Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Pervert
Old 04-16-2006, 08:40 AM   #21

Quote:
It ran up the walls and was hiding above your head. It later escaped.
Could be. I have great respect for rats. Another time our cat brought one in (through the cat door) and lost interest. It outsmarted me for two weeks before I finally got it.

For example, to get water it chewed into the hoses inside the washing machine. And it chewed from the top, so that all the water didn't pour out at once (intentional?).

At one point we had it cornered behind some furniture. It would climb up the drapes to check what the cat and I were doing, then scoot back down.

Finally got it with a glue trap that was nailed to the floor.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2006, 08:43 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny

So what you're saying is that if my kid leaves his bike on the edge of your lawn, you can take it to the dump and theres no problem?
Nah. I am much more practical than that. People care about kids and their bikes. They don't care so much about cats roaming around in violation of leash laws killing animals on their property.

And you can always go pick up your missing cat from the shelter.

Now if there was a missing bike shelter. . .

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:45 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Rats give me the willies.

Old 04-16-2006, 08:52 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No problem with cats here in Bellingham. The coyotes and the owls get them. The deer in the back yard (and front yard, and the street) are real pests, though.

When we lived in Kirkland, up on Finn Hill in the woods, some neighbors thought that vivisectinists were kidnapping cats and dogs and selling them to the University for test animals. I had to laugh. My neighbor and I saw so many coyotes and a fox or two on our early morning walks. We had an owl in our back yard for a long time, too. Cleaned the neighborhood out of cats.

By the way, there are no rats in Alberta. No kidding! No termites that I can see, either. The foundations of some of the homes in Fort McMurray are made of untreated wood! Try that in the lower 48!

Old 04-16-2006, 08:56 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

No termites here either (northern Minnesota). At all. A couple of years ago when we sold our cabin in northern Wisconsin the buyer wanted a termite inspection. The inspector said that there was no termites in this part of the country. But they paid to have him inspect anyway.

Old 04-16-2006, 09:24 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Nah. I am much more practical than that. People care about kids and their bikes. They don't care so much about cats roaming around in violation of leash laws killing animals on their property.

And you can always go pick up your missing cat from the shelter.

Now if there was a missing bike shelter. . .

Well see, theres the thing...I imagine most people care more for their pets than a kid about his bike...but I could be wrong there.

On the flip side, I hate birds. They wake me up in the morning, bug me on the patio with the chirping, and crap on my car. If my neighbor intentionally draws birds, can I take a shotgun to them when they fly over my property?

This is also the first i've ever heard about a leash law for cats. Thats a good one. Cat on a leash
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:51 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well see, theres the thing...I imagine most people care more for their pets than a kid about his bike...but I could be wrong there.

On the flip side, I hate birds. They wake me up in the morning, bug me on the patio with the chirping, and crap on my car. If my neighbor intentionally draws birds, can I take a shotgun to them when they fly over my property? This is also the first i've ever heard about a leash law for cats. Thats a good one. Cat on a leash
It is not how much you care for your cat, it is how much it irritates the neighbors when it poops in their kid's sandbox and kills the birds at their feeder.

If you cared for your cat, you would keep it in your house. Many large cities have both cat and dog leash laws. The idea is that domestic cats belong in the house. What are animal shelters for? No one is going to arrest you for bringing a cat to the shelter after trapping it on your property. When our neighbor was trapping the neighborhood cats, he did it because they would in fact poop in his kids' sandbox. The animal shelter would test the cats for feline leukemia. All the cats he trapped were infected. A big problem, at least in our area, among cats that roam.

Of course, these are the types of neighborhood disputes that can get blown way out of proportion.

The birds. I bet your town prohibits discharge of firearms in town. And depending on the bird, it may be illegal to shoot the bird. At least out of season without a license.

A friend of mine had pigeons infest their attic of the home they bought. They called animal control about what to do. Pigeons weren't protected so they could kill them. Poisoning was too dangerous--other animals could eat the birds and be poisoned as well. Animal control suggested feeding them grain soaked in beer. When the pigeons staggered around drunk, wring their necks.

The bike. If you want to be technical, California has an abandoned property statute and a lost property statute with lots of detailed procedures as to what you have to do. If the bike is worth more than a $100 dollars and you don't know who owns it, you are supposed to take it to the police department. If you know who owns it and they don't come get it, you are supposed to go through a detailed notice procedure.

I bet that other than businesses like banks and landlords, most people don't bother with any of those rules.

Why are we talking about this? Someone pester your cat?

Old 04-16-2006, 10:05 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
When we lived in Kirkland, up on Finn Hill in the woods, some neighbors thought that vivisectinists were kidnapping cats and dogs and selling them to the University for test animals. I had to laugh.
Yeah, that's pretty silly. Restaurants pay much more and there's a better long-term demand!

Quote:
On the flip side, I hate birds.* They wake me up in the morning, bug me on the patio with the chirping, and crap on my car.* If my neighbor intentionally draws birds, can I take a shotgun to them when they fly over my property?
Don't back down, TH, you have Dick Cheney on your side!

Maybe being a lawyer isn't such a hot idea after all...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:20 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Why are we talking about this? Someone pester your cat?
'Cuz I wanted to see how far I could wind you up.

Answer: A lot.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:24 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
'Cuz I wanted to see how far I could wind you up.

Answer: A lot.

You just want me to say the magic words.

Old 04-16-2006, 10:38 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Had I not tipped my hand I think I would have.

Actually I have three cats. All outdoor cats all their lives. All get their shots. All healthy. All over 12 years old. They lie in the yard a lot. The mice I used to have in the house, now I dont. Used to look up every now and then and see a 5lb rat sitting on the fence looking at me. Now I dont. Used to have a lot of noisy, crapping birds in the yard. Now if they're smart, they keep their feathery butts elsewhere.

We have a half dozen animal shelters in our neighborhood. Some have a 48 hour kill policy because they're overloaded. I wouldnt think twice about not seeing one of my cats for a day or two, especially if its nice outside. Under a bush somewhere probably.

I guess some cities might have silly "cat leash" policies, but I'd like to see you get animal control to enforce it. If the code enforcement people wont enforce a law, I guess its not taken very seriously. Or maybe thats a message to some people that if a cat in their yard is their biggest problem, perhaps they need to get a life and find some actual problems worth being concerned over.

Sandboxes have covers.

Everything poops.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:40 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Everything poops.
Yah, JG told me so.

I really get irritated at the neighborhood cats, who don't have their shots and aren't well taken care of. I have to be very careful where I have my bird feeders or omit them all together.

So I never felt bad about my neighbor's trapping program.

Old 04-16-2006, 11:52 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tsk, tsk. No respect for neighbors. First thing I try to do when I see a stray cat on my property is to give it a blast from the garden hose or chase it with a broom. Next thing I do is call Animal Control to try and enforce leash laws. If you don't keep the cat on a leash or keep it indoors, then either the cat or the neighbor has to go.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 12:07 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
LG4NB,

Harbor Freight has the live traps you need:* 20 bucks (tuna not inluded).* They've got stores all over FL.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=9646

Disclaimer:* *The author of this post does not condone or encourage the entrapment and spiriting away of family pets, regardless of the iresponsibility of the owners of said pets nor the damage to wildlife caused by these animals.* Why can't we all get along?* War, good God ya'll, what is it good for?* Absolutely nothin!"
thanx for the link samclem. i happen to have the very same trap already and it is set. i also do not want to spirit away anyone's family pet (even though i do not understand how a family can let a pet loose like that as that is not my definition of a family pet). i have been tolerant of this situation for more than 10 years. the introduction of another 4 local cats and the added irresponsibility of these new owners has made me reach for this last resort.

i happen to have about the most lush gardens in town so wildlife is attracted here. though i have not applied, our city and county offer awards for giving back to nature. the destruction by the cats is rampant. i can not go outside my house without smelling cat crap, piss and spay. i have stepped in cat crap just trying to work in my gardens.

further i pay $435/month health insurance premiums so i don't have any deductibles on my $100/week allergy shots so i can breathe in a neighborhood filled with cat dander. the closer they get, the worse my symptoms. when they get in my car it is intolerable.

the destruction is not just to wildlife which i highly value. they have done, as i mentioned, physical harm to my property. now all they have to do is put a hole in the t-bird and i'm out probably about 2000 bucks.

but the real harm is not even just the decapitations, the killings, the crime against nature, not just the cat crap, just the piss, just the spray, just the destruction to my cars. the real harm is not just these irresponsible neighbors denying me enjoyment of my own property. but the real harm is them forcing me to take action contrary to my own nature. so that is my disclaimer.

Quote:
You might consider this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Its well regarded for keeping dogs and cats out of the yard. I've seen it for a bit cheaper than this, about $50.

Trapping and "relocating" peoples pets may be considered theft of personal property in some states.
thanx for the link cutefuzzy. looks like that might just be what i need to keep the neighbors away from the front of my house.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 12:15 PM   #35

FWIW, I have an aversion to cat dander as well. Have not stayed overnight at my mom's place for about 7 years now - the same period she has chosen to have a cat.

The point to all this is that people need to respect other people's right to their own space.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 12:20 PM   #36

Quote:
I'll take it from the lawyer.* But I figured that luring an animal with food into a trap and then taking it elsewhere might be a bit problematic.
i'm not luring them into my gardens. i'm not enticing them to jump onto the backyard bird bath for a drink. i'm luring them into the trap from when they get by their own volition into my fenced-in property. this is not just a minor problem. this is seriously an infestation.

i try to explain to my neighbors that i've enough death to deal with. they all know i already buried my lover. they all know i already buried my best friend. they all know i am currently burying my mom. they all know i don't need anymore death in my life.

their cats are not the victims here. i go check to make sure hospice is doing a good job with my mom. i come home to have a good cry in my backyard and a freaking cat jumps out at me from behind the bushes. these gardens are my sanctuary. they are not the neighbors killing grounds.

and besides, city code officials and county animal control told me to trap and remove them. so i'm pretty sure i got some legal rights too.

ps. i have no problem with your kid leaving his/her bike on my lawn. in fact, i will even do my best to assure that no cat will piss on it.

Quote:
Or maybe thats a message to some people that if a cat in their yard is their biggest problem, perhaps they need to get a life and find some actual problems worth being concerned over.
how typical for the irresponsible to try & trivialize the seriousness of a problem for which they are the cause. news flash: i got a life. 2nd news flash: i got another life, your cat's.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:33 PM   #37

We started accumulating cats when we lived on wooded acreage with a barn in Iowa. Prior to the cats, the barn would get overrun by mice each Fall, our yard would be covered in mole tracks each Spring, and the planters around the house were infested with some sort of burrowing mouse. We started with one kitten from a nearby farmer who found a cat and her litter in his barn and wanted to get rid of them. Out in rural Iowa, once you accomodate one cat, others seem to accumulate. Once a cat adopted us for long enough, we would bring them into the vet for appropriate shots and a check-up then put a collar on them. But we had owls, hawks and eagles in our woods too, so the cat population fluctuated over time. We had as many as 5 cats at one time. The arrival of cats quikly eliminated mice and moles. It also eliminated the small ground squirrels that had lived at the edge of our woods -- an undesirable effect.

When we moved back to Arizona, we had two cats to bring with us. We set them free in the neighborhood and they did fine for several months. Then one turned up missing. DW checked all the animal shelters and pound, started a search, placed posters, offered a reward, enlisted the neighborhood kids, and talked to all the neighbors. This is when we learned that many neighbors were not at all happy about free roaming cats. Some were especially unsympathetic.

We eventually found the missing cat. Since then both cats are inside cats only. There are still a lot of free roaming cats in the neighborhood, and now they bother me too. They like to sit outside my windows and taunt my cats. One of them tried to attack on of my cats through a screen one time and tore the screen to shreds.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:59 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

All y'all make sure to yell at those damn kids to get the hell off your lawn!
Old 04-16-2006, 04:00 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

CFB, honey, I can't help but dredge up an old post of yours from when we were busy talking about how JG lets his dogs run off leash and doesn't pick up their poop:

Quote:
Sorry in advance JG, but this is from the heart. Actually, no, i'm not sorry.

Ah, so you're one of those a-holes. Guess what, I step in your dogs crap all the time at the park, and you and your dogs having fun off-leash in a leash-required area makes the walk very un-fun for me and my dogs. My dogs are properly trained and realize they are controlled on a leash. When they see an unleashed dog, they feel its a potential threat. While you know what your dog will and wont do, me and my dogs dont. I end up with a very upset and concerned pair of 100+lb dogs and have to go put them back in the car and go home and wash the dog crap off my shoes and my car floor mats.

Very un-fun for everyone else.

Why am I not surprised?
Many of us feel the same about cats.

Old 04-16-2006, 04:02 PM   #40

At one time I had a large mole problem that I could not solve with the standard methods.* *I finally decided to feed the neighborhood cats, and the problem soon went away.* I very soon was feeding 9 cats and various other canyon wildlife (skunks, racoons, possums, and foxes).* I decided to start fixing the cats to cap the overpopulation problem.* *Most would not let me touch them, so I needed to capture them.* The humane society lent me a trap/cage (note: the difference between a cat trap and a skunk trap is that a skunk trap previously caught a skunk).* *I got all the cats fixed (including a neighbor's pet . . . oops!), and the population problem slowly dwindled.* Coyotes, racoons, cars, who knows what did them in.* *I finally ended up with one feral cat who I took with me when I moved.* I made him an indoor cat and he lived for another 5 years.* *

I'm not sure there is a point to this, other than. . . when I interrupted the breeding cycle of the cat population, the problems with cats went away. *