Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Places you are considering for retirement
Old 09-07-2005, 08:52 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Speaking of Honduras - did you all work through an agent or website or what? I can't seem to get any good info on Honduras.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2005, 09:20 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Australia or New Zealad are our most likely destinations - possibly to a small vineyard.
The alternatives are six months in southern Europe (South France or Italy) and six months in Asia (Oz, or Thailand/Malaysia)
Honkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:22 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Very interesting to see the early posts about TN. We moved to Nashville about 1 year ago ... we're amazed at how nice the place is, quality of the homes, low taxes, temperate weather, and ... there is a ton of real estate development going on here.

Nowhere near the appreciation we've seen in AZ, NV, FL, CA, but ... respectable, low real estate taxes, and again ... we are amazed at the number of farms being converted to housing developments.

We always thought we'd move back to AZ someday, or maybe summer in OR ... but we've now begun to consider TN for the long run.

From an investment point of view ... I'm wondering if we'll see many retirees from high appreciation / high median house price states pocket their housing profits, and move to states like TN and others with more affordable housing, but nice lifestyles.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:00 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
This is from a tourist's perspective but Hawaii is one of the few places within the US that seems to move to a different beat. People (like everyone) actually seemed happy Huh and seemed to enjoy a good work/life balance Huh

Weather maybe? I loved it (was there 2 weeks) but I wonder if the island thing would get old.
I lived there for a few years, and nope, it never gets old. I'm pretty happy where I am right now for the forseeable future, but were I to return to the US, it would definitely be to Hawaii. I grew up on the Mainland, but whenever I visit Hawaii I feel like I'm home, whereas visiting the Mainland leaves me thinking, "Not my planet, monkeyboy." (Exception: my childhood town in northern New England does feel like home when I visit, but I fear moving back there would leave me feeling as though I had never done anything with my life. Plus, I have become allergic to 6-month winters.)

Bpp
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:01 AM   #45

Presently retired, and DW and I have discussed moving out of Texas. Funny thing, (NOW) is that we were considering returning to my hometown, New Orleans. Sometimes, no decision is a good decision. I'll be reading these posts closely. I can't stand winter, so most of the north is out, even though I love Seattle. The best place I've seen in the world is Hawaii, but, way too pricey. My requirements are warm weather, access to military installation (I'm retired military), in-expensive, and as we are getting older, some fairly good hospital/medical facilities. Oh, and a low crime rate wouldn't hurt. Maybe the best decision, again, is no-decision. I have most of those requirements here and I can jump on a plane now and then for Hawaii.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:43 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkie

The alternatives are six months in southern Europe (South France or Italy) and six months in Asia (Oz, or Thailand/Malaysia)
yeah, Italy, countryside, north of Rome, better yet n. of Bologna, 3 months at a time so no messing with immigration.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:04 PM   #47

Anybody have thoughts about those Sun City over 55 places?*
I have a few relatives living in them and they seem happy, and they do look well run. Apparently they avoid school taxes at some of them.
Any experience with these?
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:09 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My dad lives in one. Likes the golf course and onsite amenities, but this one is unusual in that it owns its own golf course, so golf costs are extremely cheap...half what the other sun city in the area that doesnt own the onsite course.

They're being moved in on by new homeowners with big wallets who want to spend, spend, spend to make the place 'world class', unfortunately the ever escalating homeowners association fees are squeezing some of the less affluent residents. When faced with this situation, the HOA said "well then, they can move".

Sort of draconian bunch too, they have a guy in a golf cart that drives around and tells you what rules you're breaking and insists that you resolve the problem immediate or be cited. My dad had the guy banging on his door the other night because he left his garage door open 6" to let some of the heat out (105 degrees that day). He was told that the latest CC&R regs require that door be closed completely when not in current use. You must submit to a full review of your property for CC&R compliance before listing it for sale. Yada yada yada.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:20 PM   #49

That paragraph alone tells me I couldn't make it there for more than a day or two.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:58 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
Speaking of Honduras - did you all work through an agent or website or what?* I can't seem to get any good info on Honduras.
My first trip was with a humanitarian organization: www.purewaterfortheworld.org/* *I left them at the end of the organized trip and flew from La Ceiba to Utila on my own.* * I just browsed websites for dive shops on the island and picked one that offered a hotel/dive package discount.

I have heard that there is a new airline, AeroHonduras, which flies to SAP from Miami* - and that it is not good - don't know what the problems are but was advised to avoid it.

If you're interested in Roatan - the most developed vacation area, I've read that Continental is doing a direct flight there from Houston - I think it's Saturdays only.

Be glad to provide more details if you have specific questions.

Sheryl

Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:14 PM   #51

Thanks Sheryl. I found some goodies this afternoon on all 3 islands and some additional info in an old Travel & Leisure
Old 09-08-2005, 08:47 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S.
yeah, Italy, countryside, north of Rome, better yet n. of Bologna, 3 months at a time so no messing with immigration.
Fortunately, we are EU passport holders so no worries for us on the Immigration front.

Our presonal favourite is Tuscany, a nice farm house between Florence and Siena would be ideal.
Honkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:53 AM   #53

Although, I haven't been there yet, I thinking about NM and Albuquerque. It has a low cost of living, inexpensive health insurance. I am told it is very bicycle friendly. I started tracking the weather this summer for Albuquerque. Compare to NYC and even Tucson, it appears to comfortable for me, so far. I rarely see anyone discussing either the state or that city. Am I missing something?

MJ
Old 09-09-2005, 08:03 AM   #54

Crime but I guess you can always move out a little ways
Old 09-09-2005, 08:20 AM   #55

Quote:
Crime but I guess you can always move out a little ways
I've spent a lot of time in NM and Albuquerque. I liked it a lot and might
have considered it myself, but I needed big water. Regarding crime,
I have 2 comments. Once I was picking up AMTRAK in Albuquerque
and asked them if I could leave my car at the depot. They told me it was
not a good idea, and that even the employees had frequent breakins
and their vehicles were locked inside a high fence (I left it in a hotel lot).
Also, once you get to the outskirts of town, some parts are shabby in the extreme
(real slums). Add in a pretty high homeless population and I guess I
agree that you should "move out a ways". Everyone seems to love Taos.
Never been there but I'll bet it's expensive.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:47 AM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Taos proper is not cheap. However, there are lots of areas on the outskirts that are not outrageous. I would also submit that "cheap" is relative. Real estate is somewhat pricy if you are coming from flyover country, but a huge bargain for coastal people. Cost of living is pretty modest.

Santa Fe is even more expensive and , IMO, not nearly as "real." Santa Fe does have an awful lot of stuff to do, though.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:22 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
Although, I haven't been there yet, I thinking about NM and Albuquerque. It has a low cost of living, inexpensive health insurance. I am told it is very bicycle friendly. I started tracking the weather this summer for Albuquerque. Compare to NYC and even Tucson, it appears to comfortable for me, so far. I rarely see anyone discussing either the state or that city. Am I missing something?

MJ
I like Albuquerque and considered it my second choice for retirement city -- for many of the reasons you cite. I ended up back in Arizona primarily because I had lived here for 14 years prior to retirement and I was well conected to the community. DW and I still talk about moving to Albuquerque some day. It's not as scenic and interesting as Santa Fe area, but a lot less expensive. You are high enough in altitude to avoid a lot of the extreme heat Phoenix or Tucson get, but not so high that you get a lot of snow. The city has a lot of character because of the Pueblo and Hispanic culture mix. It makes the New Mexico State Fair a really interesting event. Downside is that the crime rate is relatively high. Also, the ABQ airport is limited in terms of direct access. A lot of destinations require a stop in a real big city airport before you get where you want to go.

sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:06 PM   #58

I second Taos over Santa Fe but who knows what may happen once the word is out. Hope it doesn't cheapen the experience.

Agree the weather is much more bearable than say So AZ. The culture is a draw. Some people I know relocated there and they love it but miss the rain in some respects if you can believe that.

SG - I have heard good things about Sedona, AZ., any thoughts?

Also know some people that liked St. George, Utah. It is warm. Close to the National Parks in Utah. Built their own airport. Caters to old farts. Lotta golf.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:44 PM   #59

Quote:
Also know some people that liked St. George, Utah. It is warm. Close to the National Parks in Utah. Built their own airport. Caters to old farts. Lotta golf.
Was through it last year....bustling...lots of home building. A possible negative - remember there was concern about nuclear fallout - increased cancer rates because SG was downwind from the Nevada test site when they did atmospheric tests. Radiation still in the soil?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 02:00 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
Was through it last year....bustling...lots of home building. A possible negative - remember there was concern about nuclear fallout - increased cancer rates because SG was downwind from the Nevada test site when they did atmospheric tests. Radiation still in the soil?
Life in St. Grorge can be a challenge for some.

1. It is in Utah. If you are not Morman...enough said.
2. It get very hot there in the summer.....100+ most of the time.
3. This spring it became flooded due to heavy snowmelt and rain. Many houses were damaged (be careful if you buy one there).
4. It is in a building boom (read hyperinflation of RE prices).
5. It has great golf and you can play all year if you can take the heat. (But it is a dry heat.....so is an oven)
6. Utah is not a great place for retirees due to high taxes (income, sales, pension, and RE).
7. It is close to Las Vegas ( if that floats your boat)
8. It is close to several National Parks as well as the Grand Canyon.
9. It is in the desert so you have to water the crap out of everything you want to stay green.
10. The nearest major city is several hours away so if you like a variety of cultural activities you may have to drive a long way.

Not trying to influence either way...just the facts from one who has been there.