Join Early Retirement Today

Physics question
Old 05-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Physics question

These are the kinds of things my kids come up with:

Assuming two hydrogen atoms starting out motionless at opposite ends of a static universe, with nothing else in the universe and standard gravity. Would they eventually hit each other, and if so, what speed would they hit each other at, and would they still be accelerating when they hit?

(I've no idea; I got a C in physics!)

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Two motionless hydrogen atoms, in a static universe, in the vacuum of space, there is no gravity, so therefore they would not collide.

Actually, I have no idea but I did stay in a Motel 6 once.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'm still trying to figure out where the train that left Chicago at noon and the train that left Philadelphia at two will meet...
Old 05-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
Administrator

Yes, they would collide. They would be accelerating when they collide. Without more data, unable to determine speed at time of collision (although I am not entirely certain about this last sentence).
Old 05-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

The atoms will remain motionless until acted upon by an external force, which there are none. They will not collide.

But, I'd rather talk about in-laws, politics, finance and sex.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, but how many ice cream cones does it take to cover a dog house?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #7

Wouldn't they be attracted to each other by gravitational forces?

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
The atoms will remain motionless until acted upon by an external force, which there are none. They will not collide.

But, I'd rather talk about in-laws, politics, finance and sex.
If there are no external forces, would not gravity cause them to move toward each other?
Old 05-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Yes, they would collide. They would be accelerating when they collide. Without more data, unable to determine speed at time of collision (although I am not entirely certain about this last sentence).
Yet there's the whole quantum-mechanics issue surrounding the chemical/electron bonding to make H2... at some point the two hydrogen atoms would have to stop moving to form a molecule before the two protons collided.

I guess your kids are going to have to calculate when the gravitational attraction will be augmented by the bonding force yet balanced by the protons' mutual repulsion. Surely there's a formula for that somewhere!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #10

If there is nothing else in the universe except the two atoms and conventional gravity, there is gravitational attraction between them which would eventually bring them together. The problem is that at extreme distances the gravitational force would be infinitesimally small, so the acceleration towards each other would be infinitessimally small. Also, the "universe" as we know it is not a fixed size, so there is a problem with the formulation of the problem "at opposite ends of a static universe" since we do not know what size the "universe" has been fixed at, nor how it is made static.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Yet there's the whole quantum-mechanics issue surrounding the chemical/electron bonding to make H2... at some point the two hydrogen atoms would have to stop moving to form a molecule before the two protons collided.
I had not considered this point. I just assumed that the hydrogen atoms have a neutral charge and no electrostatic repulsion, but on a subatomic level, that's not correct.

I think it is safe to say that they would accelerate toward each other.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I think it is safe to say that they would accelerate toward each other.
I'd just hope to get partial credit for the essay question and skip the math...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Assuming two hydrogen atoms starting out motionless at opposite ends of a static universe, with nothing else in the universe and standard gravity. Would they eventually hit each other, and if so, what speed would they hit each other at, and would they still be accelerating when they hit?
Homework?

In a classical model, with no forces acting on them other than the gravitational attraction of each other, and starting from rest, the force vectors point each atom directly at the other, so they won't miss. This would assume an empty static universe except for the two atoms.

Treat each atom as a neutral point mass. Each atom is falling from effectively infinity to the bottom of the gravitational potential well represented by the other atom. (Hint: The final velocity prior to impact will be the same as the escape velocity for the two body system.)
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #14

Since the universe would be spherical, the gravitational force exerted on one atom by the other in any given direction is balanced by the same magnitude of force by that atom from the opposite direction, so neither atom will be set in motion.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:13 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Homework?

In a classical model, with no forces acting on them other than the gravitational attraction of each other, and starting from rest, the force vectors point each atom directly at the other, so they won't miss. This would assume an empty static universe except for the two atoms.

Treat each atom as a neutral point mass. Each atom is falling from effectively infinity to the bottom of the gravitational potential well represented by the other atom. (Hint: The final velocity prior to impact will be the same as the escape velocity for the two body system.)
+1/2 because that is what my first thought was. (I think the sub atomic force would cancel each other out, plus I can't remember what they are).

+1/2 cause I know Paquette is way smarter than myself about this stuff.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:24 AM   #16

Questions like this makes one stop and think. But the the real question is - will we remember to start again?
Old 05-13-2011, 05:23 AM   #17

The only addition I would make to M Paquette's explanation is that, given the extraordinary time frame involved, there is a high likelihood that one or both atoms would disintegrate before they collided.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:25 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

They will slowly accelerate toward each other until they reach the speed of light, at which point they will alter the time-space continuum and jump through a wormhole, back to the future.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:29 AM   #19

According to my calculations, the X sub B bar acting in unison with pose Pi and the sti Zifor would eventually create a hardship on the pose Pi and the resulting collision would be voided by the Wee biz bag. So there you have it.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:13 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Hydrogen is the lightest of compound with atomic number/weight of 1. Therefore, with standard gravity of 32.2 ft/s in a static universe, they will never meet. Unless Oxygen introduce two Hydrogen and become liquid H2O.
The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Sandhog is offline   Reply With Quote