Join Early Retirement Today

Photos of Swiss cat ladders
Old 03-03-2019, 06:25 AM   #1
Administrator

Photos of Swiss cat ladders

They’re sure to exist, but I’ve never seen anything like this in the US. Some photos, with captions, of stylish cat ladders taken from a book by Brigitte Schuster. https://www.theguardian.com/cities/g...ts-in-pictures

There are just a few photos, but one doesn’t need to be a cat lover to appreciate them.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2019, 06:28 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Love 'em!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:54 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Interesting.... when I was 22 I shared a house with 4 other people and we had a couple cats and kept a couple windows open without screens in the summer so they could go in and out.

One night my roommate was trying to sleep and one of the cats kept nuzzling up to him and purring and he kept moving it off the bed. After this kept happening he got up and snapped on the light... turns out the cat wasn't even one of our cats!

We have a cat door for our cat during the summer. At one point were were taking care of DD's cat while when they were living with SIL's parents and dog (cat didn't like dog). DD's cat as actually bringing moles into the house to play with them. We had to put a stop to that real quick.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:45 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cool looking but I find them gross.

I used to date a girl that lived in downtown Toronto. Her townhouse had a back door that led into a communal alleyway where people kept their bins.
She had a cat. And a catflap in the alleyway door.

Yup. Rats.
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:41 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Here cats that go outside are soon coyote cookies.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:35 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Yep, here, too.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep, here too.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:58 AM   #8

We had a few cats that disappeared- presumably eaten by coyotes. The last one has been here 3 years. He's too lazy to venture very far from the house!
Old 03-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Between the wharf rats, squirrels, nutria, raccoons, possums, coyotes, gators, and many other types of wildlife in South Louisiana, not to mention hurricane force winds blowing water directly at the house now and then, I wouldn't feel comfortable with a cat ladder or door.

But that's OK! I don't have a cat or any pets, problem solved. Party on.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:39 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Cool looking but I find them gross.

I used to date a girl that lived in downtown Toronto. Her townhouse had a back door that led into a communal alleyway where people kept their bins.
She had a cat. And a catflap in the alleyway door.

Yup. Rats.
Yeah, I was thinking squirrels, which would be bad enough. Rats. Ugh.

I wish I could let my cat explore the outdoors but there are just too many predators here and small pets don't do well. I give my cat places to climb inside.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Yeah, I was thinking squirrels, which would be bad enough. Rats. Ugh.

I wish I could let my cat explore the outdoors but there are just too many predators here and small pets don't do well. I give my cat places to climb inside.
I don't let my cats outside for several reasons. I live 60' from an old semi-rural two-lane highway. It is not the busiest road around, but lots of folks use it as a shortcut to the major highway. In addition, there are plenty of wild predators around here, and some people in this area let their dogs roam free. I give my cats plenty of climbing trees in the house and they are happy.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:04 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yep. We've got foxes and eagles as well. And raccoons, which wouldn't prey on cats, but certainly wouldn't back down from a fight.
Maenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:15 PM   #13

At my previous place I used to scatter birdseed on the ground to attract birds. This worked, but it also attracted rodents . Some genius mouse or rat figured out how to gnaw through a window screen, and then gnawed through all of the window screens in my place - incredible. In one case, the rodent gnawed through the screen in the kitchen, leapt from the window sill onto the kitchen table, took some bites out of a tomato, and departed.

A neighbor likes to scatter food for the birds. Before I had my garage door fixed, there were droppings in the garage suggesting that a large rat was sniffing around in there, probably attracted by the trash can.

Moral of the story: no easy openings to the outside in my house.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:17 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not particularly attractive to me, but good for the cats where outdoor cats are common I guess.

My cats remain indoors except for the occasional on leash walking session.

A lightweight, well balanced cat burglar would probably also like these.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:33 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
Yep. We've got foxes and eagles as well. And raccoons, which wouldn't prey on cats, but certainly wouldn't back down from a fight.
Yup... our cat is usually within a couple hundred yards of the house so I don't worry so much about coyotes or fox since the immediate area we are in is somewhat densely inhabited, but we do have a big bald eagle in the area occasionally and I worry about the eagle more than anything.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:39 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
At my previous place I used to scatter birdseed on the ground to attract birds. This worked, but it also attracted rodents . Some genius mouse or rat figured out how to gnaw through a window screen, and then gnawed through all of the window screens in my place - incredible. In one case, the rodent gnawed through the screen in the kitchen, leapt from the window sill onto the kitchen table, took some bites out of a tomato, and departed.

A neighbor likes to scatter food for the birds. Before I had my garage door fixed, there were droppings in the garage suggesting that a large rat was sniffing around in there, probably attracted by the trash can.

Moral of the story: no easy openings to the outside in my house.
It might have been a squirrel. A few years ago I took down our bird feeder and put it on a small table near our sliding glass door. A while later, I noticed a small 1 1/2" hole near the top of the screen and silently cussed at DW for doing something to put a hole in the screen and went out golfing. When I got back I found out that DW came back from a walk and there was a squirrel in the house chomping on the bird seed.

DW grabbed a broom and it climbed the screen up by the hole and as she approached it s/he jumped over DW's head and started running around the house. I wish I had been there.... it would have been much more entertaining than golf.

Anyway, by the time I got home she had put the bird feeder away, opened up all the doors to let the squirrel escape and gone to the hardware store and bought a rat trap.

We got about 5 red squirrels with the rat trap before we were done.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:55 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
it would have been much more entertaining than golf.
Is there anything that isn't?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:49 AM   #18
gone traveling

Used to let cats loose, but today the coyotes would have them shortly. Don't see any outdoors anymore.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:37 AM   #19

Housing density does nothing to slow down urban coyotes. google coyote roof pics for a sample. We find coyote scat in the driveway and our development is 5 houses per acre.

Cats should not be let out side. They crap in your neighbors vegetable garden/yard and no, cat crap is not fertilizer. Also cats do not confine their hunting to rodents... house cats become an invasive species taking out native birds and reptiles (and insects).
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:56 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Coyotes are not a problem in Western Europe. There are plenty of domestic cats roaming free here. Birds of prey and foxes are known to go after kittens though.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote