Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Why does a neighborhood party picture thread belong in the soapbox? I'm confused...
ProspectiveBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDamien View Post
Why Obama support? I guess I'm not surprised but I dont think his position on gay marriage is anything spectacular. That's all independent of the Donnie McClurkin thing and I can imagine what his church thinks of gay marriage.

Does look like fun though
Are you talking about the GREAT Donnie McClurkin who is a gospel singer?

Washington Post - Donnie McClurkin, Ready to Sing Out Against Gay 'Curse'

Donnie McClurkin, Ready to Sing Out Against Gay 'Curse' (washingtonpost.com)

What is the connection between Mr. McClurkin, Mr Obama and your reference to his church?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
Why does a neighborhood party picture thread belong in the soapbox? I'm confused...
I beleive it became a political issue when Mr. Obama's name was mentioned in the post thus this thread might belong in the Soap Box.

Whether one believes that he is right or wrong Bigwonderfulwyoming has made a request for the thread to be moved to the Soap Box and as such his request should be considered by the moderators.

God Bless Us All
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post

I beleive it became a political issue when Mr. Obama's name was mentioned in the post thus this thread might belong in the Soap Box.

Whether one believes that he is right or wrong Bigwonderfulwyoming has made a request for the thread to be moved to the Soap Box and as such his request should be considered by the moderators.

God Bless Us All
If lazy requested that any replies (I believe he referred to them as diatribes, much like the one of his own which he promptly launched into...) be posted in the Soapbox, then his original posting belongs there, too. Just requesting consistency between the original posting and the considered replies. These gay pride demonstration photos are a Soapbox issue, not a few feel-good photos of the neighborhood block party. Lazy knows it , but feels like he can smugly avoid any responses by requesting that replies be banished to a different forum.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Watch the trolling please.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #25
Administrator

LG4NB's pictures don't belong in the Soapbox any more than my pictures of our town's recent Memorial Day parade. They are just pictures of a parade. Comments on the quality of the photography, whether it was a fun day, etc. are appropriate in this thread.

It was thoughtful of LG4NB to anticipate that some might want to reply regarding homosexual political/rights issues, which would be appropriate for the Soapbox, and to suggest that such respondents do just that, so that we could enjoy the pictures without the political fight that many find distasteful.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:13 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is this (the current state of this thread) what Dex was referring? If so, I agree wih him. It does seem a rather silly use of time.. and energy. (Of course, I could have.. again... missed the point.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:54 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

<<?? "heterosexist posts" ?? Move this thread to the SOAPBOX where it belongs; I would like you to show me examples of this... >>

I think you're doing fine on your own...or do you want me to quote you in the victoria's secret energy thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwonderfulwyoming View Post
If lazy requested that any replies (I believe he referred to them as diatribes, much like the one of his own which he promptly launched into...) be posted in the Soapbox, then his original posting belongs there, too. Just requesting consistency between the original posting and the considered replies. These gay pride demonstration photos are a Soapbox issue, not a few feel-good photos of the neighborhood block party. Lazy knows it , but feels like he can smugly avoid any responses by requesting that replies be banished to a different forum.
er, i think it was a parade...

I'm not trying to fan any flames, but want to point out pretty much 95% of this board is straight-hetero dominated jokes, puns, pictures, avatars and lazy's nice pictures of his neighborhood function get slammed as a political demonstration and his polite request to avoid attacks was ignored.

No more from me on the subject, but I do reserve the right to defend myself!
Old 06-23-2008, 07:22 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

LG4NB, thanks for giving me the chance to learn a new term ("fag hag") ;-).

I am curious what the logic behind "No gay unions then no legal divorces" might be if you care to explain or provide a pointer. I'm not sure where I stand on the gay marriage issue except that I think it should be consistent across the US - which unfortunately it isn't at the moment - and I'm opposed to no fault divorce, but I don't see the logical connection between the two. I don't want to turn your photojournalistic thread into a political or moral debate; I am just genuinely curious.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #29

Quote:
This thread should be moved to the Sexual Preference Soapbox.
...where the Wyoming sheep will also have a don't ask don't tell policy.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:06 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
you'll experience the rare instance of an oppressed crowd on a public street luxuriating in self-acceptance.
And that's a beautiful thing! Nice pictures and it looks like a lot of fun! Once a year my sister and her GF leave their quaint, conservative hometown and travel to the big city for the gay pride and they would not miss it. It's a time when they feel they can be who they truly are, in public, without being judged, derided or persecuted.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice pictures - I'm thinking of Florida /tampa-StPete / as a possible place when I escape the w*rk world, and that looked like fun. I shall miss the NYC parade for the first time in years this weekend - there is a babyshower for a young lesbian friend of the family. [and a POOL. and Trees! and all that 'life outside the city' stuff]

ta,
mews
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #32

Keep posting your pictures Lazy...I enjoy all of them.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:58 PM   #33

see, now this is why i hang out here: lots of really good people. and this is why i use my ignore button when required for the infrequent others. now if only the forum could be tweaked a tad to prevent ignorees from posting on threads started by ignorors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Maybe he'll cover the 4th of July parade next?
yes, i am going to be doing a july 4th series where i'll be flaunting action in the parking lots of gentlemen's clubs, inside bathroom stalls of str8 swinger bars and probably i'll photograph some dry humping heteros beached near where children play just before they set off fireworks. watch for my posted thread in the political soap box section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDamien View Post
Why Obama support? I guess I'm not surprised but I dont think his position on gay marriage is anything spectacular.
even a few gay spectators commented on the political bent of the parade and especially on the obamites. i suppose the politics at the parade can be justified, being a parade of pride in the face of oppression. but my comment was on the obama camp. though i like a lot of what he has to say on many social issues (if i was into guilt by association, well, i'd rather just use the ignore button judiciously), i still have a huge problem with all that chanting.

some brainwashed obamakid came over to us with handouts and tried, without success, to get us to chant along with them. i say brainwashed because you could see on his face that he could not comprehend that we would not chant with him. i only hear those who speak from their heart, not those who chant or chatter mindless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I am curious what the logic behind "No gay unions then no legal divorces"
one is just as unreasonable as the other.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #34
gone traveling

[quote=bright eyed;673684]<<?? "heterosexist posts" ?? Move this thread to the SOAPBOX where it belongs; I would like you to show me examples of this... >>

I think you're doing fine on your own...or do you want me to quote you in the victoria's secret energy thread?

quote]

Please do; there was nothing sexist in my responses.

I think this should be moved to the SOAPBOX because that is where lazy requested that replies be directed. If the responses belong there, the original post belongs there. Nothing homophobic about that.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:24 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

lazy: thanks for posting the pictures. It makes me happy to see people having a great time, especially knowing how many of them face terrible discrimination elsewhere in their lives.

wyoming: [moderator edit]. Seriously. I'm normally not a confrontational person, but you're not contributing anything useful or helpful to this thread. And, unless you've made a habit of demanding that other threads be moved to the soapbox, and I happened to miss all of those posts, your statement that this particular thread belongs in the soapbox implies that you feel gay pride festivals are too 'controversial' to be seen in the regular forums, and that's just plain wrong.
SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:03 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I think this should be moved to the SOAPBOX because that is where lazy requested that replies be directed. If the responses belong there, the original post belongs there. Nothing homophobic about that.
It seems you have a reading comprehension issue in this instance. He posted a non-political thread and requested that if YOU were going to MAKE it into a political issue with your HYPERVENTILATING, that you not ruin everyone else's enjoyment, but instead rant about it in the Soapbox. It would seem you alone are determined to keep ruining the thread until it is closed or moved. How very neighborly of you.
igsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:59 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
...where the Wyoming sheep will also have a don't ask don't tell policy.
Ah Wyoming: where the men are men and the sheep are scared...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:36 AM   #38
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for posting your photogram - it looks like great fun - and you obviously know how to throw a party!
redmcclain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:59 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Why not go to Soapbox, bww, and wank there?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:23 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Why not go to Soapbox, bww, and wank there?
Not enough available sheep?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote