Join Early Retirement Today

Pet Insurance
Old 10-12-2005, 04:57 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pet Insurance

Can anybody recommend a good pet insurance provider?

The first hit google returns is petinsurance.com. Coverage seems reasonable, and cost is about $300/yr for our 5-year-old sheltie.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Pet Insurance
Old 10-12-2005, 05:34 PM   #2

Here's an article about Pet insurance that may be of interest:

http://c04.moneycentral.msn.com/cont...08.asp?Printer
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:57 PM   #3

Thanks.* It turns out that petinsurance.com is VPI, and our vet also recommends VPI.* *It also turns out that they have something like 85% market share.* *I'd like to invest in them!

They also offer a reduced cap policy.* *I just signed up for a $9000 capped policy for $162/year.* *We just paid $500 for surgery on our pup for removal of a benign growth, and I figure this could be the start of many more bills down the road.* * Shelties also tend to have hip problems, and hip surgery could cost something like $2000.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:11 PM   #4

At some point you should consider some prevention for those hip problems.* Our dog gets great relief from this stuff.
http://www.emuhealthproducts.com/synflex_pets.html
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
At some point you should consider some prevention for those hip problems.* Our dog gets great relief from this stuff.
I love dogs (we own 4). $2,000 for hip surgery? Doubt I would spend the money. Hopefully I won't have to make the decision.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks, I'll look into. If you can tell me the dose they use, I may just buy generic glucosamine instead (assuming the research justifies the application).
Old 10-12-2005, 06:58 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't have pet insurance but I have thought about it. I have a female golden retriever and she has a chronic urinary tract problem. I was taking her in every 4-5 months for a shot and antibiotics. I searched the net and found a* urinary tract supplement so I gave it a try. Haven't had to take her back in over a year now. www.drfostersmith.com is another good source for pet supplies.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:23 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Thanks, I'll look into. If you can tell me the dose they use, I may just buy generic glucosamine instead (assuming the research justifies the application).
Gave our 70 lb Lab 1000 mg of generic glucosamine daily. It made a significant improvement in her quality of life.

Old 10-12-2005, 07:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Thanks, I'll look into.* *If you can tell me the dose they use, I may just buy generic glucosamine instead (assuming the research justifies the application).
This stuff is::
Per 1/4 oz
1250mg Glucosamine HCL and sulfate
25mg Shark Cartilage which includes Chondroitin
8mg Boswellin
3mg Yucca Powder
5mg Manganese
1mg Bromelain
5mg Vit C
5mg Omega 3 fatty acid
1.67 mg Omega 6 fatty acid
80IU Vit A
2 IU Vit E

Our dog is 45 pounds and gets 1/3 TSP on her food twice per day.
It seems to have made a real difference.

Another product that might be worthwhile if your dog is younger and not presently hurting, would be "Joint Eze Plus by Sergeants. *Even Wal*Mart has this one. *Sergeants probably has a website to read about it.
Let me know if you find the Glucosamine in liquid form.
Woof, woof
Old 10-12-2005, 07:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Gave our 70 lb Lab 1000 mg of generic glucosamine daily.* It made a significant improvement in her quality of life.

Where did you find this stuff wawa??
Old 10-12-2005, 07:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Where did you find this stuff wawa??
Target.

Old 10-12-2005, 07:34 PM   #12

Quote:
1250mg Glucosamine HCL and sulfate
25mg Shark Cartilage which includes Chondroitin
Thanks -- I did look this stuff up. * It seems to be generally accepted by vets, and the NIH just completed a study (not yet published) for humans.

The brand that vets dispense is Cosequin. * It's 500mg Glucosamine HCL and 400mg Sodium Chondrotin Sulfate. *(2 per day for dogs 25-49lbs).
Old 10-12-2005, 09:25 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Thanks, I'll look into.* *If you can tell me the dose they use, I may just buy generic glucosamine instead (assuming the research justifies the application).
Glucosamine works well in horses, too, it just hasn't been found to be effective in humans (yet). I think the dose is based on weight, although with horses it's not that precise.

It's worth comparing prices online. The horse versions are occasionally cheaper than the dog versions, although you may have to cut up a pill to reduce the dosage, and you can get it by the pound instead of the ounce.

Here's some bookmarks I tried a couple years ago when our kid was still riding dressage:
http://www.equineperform.com/horse_glucosamine.asp
http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...uctclassid=174
http://www.smartpakequine.com/prodcompare.asp?CATID=359
http://www.horsetech.com/triflex.htm...roduct%20Pages
http://www.biomedicalabs.com/animal_health.htm
http://www.kinetictech.net/equine.html

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Glucosamine works well in horses, too, it just hasn't been found to be effective in humans (yet).
From the Arthritis Foundation website:

"Studies on glucosamine are promising. A review of two studies, each of which analyzed more than a dozen glucosamine studies, found this supplement to significantly and consistently improve pain and joint function, as well as or better than conventional drug therapy (NSAIDs).

One recent long-term study conducted in Belgium over three years showed patients with mild to moderate knee OA taking 1,500 mg of glucosamine had 20 percent to 25 percent less pain and disability than those taking the placebo. Researchers also found glucosamine slowed, if not stopped, the progression of the disease and reduced cartilage loss. Glucosamine has been studied only in people with knee or hip OA. More studies are needed for long-term safety and effectiveness to be established."

http://www.arthritis.org/conditions/...de/herbs_g.asp

Old 10-12-2005, 10:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
From the Arthritis Foundation website:

"Studies on glucosamine are promising. A review of two studies, each of which analyzed more than a dozen glucosamine studies, found this supplement to significantly and consistently improve pain and joint function, as well as or better than conventional drug therapy (NSAIDs).

One recent long-term study conducted in Belgium over three years showed patients with mild to moderate knee OA taking 1,500 mg of glucosamine had 20 percent to 25 percent less pain and disability than those taking the placebo. Researchers also found glucosamine slowed, if not stopped, the progression of the disease and reduced cartilage loss. Glucosamine has been studied only in people with knee or hip OA. More studies are needed for long-term safety and effectiveness to be established."

http://www.arthritis.org/conditions/...de/herbs_g.asp

Lots of people swear by gluco.* My neighbor takes a pill at the same time the dog does.* Great improvement to the knees.* A couple annoying side affects- - -I catch him crapping on my lawn almost daily, and once in a while he will try to sniff my butt.* On the upside though, he no longer comes over to mooch my Corona- -nope, just a bowl of water on the patio and he is a happy camper.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:32 PM   #16

Quote:
A couple annoying side affects- - -I catch him crapping on my lawn almost daily, and once in a while he will try to sniff my butt.* On the upside though, he no longer comes over to mooch my Corona- -nope, just a bowl of water on the patio and he is a happy camper.
Yeah, watch out for those side-effects.* *Excessive drooling and bad breath too.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:34 AM   #17

You might want to try Glycoflex, I gave that to my lab and it turned a 12 yr old into a puppy again. It was expensive from the vet but I bought it from KV Vet Suppy on the net really inexpensively. I swore buy it and I'm thinking now of getting it for my current Lab, I just need to research how it might interact with the Phenobarb he takes. In hind site I should have put pet insurance on this little guy, he has epilepsy, had Lime disease twice and allergies.

Cj

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:03 PM   #18

I examined pet insurance a few times. It looked like a nice money-maker for the
insurance company so I decied to pass on it. Too many exclusions, low caps, etc.
I tend to believe in self-insurance for anything that I can afford to anyway,.

The last of my first "family" of 4 dogs passed in Jan 04, all of old age or cancer.
The last, a cairn terrier, had a large tumor in her throat at age 12. Surgery, chemo,
and radiation therapy came to about $8K. It gave her about 27 extra pain-free months
before a rapid 5 day descent. Insurance would have covered very little of it due to
various exclusions. Insurance costs rise rapidly as dogs get older, which is when they
normally need expensive treatments. Remember, insurance companies offer these
policies to make money.

My second "family" has just been completed (3 adoptions of rescued dogs). I looked
at pet insurance to see if it had improved since 1985, but it had not.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:53 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

We have a dog that takes clomacalm, an antianxiety/antidepressant (like prozac) for dogs. It is pricey. We tried ordering a generic version, clomipramine, over the internet. Our vet wouldn't approve the script. When we are back in town, we will follow up with the vet. But right know I am irritated. As near as I can figure, it is the SAME drug.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 05:36 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

We have pet insurance for our 2 dogs through www.petcareinsurance.com

We pay $10 a month each. One has a $50 deductible and the other has a $75. It does not cover vaccination or drugs, although you can get those plans. We live out in the woods and the dogs are very active and always getting into one thing or another. The policy pays for itself with one vet visit to extract 30+ porcupine quills. Not fun.

Our 10 year old lab takes lots of drugs for arthritis, allergies, and other ailments. They all help, but I'm expecting that she will break or tear something sooner or later and I would pay thousands of dollars to keep her around, as long as she isn't pain afterwards. This is why I have the insurance. I see my choice as insurance or credit card debt.