Photo or avatar on Net - Why should it matter?

While I can't say that I understand this line of thinking, it is interesting to learn that someone feels this way. Posting a pretty face, expensive item, or a picture of a beautiful landscape, just tells me that people like nice things. Not sure how it could serve to make the content of their posts any more or less compelling.

Although I do find I get hungry every time I see kyounge's chocolate chip cookies :LOL:

Amethyst

You have a much more charitable interpretation of other's motivations than me. I hope I'm wrong.

Real avatars are the next-best thing to videophones.

Preach it!

I don't understand the obsession with people posting partisan politics on FB. I mean, unless you have a political "litmus test" for friendship there, why constantly piss off half of your "friends" by making them feel like they are stupid or evil politically? I have no desire to alienate "friends" with that crap.

I haven't seen much religion, either from folks popping you over the head with a Bible (or the Torah or the Koran or whatever else) or from militant atheists. But politics? Yeah, big problem. I've blocked a few folks from my wall because they can't shut up about divisive politics.

I've unfriended one and hidden another on FB for the constant political spin, mostly because it was borderline hateful...

As for religion, I get a lot of that, too, but just ignore it...

I've unfriended one and hidden another on FB for the constant political spin, mostly because it was borderline hateful...

As for religion, I get a lot of that, too, but just ignore it...

Same here. I guess those that post on politics and / or religion are so firmly convinced that theirs is the one true way that they really can't go wrong or offend anyone by posting such.

Same here. I guess those that post on politics and / or religion are so firmly convinced that theirs is the one true way that they really can't go wrong or offend anyone by posting such.

Isn't that a requirement for participation in either activity?

This is, BTW, the exact reason I question whether the two terms are not describing the same phenomenom. (Two names are probably required for political or religious reasons.)

Isn't that a requirement for participation in either activity?
I don't think so. It does, however, tend to be true that those who are the most consistently "political" in what they post tend to be considerably more ideological, dogmatic and intransigent with respect to their beliefs than the general public.

You don't see many non-partisan moderates, for example, posting about politics a lot. It doesn't mean they are apolitical, just that they don't pretend they know everything or that public policy salvation always comes from one side of the aisle. And these types of people tend to be much less in-your-face about it -- or make you think you are stupid or evil if you disagree with them.

Back
Top Bottom