Join Early Retirement Today

Personal Life Expectancy
Old 08-17-2008, 06:46 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Personal Life Expectancy

Many retirement "experts" (often financial advisors in disguise) recommend planning for a retirement that provides income until age 90+. Yet, the average life expectancy is age 78. After reading an article that portends financial catastrophe from the depletion of social security because of baby boomers living into their 90's, I flip to an article that moans about the relentless scourge of diabetes and heart disease brought on by rising obesity rates, poor diet and sedentary lifestyle. After all, the article warns, two-thirds of American are overweight and one-third of those are morbidly obese, and that by 2040 we'll ALL be overweight.

Medical experts are quick to alert us that diabetes, heart disease, and obesity tend to shorten lifespans ('cause, you know, we couldn't figure that out on our own...). Wouldn't that mean two-thirds of Americans will see their lifespans shortened because of obesity, diabetes and heart disease? So, where are all these people living into their 90's?

According to a life-expectancy test I recently took on the Blue Zone website, I will likely live to 105. The life-expectancy test on the MSN retirement page puts me at 102. I'm 50 now, so I'm halfway there. DH is 57 and refuses to take the tests, but both his parents are alive and well in their 80's. So, maybe we are going to contribute to the coming social security tsunami that will destroy the financial fabric of our country. Heh. Personally, I doubt it. DH and I will live until we die, and each year is good.

Anyway, just my musings on a Sunday morning. What's your personal life expectancy?
ladypatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2008, 07:08 AM   #2

I'd like to help bankrupt the County and SS and be a leech on society until age 90+ but based on family history I expect to kick the bucket at about 80-85.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:15 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypatriot View Post
What's your personal life expectancy?
Both parents made it to 90. One sibling died at 71, another at 77. Bottom line, I have no idea...
Old 08-17-2008, 07:21 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There's longevity (for non-smokers) on both sides of my family, so I'm planning retirement to mid-90's at least. Unfortunately that means I need to work longer, which I am convinced is shortening my left expectancy. Catch 22.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:37 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

There are many indications that I'll be among those who drain the system. Parents are both 87 years old and in relatively good health, still living in their own home. I have an occasional drink, don't smoke. I excercise regularly and am within about 5 pounds of my ideal weight. Socially, I have lots of friends and family nearby (and we all get along great.) Probably the greatest threat to my longevity is the possibility that I'll some day resume my obsession with piloting light aircraft
Old 08-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

My longevity is all over the place Mom still alive and relatively healthy at 93 . Dad died at 69 and brother died at 53 .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting musings, LadyPatriot. They can create charts of the trends but figuring how that applies to an individual, not so easy. Your DH makes a lot of sense not playing the numbers games, refusing to take the tests. In your post, the word shorten jumps out, maybe because you bolded it. For an individual, how can you shorten an unknown number?

For practical purposes I use the number 74, but, of course, for financial planning, it's the great unknown. I like your calling retirement experts, financial advisors in disguise.

Calling it musings on a Sunday morning leads me to, well, muse. If we can't predict the number going forward, can we understand our past numbers? I believe I may be on borrowed time, if so, how long? Do I take the year 2003 when the medical profession reversed a fatal trend? or maybe 1973 when that semi nearly creamed me. Going as far back as I can with the numbers, I muse about the astronomical odds against conception, oops, such talk creeps out at least one of our members.

On to coffee and defrosting the refrigerator. Such are Sunday mornings among the living.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:42 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I believe there is a strong correlation between wealth and life expectancy. Those who are broke are bringing down the average. Saving money for a long life might be a self fulfilling prophesy - but correlation != causation.

Also, as you get older, your life expectancy increases as you dodge those fatal pitfalls ( childhood disease, crashing your mid life crises sports car, etc.).

Actuarial Life Table
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:56 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
I believe there is a strong correlation between wealth and life expectancy. Those who are broke are bringing down the average....
Actuarial Life Table
--

Just as I suspected, poor people are evil!

You must be right because a couple of exceptions to the rule pop to mind: of very rich people throwing their fortune at trying to save a life, to no avail. You can't be too rich, or too thin; the thin live longer if you believe strangers you meet at the cafe.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

84.6 + or - 0.01 roughly speaking.

heh heh heh - the IRS knows.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
Probably the greatest threat to my longevity is the possibility that I'll some day resume my obsession with piloting light aircraft
Yeah, I have that issue too. And the job I just started makes that a very realistic possibility. If I don't get a motorcycle first.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
--

Just as I suspected, poor people are evil!

You must be right because a couple of exceptions to the rule pop to mind: of very rich people throwing their fortune at trying to save a life, to no avail. You can't be too rich, or too thin; the thin live longer if you believe strangers you meet at the cafe.
No way! The working poor pay into SS for a long time and then don't pull anything out! They are our heroes!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:49 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypatriot View Post
Many retirement "experts" (often financial advisors in disguise) recommend planning for a retirement that provides income until age 90+. Yet, the average life expectancy is age 78.
I think the "average lifespan" people like to throw around is for someone being born today. As you get older, that lifespan curve gets adjusted upwards. After all, if you are age 78, the chance of your living to age 78 is already 100%.

If you're old enough to be thinking about retirement, chances are your life expectancy is already somewhat higher than the average. If there are any statisticians on the board, maybe they can explain why it works this way. It's sure confusing to me :confused:
DroopyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:16 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yeah, I have that issue too. And the job I just started makes that a very realistic possibility. If I don't get a motorcycle first.
I've got a motorcycle now....it seems the older I get, the more chances I take.....

Hmmm, maybe my SWR can be higher than 4%.

Full speed ahead!!!!!
Old 08-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #15

DH's mom is already 84. Has had 2 knee replacements, is pre-diabetic, suffers from edema and now arthritis in the shoulders, but I would not be surprised at all if she lasts another 10 years and that our generation may easily last to 100+ (though to me that would be horrifying). The oldest 'cohort' in his family are women already in their nineties.

In the actuarial statistics you have to consider not only infant mortality but also the mortality of younger folk.. if average US lifespan is 78 that's also because many more men (usually minorities) die young than where I live (Italy). That skews the overall mortality rate downwards.

DroopyDog.. it's not as hard as you make it out to be.. imagine a time hundreds of years ago when families would have 5-10 children, many of whom succumbed to diseases like smallpox, influenza, whooping cough, and so on. Maybe the average mortality then was in the range of 40-50 years.. BUT if you survived childhood and additionally, for most women, childbearing.. (or for men, warfare) and you had already gotten to, say, 50.. your chances were then pretty good of living to 60, 70, and beyond.

Quote:
As you get older, that lifespan curve gets adjusted upwards. After all, if you are age 78, the chance of your living to age 78 is already 100%
It sounds like you already pretty much "get it".
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:06 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
DroopyDog.. it's not as hard as you make it out to be.. imagine a time hundreds of years ago when families would have 5-10 children, many of whom succumbed to diseases like smallpox, influenza, whooping cough, and so on. Maybe the average mortality then was in the range of 40-50 years.. BUT if you survived childhood and additionally, for most women, childbearing.. (or for men, warfare) and you had already gotten to, say, 50.. your chances were then pretty good of living to 60, 70, and beyond.

It sounds like you already pretty much "get it".
Grazie la delfina! I think I do understand it intuitively, but if I try to think of how to explain it in terms of math and numbers I get lost quickly.

Just for fun, I tried plugging in different ages on one of those online life expectancy calculators. For the exact same health/behavior characteristics, a 20-year old had a life expectancy of around 79, a 50-year old around 83, and a 78-year old around 89! So, as you said, the older you get, the older you're likely to get!
DroopyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:44 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroopyDog View Post
I think the "average lifespan" people like to throw around is for someone being born today. As you get older, that lifespan curve gets adjusted upwards. After all, if you are age 78, the chance of your living to age 78 is already 100%.

If you're old enough to be thinking about retirement, chances are your life expectancy is already somewhat higher than the average. If there are any statisticians on the board, maybe they can explain why it works this way. It's sure confusing to me :confused:
Looks like you understand it very well. If you want more meaningful numbers, look at expected lifespan at age x, x+1, etc. And even these numbers depend on what tables you use. Annuity tables give you an estimate that is quite a bit longer than life tables. (The tables that insurance companies use to quote life insurance rates.)
Old 08-17-2008, 11:22 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

If you had asked me or my parents 20 years ago what their best guess personal life expectancies would be, we all probably would have agreed that my Dad would make it to about 65 if he was lucky and my Mom was pretty much guaranteed 90.

Now Dad is 72 and has some health issues but is still going strong for now. Mom is 69 and has a disease that makes it unlikely she'll see 75.

So I guess I would say I'll plan on 80 +- 30 years, which is a pretty useless number.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:37 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Life expectancy at 66 is about 86. I expect to reach 90 but not a lot longer. I did a poll here on life expectancy but it appears it is not correlated with early retirement and wealth. This makes some sense as the strongest factor in longevity is genetics, but one sees a fairly wide range of risk taking behaviors exhibited in the same families.
aenlighten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
If you had asked me or my parents 20 years ago what their best guess personal life expectancies would be, we all probably would have agreed that my Dad would make it to about 65 if he was lucky and my Mom was pretty much guaranteed 90.

Now Dad is 72 and has some health issues but is still going strong for now. Mom is 69 and has a disease that makes it unlikely she'll see 75.

So I guess I would say I'll plan on 80 +- 30 years, which is a pretty useless number.

2Cor521
That's an interesting observation, 2Cor521. My siblings and I were sure that Mom would outlive Dad -- family history, health experiences and lifestyle all pointed that way. In fact, Dad outlived Mom by 7 years. Parents of a friend of mine were the same way -- they were sure Mom would outlive Dad, and the opposite happened.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote