People who don't like retirement

Texas Proud said:At my old mega.... they hired this guy after a political fight after a merger... he was in his 70s and very rich... but he did not like to be retired as he could not boss around people like he used to do...

That comment made me laugh.... But I wouldnt think it was so funny if I had to work under him.

I've been looking at ER since I joined ER but haven't been able to pull the trigger. Finances should be there.

It's not that I enjoy my job, though there are a lot of good days on the job. But I enjoy the time off and I get 4 weeks of vacation every year and the job is easy most of the time.

Maybe it is about being too settled into a routine. Mainly though, there's still some uncertainty in the macroeconomy and it would be good to see how the health care thing settles out. I'm not depending on it for ER but it would clear some of the uncertainty.

At my old mega.... they hired this guy after a political fight after a merger... he was in his 70s and very rich... but he did not like to be retired as he could not boss around people like he used to do...

So, he would work long days and expect that from others... he was very rude to people and did not care... heck, he would even talk negative to his boss at times if he thought he was wrong...

He was not working for the money, but the power... having a few billion dollars a year to spend and to make major decisions is enough for some....

There are a lot of executives, like Steve Ballmer who is worth billions and yet, whose tenure as CEO has come under heavy criticism. His company is very profitable but it's mostly from businesses set up by his predecessor.

So what rewards motivate someone like him to keep working? Is he a true believer in his company?

Same thing with someone like Larry Ellison, who does have a lot of outside interests, funded by his already immense wealth.

Then there are a lot of executives who aren't well known but who probably have accumulated at least $10 million, after taxes, who keep working too.

Maybe it seems to us they have more money than they'll ever spend but they could have some extravagant lifestyles too. Or at least their families and entourage do.

I loved my job. Didn't mind working 70 hour weeks with 300,000 miles a year of international travel. It was fun, exciting and paid obscenely well. Did it for 30 years.

BUT! When the company was sold, I was offered a lower position or a buy-out. Took the money and ran! Never looked back.
Family worried that I’d go mad but I found there were so many things that interested me outside of the job. Things I had missed for 30 years. Like a lot of FIREs “I don’t know how I had time to work”.
The key is to realize that it can take 1,2 or 3 YEARS to get into the new lifestyle. It is NOT "being on vacation" every day! Recognize it as a different (better) way of life.
Everyone is different, but there is a whole world out there beyond the 9 to 5.

The way things have been going at work this month (and for that matter most months), I would enjoy standing on my head more than continuing to work in this nut house.

There are a lot of executives, like Steve Ballmer who is worth billions and yet, whose tenure as CEO has come under heavy criticism. His company is very profitable but it's mostly from businesses set up by his predecessor.

So what rewards motivate someone like him to keep working? Is he a true believer in his company?

Same thing with someone like Larry Ellison, who does have a lot of outside interests, funded by his already immense wealth.

Then there are a lot of executives who aren't well known but who probably have accumulated at least $10 million, after taxes, who keep working too.

Maybe it seems to us they have more money than they'll ever spend but they could have some extravagant lifestyles too. Or at least their families and entourage do.

I think the difference between someone like Larry Ellison and the guy I mentioned is that Larry does have a LOT of outside interests... the amount of time he spends running his business interest is probably not that great... the amount of time the guy I mentioned worked was in the 50 to 80 hour per week range.... and he was traveling about 4 days a week...

I do agree that there are probably a good number of $10 million people who keep working... but I bet a lot have life styles that $10 million would not support..

I like retirement fine. It's just that I also like to take breaks from it, if and when some interesting work comes my way.

I've been looking at ER since I joined ER but haven't been able to pull the trigger. Finances should be there.

It's not that I enjoy my job, though there are a lot of good days on the job. But I enjoy the time off and I get 4 weeks of vacation every year and the job is easy most of the time.

Maybe it is about being too settled into a routine. Mainly though, there's still some uncertainty in the macroeconomy and it would be good to see how the health care thing settles out. I'm not depending on it for ER but it would clear some of the uncertainty.

Four weeks/year would not be enough for me. Even four months/year would not be enough, and I only work 40hrs/week in short busts. I am getting old and need nap time to refresh my brain. So, like to work from home if at all possible.

Oh, and about the money bringing some extra security, I would be a liar if I said I didn't enjoy that. Heh heh heh... (Is Uncle Mick around? Is he going to sue me?)

Well it's 4 weeks of vacation accrued, another dozen holidays.

When working extra hours, it can be done from home.

I guess breaking the habit, a routine you've known for 20-30 years is difficult. Maybe like soldiers returning from war adjusting to civilian life or emancipated slaves having to figure out their new life.

Or someone who was kidnapped for years, maybe succumbing to Stockholm syndrome and then facing freedom.

I guess breaking the habit, a routine you've known for 20-30 years is difficult. Maybe like soldiers returning from war adjusting to civilian life or emancipated slaves having to figure out their new life.

Or someone who was kidnapped for years, maybe succumbing to Stockholm syndrome and then facing freedom.

I think you are right about that. It's scary for any of those who do not like change (and that includes me), to make a big change like that. The last few minutes were especially scary - - turning in my badge and leaving the building felt both exciting and completely terrifying, as I imagine bungee jumping might feel. I thought "OMG, what am I DOING!" but just smiled weakly and left. I felt prepared financially, probably, but really hadn't put much thought into the psychological aspects. So for a few hours I was in "what now, am I doing this right?" mode.

But then the next day everything started to fall into place and my adjustment turned out to be pretty easy, thank goodness. Since that time, I have developed another routine that I like. Works for me. I admit that prior to retiring, I was absolutely determined to retire and completely sure that this step was what I wanted. That probably helped.

As for going back to work, each to his own (and I mean that, Midpack and NW-Bound!). But for me, I have even been avoiding going back to visit for fear that somehow they will snag me and KEEP me there to work for years to come. I know that's unrealistic. :LOL: I do look on the internet to see what my agency is doing but that's as close as I want to come to my former workplace.

Last edited:
Just a thought.......
Like 12ridehd, I had a practice retirement, an ultimately went back to w**k (mainly because I missed the fun of poking holes in the ground an gettng paid for it). I've come to realize that anything worthwhile - whether playing a musical instrument, playing a sport, whatever - takes practice, so I look at my previous retirement as a practice round. Learned some interesting things about myself and what my expectations were (realistic and un-realistic), so will be better prepared to excel the next time.

In the meantme, I've enjoyed the new j*b immensely, partially because I know that I'm here because I want to be, not because I have to. (And partially because of the money, of course!)

But then the next day everything started to fall into place and my adjustment turned out to be pretty easy, thank goodness. Since that time, I have developed another routine that I like. Works for me.

Well, there's my problem in a nutshell: I don't have any routines. I don't have set bedtimes, meal times, wake up times. Things just sort of happen and I react (that's probably why I enjoy my job so much - nothing is predictable). And one of my reactions is not to react - I'm a world-class sitter. I've developed powerful muscles that allow me to sit for hours on end without doing anything. It's a skill that took years of practice to develop :)

The way things have been going at work this month (and for that matter most months), I would enjoy standing on my head more than continuing to work in this nut house.

LOL!!!:LOL:

Well, there's my problem in a nutshell: I don't have any routines. I don't have set bedtimes, meal times, wake up times. Things just sort of happen and I react (that's probably why I enjoy my job so much - nothing is predictable). And one of my reactions is not to react - I'm a world-class sitter. I've developed powerful muscles that allow me to sit for hours on end without doing anything. It's a skill that took years of practice to develop :)

Do you think maybe your sister is right, that you're not ready to retire?

Funny you should say that. I found out yesterday that I would lose a lot of money if I retire in September. When I found out I had to wait until next January, my heart sank. I think I'm ready to go.

Funny you should say that. I found out yesterday that I would lose a lot of money if I retire in September. When I found out I had to wait until next January, my heart sank. I think I'm ready to go.

If you don't retire, you'll lose a lot of time. Only you can decide if it's worth it.
Anyone who keeps working will continue to earn money, silly really.

How nice! My job is structured most of the day. No way I can come in an hour late if I was out late the previous night. Of course, I can always come in early and leave late. No problem with that!

My dad retired after 30 years of shiftwork in a boiler room. He took a cabinet making course, then discovered that few cabinet makers wanted to take on an apprentice older than themselves. Seems they were all looking for young folks they could transition their businesses to. That was a bit of a wake up call for my dad, so he went back to work. Doing shiftwork. In a boiler room. But a different one, this time. ;) Now he's happy again!

You've already gotten several excellent responses. The financial aspect of retirement is the simple (but not easy) part, the non-monetary change is less often discussed. Before I retired, I found reading How to Retire Happy, Wild & Free by Ernie Zelinski and Work Less, Live More by Bob Clyatt to be very helpful in preparing for the transition. You can probably get one or both at your local library if you're interested. Your answers will be unique as with all of us, best of luck...

You've already gotten several excellent responses. The financial aspect of retirement is the simple (but not easy) part, the non-monetary change is less often discussed. Before I retired, I found reading How to Retire Happy, Wild & Free by Ernie Zelinski and Work Less, Live More by Bob Clyatt to be very helpful in preparing for the transition. You can probably get one or both at your local library if you're interested. Your answers will be unique as with all of us, best of luck...

I've got the Zelinski book on hold - it's been mentioned several times in this forum so it has to be pretty good. I'm looking forward to reading it.

It's an odd thing that I keep overlooking: in addition to my day job, I also teach and take dance classes 2 nights a week and perform most weekends. Once I'm free, I'll probably end up making costumes most days. Not sure how I feel about that :rolleyes:

I've got the Zelinski book on hold - it's been mentioned several times in this forum so it has to be pretty good. I'm looking forward to reading it.
I found the Get-A-Life Tree exercise from his book to be the single most helpful thing I did before retiring, I'd encourage you to make sure you read that part. It's been discussed here, though it's been a while (I tried to find a link, but couldn't).

Back
Top Bottom