Join Early Retirement Today

Plumbing shark bite
Old 08-03-2017, 08:39 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Plumbing shark bite

I've been tempted to use the shark bite fittings for some plumbing at my rentals but I seem skeptical of their reliability especially since they slide on so easily , have you guys used these ?
ndnguy822000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2017, 08:49 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Show me a failure of a properly installed one.

I've used a few. I have to admit, they feel rather marginal, but I understand they are extremely well designed. Follow the instructions, mark the pipe so you know it is inserted fully, and they seem to work just fine.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I used a sharkbite elbow for the first time to repair a tub spout at my mom's house. She has copper plumbing and the original elbow to the tub spout came unsoldered inside the wall. I had to remove the toilet tank in the opposing bathroom and cut an access hole to get inside the wall. The copper elbow was right up against a stud (not anchored properly to start with), and very close to the plastic tub surround. So I didn't want to risk trying to resolder the joint with a torch. Using the sharkbite fitting seemed to be the safest and easiest solution, though I did have to cut the pipe back a bit to make room for the larger fitting.

I believe sharkbite fittings are allowed by most codes inside walls. The fitting I used seemed to work well with no leaks, but I still wouldn't trust them if I had any other option. I'm sure that's just personal bias, but they seem most useful for repairs or those with little plumbing ability.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:59 AM   #4

I have used them numerous times and I have some that have been in use for over 10 years. They sure beat draining the line, stuffing with bread, and soldering.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:15 AM   #5

I've used them for at least 15 years without a failure.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #6

I have used them for a temporary fix, and it worked great. They are code, even for interior walls, but I prefer PEX and soldered copper.

I have also used them to attach to the building plumbing to do an air pressure test. I bought a building that had a bunch of split water pipes due to freezing. It worked great.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:34 AM   #7

Built my retirement home in the country , did my own plumbing and used nothing but the Shark bites . I don't understand the concern , they are compression fittings and I will give you 100.00 if you can pull a properly installed one apart. I used them with Pex and it was an easy job for a true novice.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:22 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks guys I truly appreciate the feedback , great community !!
ndnguy822000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:22 PM   #9

Shartbite fittings are great, I've used them. But they're kind of expensive if you're doing more than a few fittings. Sweating pipes isn't that hard, and the tools to crimp PEX connections are a very good investment if you're going to use them more than once.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:30 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We used them in our RV build. Two years bouncing down the road and not a leak. Pretty amazing.

I also used the PEX crimp fittings for a lot of joints but for things like the water heater I used brass shark bite fittings.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I've used them with no problem. I replace4 several toilet and sink valves with shark bite valves as recommended by our condo HOA.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnguy822000 View Post
I've been tempted to use the shark bite fittings for some plumbing at my rentals but I seem skeptical of their reliability especially since they slide on so easily , have you guys used these ?
I've used them and I like them, never had one fail. Still, they depend on an O-ring to make and keep the seal, and they depend on some spring steel to continue to grip the inserted tubing, and I just wonder if that will continue to work, knowing how seals and metals behave over time, for 4 or 5 decades. So, I don't use them in places where I can't see/easily gain access to them (e.g. inside of walls without access panels, etc).
The PEX connections (I use the crimped clamp version) seem more bulletproof to me, and I prefer then to Sharkbite fittings in areas that are hard to access.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #13

Another vote of confidence here: I have used them many times and never had a problem. Not cheap though
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:05 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've also used them. One for an ice-maker connection. Works great.

My only concern would be if you have copper plumbing you may have some electrical grounding connected to the pipes. I would think these would break the connection so I wouldn't use one downstream of the grounding.
Dalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:55 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalez View Post
I've also used them. One for an ice-maker connection. Works great.

My only concern would be if you have copper plumbing you may have some electrical grounding connected to the pipes. I would think these would break the connection so I wouldn't use one downstream of the grounding.
You should seldom see pipe grounding the electrical system since it's been a long time since people grounded galvanized pipes running into the ground.

I have a house that's grounded this way, and I'm getting ready to ground it properly.

Compression and Sharkbite fittings both do well. But they're just so doggone EXPENSIVE to use in construction.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:19 PM   #16

Thanks for the education! Had never heard of these. Gets 5* on Amazon and lots of reviews to look at.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:35 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
You should seldom see pipe grounding the electrical system since it's been a long time since people grounded galvanized pipes running into the ground.

I have a house that's grounded this way, and I'm getting ready to ground it properly.

Compression and Sharkbite fittings both do well. But they're just so doggone EXPENSIVE to use in construction.
Agree on grounding. Need a separate conductor, not plumbing pipe.

As far as "sharkbite" on new construction, I'm pretty sure they would mostly use the barb/clamp type fittings, which are much cheaper, but take the special clamp tool (kind of a pricey tool for a homeowner doing a couple, but not a big deal for a whole house worth).

Still more $ than the copper fittings, but you can have a single line w/o fittings go a long ways, whereas with copper, lots of joints required to get through every turn. I redid a shower, and ended up with dozens ( ~ 40 IIRC) joints to get the H/C water over and up, spaced to the valve, and 45 degree joints to improve the flow. Should have done that with a couple PEX joints.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:45 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

There are other uses for that clamp thing. Cracking walnuts for one.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
I have used them numerous times and I have some that have been in use for over 10 years. They sure beat draining the line, stuffing with bread, and soldering.
+100, although they do cost a bit more....
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Agree on grounding. Need a separate conductor, not plumbing pipe.

As far as "sharkbite" on new construction, I'm pretty sure they would mostly use the barb/clamp type fittings, which are much cheaper, but take the special clamp tool (kind of a pricey tool for a homeowner doing a couple, but not a big deal for a whole house worth).

Still more $ than the copper fittings, but you can have a single line w/o fittings go a long ways, whereas with copper, lots of joints required to get through every turn. I redid a shower, and ended up with dozens ( ~ 40 IIRC) joints to get the H/C water over and up, spaced to the valve, and 45 degree joints to improve the flow. Should have done that with a couple PEX joints.

-ERD50
The tool is getting cheaper though. I'm seriously considering the switch ( from shakbite to barb/clamp). That said, perhaps the biggest advantage of shark bites in my mind is that it can connect copper and PEX flawlessly.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote