Join Early Retirement Today

Pirates and Big Ships
Old 04-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Pirates and Big Ships

Maybe I'm ignorant of the sea, but I'm trying to imagine how men in a little boat get onto a BIG ship. And additionally, if the big ship know that this has happened previously what they should do to alert them to a little boat approaching the ship that shouldn't be close to them in the middle of the sea.

Can someone who understands this s'plain it to me. Thanks.
ferco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I think you'll find a good discussion of this and other piracy-at-sea related issues on this thread from a few months back: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tes-40809.html
Old 04-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

This could make boarding a bit more difficult. My post from a previous pirate discussion:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...8&postcount=40
Old 04-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been wanting to use this for a while now....

.....carry on...
Old 04-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I have always thought that a large ship could easily divert a threat by a small Zodiac-type boat with a few accurately tossed hand grenades from the larger ship. I now understand that maritime law forbids commercial vessels from being armed or taking shots at pirates or other boats. Seems like we should be changing that darn law ASAP.

Do Israeli ships ever get hijacked? I understand that they are all armed. Perhaps thet are rated as war ships or something like that.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Man that's one sweet lead curtin isn't it?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Little ships are a lot faster and more maneuverable than a supertanker or large cargo ship. As I understand it, they generaly pull close to a ship and point an RPG or two at the ship andmake their demands. I know that if I were floating around on top of a million barrels of oil I would be very respectful of anyone pointing explosives at my ship.

The navies of the world need to rub this threat out once and for all.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Little ships are a lot faster and more maneuverable than a supertanker or large cargo ship. As I understand it, they generaly pull close to a ship and point an RPG or two at the ship andmake their demands. I know that if I were floating around on top of a million barrels of oil I would be very respectful of anyone pointing explosives at my ship.

The navies of the world need to rub this threat out once and for all.
As I understand things they have grappling hooks and ladders, pull up along side the larger ship, while some lay down a barrage of gunfire others scale the ship and are on-board with lots of weapons in a short time.

They don't make their demands until on-board. Note that they are usually very well armed.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

So how do they get away? Do they take along a hostage? Otherwise, the big ship knows their starting location and by now the military has had time to arrive in the neighborhood. Why now blow them out of the water as they leave?
alvarezg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezg View Post
. Why now blow them out of the water as they leave?
....when they scoop the ransom out of the water would it be considered bailout funds?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezg View Post
So how do they get away? Do they take along a hostage? Otherwise, the big ship knows their starting location and by now the military has had time to arrive in the neighborhood. Why now blow them out of the water as they leave?
I was wondering this too. I assume they take the ship to dock in whatever lawless area they come from.

If they just took the money and fled in a small boat with no hostages most naval ships have helicopters that could easily catch them and sink them.

I know the French have actually attacked them on land after these incidents in the the past.

French Troops Attack Somali Pirates After 30 Hostages Freed - washingtonpost.com

(suppressing urge for standard surrender jokes)
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote