Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do You PLAN For and Buy Black Friday - Cyber Monday?
I go out shop brick-n-mortar Black Friday sales 0 0%
I wait and buy online Cyber Monday sales 8 11.59%
I shop brick-n-mortar AND online Black Friday - Cyber Monday sales 5 7.25%
I don’t plan on it, if I buy around Black Friday it’s coincidence meeting a need 56 81.16%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Black Friday - Cyber Monday?
Old 12-01-2019, 07:17 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: Black Friday - Cyber Monday?

Just curious, I suspect this community differs from the mainstream.
  1. We all know Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales are no longer literally Friday & Monday only.
  2. I’m asking about those who consciously wait for and plan to buy Black Friday-Cyber Monday sales - NOT just things you buy by chance just because the need arises while a sale is on.

Black Friday isn’t a thing to me, but if I need something within a week of Black Friday, I’ll wait and buy online. Saved $28 on 4 dozen golf balls this year. And thinking about buying a Simplisafe system, sales ends today.

We have a good friend who calls Black Friday her “super bowl of shopping.” Plans extensively for it every year, mostly brick-n-mortar. You’d never catch me out shopping on Black Friday the day.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2019, 07:43 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

One place I’d been monitoring for prices and very patiently waiting had a Thanksgiving day sale. I thought, “great! Sale comes early this year like some of their competitors.” But then they had even larger price markdowns for Black Friday.

I felt the fool, but looks like I only missed out on about $13.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:49 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
One place I’d been monitoring for prices and very patiently waiting had a Thanksgiving day sale. I thought, “great! Sale comes early this year like some of their competitors.” But then they had even larger price markdowns for Black Friday.

I felt the fool, but looks like I only missed out on about $13.
You never know.

Costco put an item I'd been watching on sale for 33% off the week prior to Thanksgiving. I took a chance and purchased it, thinking it might be lower on BF but that wasn't the case. The BF sale price was $20 more than I paid and it was even higher at the only other location I could find this particular model.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:50 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Most of the things I wanted online went on sale by the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, so no need to wait until Cyber Monday!
Old 12-01-2019, 07:53 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You never know.

Costco put an item I'd been watching on sale for 33% off the week prior to Thanksgiving. I took a chance and purchased it, thinking it might be lower on BF but that wasn't the case. The BF sale price was $20 more than I paid and it was even higher at the only other location that sells it.
DH got a nice break on the new AirPods and shipping this week from Amazon. When he checked this weekend, sale was still on, but shipping had moved out to over a month!
Old 12-01-2019, 07:57 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I don't wait for or plan to buy on black friday or any other day. If I need something, I buy it. usually on the spur of the moment. I've been on a spending spree lately. Probably bought something every day for the past 2 weeks. Mostly online.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:14 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I did wait for BF online sales, but they weren't anything like what I'd hoped for. Nothing to tempt me to buy anything I wasn't already going to get.

Worse, while I was doing something else, a "flash sale" showed up in one of my shopping carts. By the time I got back to the cart and clicked on the sale price, it was over. I called the company, who refused to honor the "flash sale" price (blaming absent authority - "Even my supervisor wouldn't be able to do it.")
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:10 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I have my camelcamelcamel.com pricing search engine loaded with everything I’m on the lookout for. Also keep an eye out for other, non-Amazon deals. This year, I took advantage of:
- 25% off Thanksgiving day deal at Bed Bath & Beyond (Le Creuset)
- 40% off Kill Cliff energy drinks on Thanksgiving
- $48 Roku Ultra on Amazon.com
- $44.99 14-month Quicken Premier subscription
- 25% off Thermapen MK4 on their site
- 25% off REI (North Face Denali Jacket)
- a couple local restaurants offering 20% refund for gift certificate purchases

All in all, we saved a fair amount of money on stuff we delayed purchasing until Thanksgiving/Black Friday.
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:26 AM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

I do all my Christmas shopping online . A lot is done on Black Friday and I finish up on Cyber Monday . A lot of the merchants offer free shipping so why would you go into a brick & mortar store ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:48 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Most of the things I wanted online went on sale by the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, so no need to wait until Cyber Monday!
This.

Also, the bricks and mortars had a lot of sales start the previous Monday. Sure, the reserved a few items for black Friday (need the publicity of the lines and craziness), but much of it was already marked down earlier.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:28 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

the poll needs another option...'fail to participate in either Black Friday or Cyber Monday'. that's us. we stopped buying for each other years ago. my sister and i have stopped gifting...Christmas is about spending time together and....food! all of the gifts we give are small and simple. boxes of cookies, chocolates, magazine subscriptions and gift cards. we have a list of about a dozen or so service providers...the postman, lawn and snow crews, garbage guys, housecleaner, etc...gifts cards mostly. so we mostly don't participate in the madness.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:15 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

LOL! We’re not buying gifts! We’re buying non-holiday stuff for ourselves. Things we wanted but waited for a better price.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:19 PM   #13

I have everyone's Christmas wish list and keep an eye on those items on Amazon. If they drop in price, I snatch it up. If they don't, then I shop for lowest price and buy anyways. By tomorrow night I'll be finished with my Christmas shopping. If I don't find a gift deal, then it's cash or gift card. As my wife always says, 'cash is ALWAYS an appropriate gift.' Ha!
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:21 AM   #14

#4. This year got bluetooth headphones, photography lights, and tires.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:31 AM   #15

My option isn't in the poll: I shop online-only, but pretty much throughout this period (Pre-BF,BF,CM) for items that I want anyway that are on sale:

Videogames are going to have their best deals, and that's on the list for DH and Nephew for xmas
Needed a new fitbit - costco has a great BF/CM deal all weekend (started Thurs)
Was waiting on a good deal from Pottery Barn for a new thing I wanted, held off the past month for today
Stocking stuffers, etc.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:45 AM   #16
gone traveling

My wife and daughter make it a point to slog through the aggressive crowds to get deals on certain items. I have never gone with them, I just start getting more irritated with being bumped, having to shuffle past isle blockers, and waiting in long lines, so I use black Friday as a home project day. I cut 1.5 truck loads of firewood, and drug up more dead/downed logs for cutting out of my creek/woods.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:52 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't answer the poll. I didn't buy anything related to the "sales". I really don't need anything right now. I'll buy a few things for Xmas later this month. I'm moving toward gift cards for gifting more and more.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:13 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I see that 81% of voters in the poll selected, "I don’t plan on it, if I buy around Black Friday it’s coincidence meeting a need"

Not too surprising for this forum. I saw a cartoon a couple of days ago that I thought was true in many regards. It is what pricing of an item is the week of Black Friday.

Tues: $499.99
Weds: $499.99
Thurs: $499.99
Fri: Was $699.00 Now ONLY $499.99!!!!
Old 12-02-2019, 10:45 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I bought some baking ingredients I use often that are not usually available at most grocery stores. They were 25% off and came with free shipping on Cyber Monday (CM). I would have bought them anyway in the near future at or near full price, so why not take advantage of the CM deal. Other than that, I think I will ignore CM, go for a health restoring walk, and then take a nap.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:02 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I just got such a laugh! I went to Amazon, and on the top page it said,

"Gift ideas inspired by your shopping history"

The first gift they suggested was a package of 90 ziplock sandwich bags. What a LOVELY gift that would be for somebody!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote