Join Early Retirement Today

Perseids anyone?
Old 08-13-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Perseids anyone?

Laid out on a lounger at my weekend place to watch the meteors last night. I saw some pretty nice ones averaging about 1 per minute. Nothing like the Orionids several years ago but pretty good. It's nice to be able to stay up in the wee hours on a Thursday night and not have to worry about work in the morning. Last night was the peak but there should be stragglers tonight for those of you who are interested.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

It's been a while since I watched them. Oone August we were staying at Chisos Basin in Big Bend and we got up at 3 a.m. and went outside a ways and had a terrific show! With quite a spectacular mountain backdrop. Talk about optimal viewing conditions.

I really enjoyed it except that I was convinced a mountain lion was going to pounce on me at any moment!

Audrey
Old 08-13-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

We have had full cloud cover due to the fizzled almost-tropical-storm that dumped inches of rain here yesterday and isn't done. So, watching last night was out of the question.

If things clear up a little tonight then Frank and I will enjoy the view. He is an amateur astronomer so I think he will enjoy it even more than most. If the clouds remain, then we will have to watch the Perseids another year.

I saw this meteor shower when camping on top of a mountain in Vermont, after a hike in 1959, give or take a year. I will never forget it!! Our summer camp counselors who accompanied us on this hike, apparently had no idea that there would be a meteor shower and they went right to sleep. We pre-teen girls were astonished and stayed up counting the meteors in that black, black sky as we lay there in our sleeping bags on that mountaintop... unforgettable!!!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I watched them around 11PM CDT and saw five in about 15 minutes. Not bad but my viewing location was not good, Our home is in town so lots of neighborhood lights and trees. We will try tonight when we get to the lake house as it is in the country and should be much better viewing.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
Administrator

I watched last night This is my annual b-day tradition (yesterday). I stay up late - take a class of champagne, go watch the sky falling and contemplate life, the universe and everything.... I live a couple of blocks from the Columbia river and last night, watched from a large boulder that sticks out into the water. Last night I also saw some beavers, a family of skunks and 2 kids making out near the dock. Good stuff.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Happy Birthday, Janet!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I watched last night This is my annual b-day tradition (yesterday). I stay up late - take a class of champagne, go watch the sky falling and contemplate life, the universe and everything....
You contemplate 42?

Happy belated, by the way!
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It's been a while since I watched them. Oone August we were staying at Chisos Basin in Big Bend and we got up at 3 a.m. and went outside a ways and had a terrific show! With quite a spectacular mountain backdrop. Talk about optimal viewing conditions.

I really enjoyed it except that I was convinced a mountain lion was going to pounce on me at any moment!

Audrey
Given your location, I'd consider that a real possibility. I always worry more about lions than bears.

We were socked in last night so no show. Was 100F today. Tonight is looking better but need for it to cool off more and get a little darker before we get a good view.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have a group here that has been getting for the Perseids for more than 30 years. This year we went out on the morning of the 12th and saw a few nice ones also about 45 per hour. It was cloudy here the evening of the 12th so didn't get a second chance.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I watch whenever I can, but it has been storming around here for a good part of a week. No moon, no nothing. Oh well, we need the rain.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #11

Clouds, clouds, clouds. Missed them this year.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #12

I happened to wake up thursday night and go out and watch for a while. I saw a few, maybe one a minute. Will there be any tonite (sunday) should I awaken?
Steve.
PS. Yes, I love not really caring if I sleep or not during this nice retirement time in my new life.
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
I happened to wake up thursday night and go out and watch for a while. I saw a few, maybe one a minute. Will there be any tonite (sunday) should I awaken?
Steve.
PS. Yes, I love not really caring if I sleep or not during this nice retirement time in my new life.
If I remember correctly they stretch out for a while on each side of the peak but all that means is you may see a couple over an hour or two. Thursday was the big day, Wednesday and Friday OK days, and outside of that not so much.