Join Early Retirement Today

Plaster Problems!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Plaster Problems!

The plaster along the junction of ceiling and wall is bubbling and peeling paint. not sure if it is from the chimney(wet chimney) or flashing or roof, or how to be sure which of the above expensive repairs will mean I don't have to do the other expensive repairs. And all before paying for the expensive plaster repair (has some ornamental quality to the molding part). anybody been thru this? We rebuilt the top third of the chimney years ago to supposedly fix this Wet chimney problem...not sure we really accomplished anything.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is there an attic space above the ceiling that you could access to see how much moisture is getting in there and perhaps from where?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #3

Diagnosis is key, as in most things. I would find a good roofer who works on older houses and have them survey it. Tuckpointing the chimney is fine but the flashing to the roof would be my guess. It must be built right into the mortar joints and step with the shingles.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #4

Water damage I've had to my plaster ceilings had staining. I had cracking/bubbling next to the chimney and asked the guy who fixed my ceilings to also fix that plaster and he told me it was just many layers of paint finally buckling. He told me to scrape it off, sand the edges and then re-paint. Maybe this is what's happening in your house?
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote