Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Personal Hair Cutting Product recommendation?
Old 03-21-2020, 05:17 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm going to need a haircut in another week or 2. By then I presume haircutting places will be closed by law. In any event, I wouldn't risk that close contact. Anyone have a recommendation? There are so many out there (Wahl, Ceenwes, etc.).
At the place I ordinarily go to, my haircut is quite easy: 3 on the side, 5 on the top. What the 3 and 5 are, though, I have no idea. I see all of the products have various "guide combs" so I presume somewhere in that mix are 3 and 5.
Suggestions?

(P.S. Others may want to follow my lead. This may be the next product to be in short supply).
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2020, 05:17 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife has a set of Wahl that she uses.She got hers at a beauty supply place here in town . She can get new blades as needed from Tractor supply. My needs are simple 2 on sides and 3 on top or 2 all over in summer!
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:22 AM   #3

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
We just ordered a Wahl trimming set.

There will be plenty of YouTube videos coming out soon.

We have had a stylist come to the house for over 10 years. We will probably send her a few monthly checks during the hunker down period. Maybe even try to have her skype and critique as DW and I learn how to trim each other's hair.
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:56 AM   #4

The Mrs cut mine for the first time in years.. Not too shabby. I feel bad for my normal cutters but I just decided it wasn’t worth the risk.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:50 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I used to cut mine with scissors but a few years ago I switched to the Flowbee which works pretty well. You can do the front, top, and sides pretty well by yourself but you need help getting the back of your head right.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:05 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I was planning on posting the very question the OP asked about cutting my own hair. The top is easy - gone, so its just the sides and back, which I usually get cut to about 1 1/4 inches. I could buy a 1 1/4 inch guide or just go to a 1 inch cut. Does anyone recommend a specific Wahl model of clippers, or other brand? Will this be easy or will I look like I used a lawnmower? Thanks.
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:27 AM   #7

I've been cutting my own hair with Wahl clippers for a long time. If you're a guy with short hair, it's really easy and pretty hard to go wrong.

If there's another person in the house to help, I imagine it would be even easier.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:35 AM   #8

We have a couple of the Wahl trimmer sets I picked up cheap off online sales.

Guess we'll see how well DW can operate them on DS#2 (home already from university) and me.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:36 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Those numbers are in 1/8th of inches. 3 would be 3/8, 5 is 5/8.

I have a Wahl trimmer with attachments which are number 1 through whatever. So just use the #3 and #5 attachments as you did before.

The toughest part I have is getting the neck line even. Between that and the cleanup, it has been worth going to a place in town that charges $12. But I may skip my next trip or two until the virus danger is over.

It is a lot easier to have someone else do it. I had DS do it once, but he's farther away now and I don't think he was too crazy about it. But I do have a GF now...
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit View Post
I was planning on posting the very question the OP asked about cutting my own hair. The top is easy - gone, so its just the sides and back, which I usually get cut to about 1 1/4 inches. I could buy a 1 1/4 inch guide or just go to a 1 inch cut. Does anyone recommend a specific Wahl model of clippers, or other brand? Will this be easy or will I look like I used a lawnmower? Thanks.
I just got my box out and it says, WAHL Proffesional, Balding Clipper-Full head balding! 5 Star series. Zero overlap surgical blades. Also top right corner of box is #785110 I think this is actual model number. She has been cutting mine with this one for at least 6 years semi regularly. I would occasionally go to a pro when life would get too busy for her to do it. Good luck & hope this helps.
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayDreaming View Post
I've been cutting my own hair with Wahl clippers for a long time. If you're a guy with short hair, it's really easy and pretty hard to go wrong.
+1
After a military career I was so used to short hair that I've never even considered letting it get longer. Having used the clippers to cut my own hair for the last couple of decades I can attest to it being easy. You can hold a hand mirror in your other hand to get the back of your neck even, no problem.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I used to cut mine with scissors but a few years ago I switched to the Flowbee which works pretty well. You can do the front, top, and sides pretty well by yourself but you need help getting the back of your head right.
I've used a Flowbee since 1982 and attribute this decision as one of the top 10 reasons for my ability to FIRE.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:14 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I am going to find out how I look with long hair. DW has volunteered for some scissor work if I want it.

DW is going to be showing her roots soon. She is not going to be a happy camper.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:31 AM   #14

I have been cutting and coloring my own hair since HS, and I've never been so happy that I can. I cut DH's hair this week, beard trimmer on #3 for the back and sides, I scissor-cut the rest by hand.
I will most decidedly NOT be letting my roots grow in.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:35 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
X3 on flowbee, just cut my hair no mess.
Wife even uses it we have not paid for a haircut in 2 plus years.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:21 PM   #16

I've used this for a couple of years and like it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a vacuum, so you don't have any mess.

I've got it down to where I know the settings the work best. That took a few tries, some of which left me temporarily goofy looking, or more goofy looking than normal.

The challenge for me is my top of the head. I do it with scissors. That's the part I struggle with the most. The sides and back are pretty easy.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I've been cutting my own hair for awhile. I do it in the shower stall. The brand of cutter doesn't matter. I've had Wahl, Remington, and Norelco.

The numbers on the adjustable height/comb aren't transferrable to another cutter. So 3 and 5 are meaningless. Set it to something large, then decrease until satisfied. Then the next day, give it another once over.

I found it is better to cut more often and cut less of a chunk off. You can experiment with different lengths on sides and top, but you might be surprised when you find out that no one even notices.

That is, you could do a hack job and no one would care.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:35 PM   #18

I guess I'll get my wife to cut my hair. We have a Norelco grooming set. On plus side I will save about $40 per month for haircuts until the lock down ends and this virus is contained.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:44 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Haircut places were closed down by me on Friday at 5pm until further notice. I figures guys will have two choices: hair down to the shoulders or buzz cut. I have been buzzing my head to 1/8 every 3 weeks for almost 25 years so I will continue to do the same with my $30 razor.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I've used a Flowbee since 1982 and attribute this decision as one of the top 10 reasons for my ability to FIRE.
Bought one 3 years ago. Works like a charm. Good enough for me!
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote