personality type

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
We haven't talked about this topic for a long time. There is a link to a short-hand version of the Myers-Brigg personality test on the retire early home page at http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/mbti.html. The personality test itself is here: http://haleonline.com/psychtest/

The theory is that people are primarily introverted or extroverted, sensing or intuitive, thinking or feeling and judging or perceiving.

Many early retirees are INTJ (introverted, iNtuitive, thinking, judging), ISTJ (introverted, sensing, thinking, judging) or INTP (Introverted, iNtuitive, thinking, perceiving) personality types, based on a 2000 survey.

So, with many new people on this site, what is your type?

I didn't take the test until today, when Azanon mentioned he was a INTJ. It turns out that I am an ISFJ, but I was close to half and half on a lot of the factors.

I waffle between ISTJ and INTJ.

I have taken it many times.

Sometimes INTP, Sometimes INTJ - very close on that last one.

INTJ / INTP.  

Every time I take the test (even years apart) I come out INT with a tie-breaker between J and P.

Having said that, my best friend for the past 20 years is a social psychologist.  He'd argue that one's behavior is FAR more determined by the situation one finds oneself in than by personality type.  Research seems to bear this out...

Probably a mixture of personality and situation...

Caroline

Martha said:
It turns out that I am an ISFJ, but I was close to half and half on a lot of the factors. 

Same here:  ISFJ but on a couple of sets, close to half-n-half.

I agree, that would be a great poll, Martha. If memory serves me, I think I'm the exact opposite of the archetype ER person. So if I can LBYM, anyone can. :)

EDIT: Yep, hard core ENFP :p ;)

On this test I am INTJ - however, when I took a longer Meyer's-Briggs version, I am INFJ.

I would  say I have a "practical enthusiasm" or "enthusiastic practicality." I also like to keep my options open as well as have a "skeleton" structure to adhere to in the meantime. I would also say that I'm "thoughtful in my feelings." How's that for screwing up the results?  :LOL:

Billy is hard core INTJ

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Even though this thread is 13 years old (!), it's still interesting and relevant. I read results of a study on retirement preparedness and echoed the results here: INTP, INTP and ISTJ had the most saved for retirement. Makes total sense. As Introverts (I'm INTP preference) we tend to focus more on intrinsic matters. We're not motivated by external displays of wealth, for example, nor a desire to keep up with the Jones'. As Ts we make decisions based on logic and reason -- useful when investing, so we don't do things like sell in a panic when the market takes a dive. The N tends to be future-oriented, good for long term planning. The ISTJ preference is also a planner type. My ex is ISTJ and retired at 58, and I plan to retire at 57.

Back
Top Bottom