Phrase that came out of the blue

Not me. Never heard anyone say that for the reason shown in your definition.

+1

I get out and socialize with folks from their 30s to their 80s, and I never have heard this, not even once.

omni

I still say "true dat" occasionally, but only tongue-in-cheek, as in "I know I sound ridiculous saying this but I don't really care because it amuses me." :)

I find it amusing that most men think the saying "happy wife, happy life" came out of the blue.

I personally think it came from a lesbian couple in California - *wink*

I think that any narration on NPR must begin with "So".

I thought that was a millennial trait. I noticed it among younger colleagues and millennials in general a about 10 yrs ago. Drove. Me. Nuts. Ask any question or make a statement and the reply always starts with “So, ...”. The more I thought about it, it’s about the same as starting every sentence with “Well, ...”

I thought that was a millennial trait. I noticed it among younger colleagues and millennials in general a about 10 yrs ago. Drove. Me. Nuts. Ask any question or make a statement and the reply always starts with “So, ...”. The more I thought about it, it’s about the same as starting every sentence with “Well, ...”

Guilty... will change from "so" to "ergo".
Thanks for pointing it out.:)

This is one the best 'other topics' threads I've read in a long time. :LOL:

I think it's 'wurd', which I use in place of 'heck yea' or 'you got that right'. I also use 'yo' and 'wut up' for hello. :cool: There's is also 'foshizzle' which can be used to indicate the affirmative, preferably to one of your homies. :D

"and, go !" .... very popular on Facebook when asking for recommendations. Drives me crazy.

"you're good" .... as a response to "I'm sorry"

"literally" ... as someone else said. That one LITERALLY drives me crazy :p

When I was in high school, I would periodically pick an unusual word or phrase and start using it regularly. Then, I would wait until I heard other kids using it. Today, I might look into a career as an "influencer",

OMG! Before I became the boss, I used to do that at work to see how much of an influencer I was; the place was very cliquey at the time. "Outrageous" was one of my many tags.

Once the bosses started using it I knew where I stood.

Last edited:
Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints?

" You're Ugly and Yer Mama Dresses You Funny" Bumper sticker seen by your's truly in Da 9th Ward and perhaps a few other places.

:facepalm: :flowers:

heh heh heh - 'Lord give me strength'. I can't spell strenght the way this guy used to pronounce it but he was born and raised in the 9th ward. ;)

I like My Bad.
It comes from pickup basketball games with no referees. If one gentleman committed a minor foul he would acknowledge it with a My Bad and move on avoiding any escalations.

One that drives me nuts isn't a phrase, but the trailing up of a statement sentence to make a questioning sound? Seems most prevelent in people educated at better universities on the east coast during the 2000's? I wondered how these people's confidence had been shattered, but it may really be they're questioning my ability to understand?
I always hated “my bad”. It just sounds so flipped when a true apology is warranted. It’s like taking responsibility for something and blowing it off all in two words.

One that drives me nuts isn't a phrase, but the trailing up of a statement sentence to make a questioning sound? Seems most prevelent in people educated at better universities on the east coast during the 2000's? I wondered how these people's confidence had been shattered, but it may really be they're questioning my ability to understand?

I always thought that came out of Southern California?

I always thought that came out of Southern California?

"Valley Girl" speak from the 1980s......(popularized by Frank Zappa).....it's even worked its way up here.

My boss used to ask me to "reach out" to people. It got where I'd say I would "reach out" meaning I might call or might email or might mention it when I ran into whomever I was supposed to "reach out" to in the hall. Or, I might do nothing until it was a non-issue. We are both thrilled I'm retired and no longer reaching out.

I have NEVER "leaned in" and hope to heck I never do. I'm sure I've said "true dat", but only in the most ironic way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom