew up in Kansas City, Mo, 21 years, moved to Long Island, NY 29 years and have lived in Laguna Beach over 7 years now. From my experience I'd say that New Yorkers were genuinely more interested in learning about your life and interests than anyone from California. I've found that most people living in California, especially Orange County are from elsewhere in the U.S. and the World for that matter, so asking if they're 'friendlier' is sort of moot!
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some years ago when I moved form Boston to LA I almost fell over; the people were so much more outgoing and easy to meet. Sunny climes make sunny people.

Ha
Old 04-19-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Born here in California, never lived anywhere else. Let's see, San Diego, great place to visit, everybody is kick back relax! L.A., well, in my opinion, has some attitudes, cell phones stuck to everyones face, always in a hurry, some smile, others couldn't give a nickel. Santa Barbara, perfect climate, easy going people. San Francisco, , oh well, Yea, for the most part we're kick back and easy going.
For the record I'm a native of Los Angeles, and growing up in the sixties as a teenager was so different than today. People are ok and kickback if you don't get in their space.
KennyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:44 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Truthfully I don't believe this is a question you can answer with a generalisation as there are so many variables.

We are foreigners and have been living in California off and on for the past 11 years. We have just completed a 3 year stint in San Diego and after living in the same apt. for 2 years we did not even know the names of our neighbours. I would not put this down to these neighbours being friendly or not, because I feel part of people being friendly to each other is having something to say to each other goes beyond saying hello which we did on numerous occasions. Just because we did not bond doesn't mean either of us were unfriendly.

We recently moved to Silicon Valley and we lucked into getting a rental property at a good price in an excellent location. This is much more upmarket than where we were living in San Diego and one would expect the locals to be a bit more standoffish. However, we have been pleasantly surprised. We met our neighbours on both sides and know them by name and we regularly exchange pleasantries. Last week I met a couple of ladies at the nail salon and they gave me their details. I go to a local exercise class and have met a couple of really friendly ladies there, we chat freely. The girl at the local coffee shop introduced herself and we chat regularly.

So I don't think it is that our new location is any friendlier but rather perhaps we may fit in here better due to our age group. We certainly haven't changed since we relocated and I don't think the people here are likely to be much different from those in So. California.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:57 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I think that people are people, and Californians probably feel as friendly towards others as do people in other states. Native Southerners may seem more friendly and hospitable than Californians on the outside, but there are lines you don't cross. As some have pointed out, such regional cultural differences are diminishing as time goes by.

Six of one and half a dozen of the other. Having lived in northern California for six years and southern California for six years, I would not consider returning but I had no problem making friends in either part of the state.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:17 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

People in Texas are friendly. Or at least that is how it seemed to me when I lived there briefly in 1973.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:18 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
People in Texas are friendly. Or at least that is how it seemed to me when I lived their briefly in 1973.
Time changes everything.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:40 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
People in Texas are friendly. Or at least that is how it seemed to me when I lived their briefly in 1973.
I really liked living in Texas, and made friends instantly since I enrolled in an intensive B.S.E.E. program immediately upon arriving there. I made some good friends in study groups or as lab partners and we all sat together in the same classes all day long for several years. My daughter was in public schools there, and so naturally I became friends with a lot of other mothers, too.

When I was moving from Baton Rouge to New Orleans, I heard SO many laments about how hard it is to "break in" and make real friends among native New Orleanians. (I think the problem some people have is not recognizing that invisible line that you do not cross). But I had more friends than I had time for in just a month or two and cultivated these friendships over the years. I guess most of my friends are long time or native New Orleanians.

You have to make an effort to put yourself out there and make friends when you first move to a new location. You have to adjust to, learn, and truly appreciate local history and ways of thinking and doing things even if you don't completely adopt them, because nobody wants to hear things from a stranger that they might regard as snotty, self absorbed, or unappreciative of local culture and ways. I think that most people who have had to move a lot realize this and would say "duh!" at these revelations.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:48 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I think that most people who have had to move a lot realize this and would say "duh!" at these revelations.
Hey, we would never say "duh" to you, Want-2!

Ha
Old 04-20-2009, 06:59 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Hey, we would never say "duh" to you, Want-2!

Ha
Thank you!! I am not sure why not but I am glad.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:02 AM   #13
Administrator

Ahhhh, California. The land that gave new meaning to the terms mellow, cool, dude, trip, whatever, chill and dysfunctional democracy, and originated the universally detested and serially abused "have a nice day".

It’s not that people in California are friendlier. They just don’t give a $hit. And if we don’t confuse friendly with polite, they're also not particularly polite.

Oh - and if there are any Californians out there offended by my post, all I can say is ...whatever dude, chill. And have a nice day
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I've been to CA twice and found everyone friendly. However, the only people I met were DH's direct reports and hotel staff....
Old 04-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Ahhhh, California. The land that gave new meaning to the terms mellow, cool, dude, trip, whatever, chill and dysfunctional democracy, and originated the universally detested and serially abused "have a nice day".

It’s not that people in California are friendlier. They just don’t give a $hit. And if we don’t confuse friendly with polite, they're also not particularly polite.

Oh - and if there are any Californians out there offended by my post, all I can say is ...whatever dude, chill. And have a nice day
You didn't included my favorite, "this is a 357, .........go ahead and make my day" from Clint Eastwood's film! Give me a few hours, and I'll come with some more.
My friends from "down-under" also have some good ones, but we can't take credit for those.
KennyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:05 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I spent a year in Anaheim CA one summer.
Just kidding...I was helping my Mom relocate from AZ and lived there for 6 months. I worked in Torrance, right on the coast. I've also traveled to San Diego and Monterey CA for business in the ol' p*ycheck days.
I found native Californians to be pretty fun folks. Transplants from the rest of the country who live in CA don't count as natives, and I surely met a lot of those. People are a product of their upbringing regardless of zip code.
Turning the table around a bit, being a native Noo Yawker with an audiologically distinct style of speaking (fawh quawtuhs equals a dollah) has its fun moments and its surprises. I either get the "eye roll" and instant assumptions, or I get sincere curiosity from people and some pretty good questions.
I've had a lot of fun with that over the years.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

This thread reminds me of people who say, "I'm going to Europe" as if it's one distinct place.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
This thread reminds me of people who say, "I'm going to Europe" as if it's one distinct place.
Thats right! Most folks in the US don't even realize it has two parts - eastern Europe and western Europe. Each side even speaks a different language. Ignorami..

Hey - even Don the rummy was confused - he thought it was Old Europe and New Europe...
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

They may be friendly, but usually you gotta get thru that California attitude first. That superiority that they possess drives me crazy. My husband is a native Californian. He agrees. He gets so tired of people he meets asking why in the heck he left California for Texas. Why would anyone leave such a paradise for such a horrible place like Texas. (This is ReWaho's cue to talk about scorpions). Last time this happened he smiled sweetly at the nice lady from California and answered her with his best Texas drawl "Texas Women". See he's from California and he's friendly, gosh I love that man.

Seriously, I have many friends here in Texas that are originally from California that are very friendly. I don't know what they were like when the resided in California.
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:19 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boonville and the valley, which valley.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote