Poll: Chevrolet Corvette C7 or Porsche Cayman S?

You just won a raffle, and have a choice between:

• 2014 Chevrolet Corvette

Votes: 41 48.2%
  • 2014 Porsche Cayman S

Votes: 44 51.8%

• Total voters
The Cayman is a better daily driver. Build quality excellent. Being mid engined grip and turn in outstanding. Frunk quite big. The S is plenty fast. Porsche FTW. My car. View attachment 19131

I'm impressed with what Porsche has done with the Cayman. I was very dubious when it first came out, but I think they did a great job.

Although I stick by my earlier statement that the 911, to me, will always be the iconic Porsche, I do think the 911 is growing a little too big and bulky and more of a GT car, and losing it's roots as a small, quick, nimble sports car. I think the Cayman and Boxster have more of those traits now.

If I was looking only for dollar-to-performance for the track, I'd get a Corvette. If I was looking for a "reasonably priced" Porsche to just throw around in the corners, it would probably be the Cayman (or Boxster if budget was more an issue). But my ultimate track car will always be a 911 GT3 RS.

Provided the engine doesn't catch on fire, of course :)

+1. Nothing like the sound of a V8.

The "V8 sound" is one of the things I love about my Cayenne S, as does DW, when she's not driving her Boxster.

And yes, I picked the Cayman S - but the C7 is definitely appealing as well - now if "both" was a choice...

I'm impressed with what Porsche has done with the Cayman. I was very dubious when it first came out, but I think they did a great job.

Although I stick by my earlier statement that the 911, to me, will always be the iconic Porsche, I do think the 911 is growing a little too big and bulky and more of a GT car, and losing it's roots as a small, quick, nimble sports car. I think the Cayman and Boxster have more of those traits now.

If I was looking only for dollar-to-performance for the track, I'd get a Corvette. If I was looking for a "reasonably priced" Porsche to just throw around in the corners, it would probably be the Cayman (or Boxster if budget was more an issue). But my ultimate track car will always be a 911 GT3 RS.

Provided the engine doesn't catch on fire, of course :)

I sold a 2001 911 Carrera when I got my Cayman. Loved that car but times change. I didn't really even consider a 911 the new 981 Cayman is that good. I'm keeping my eye out on what Porsche is planning for the GT4 and 960. A gift to myself in a few years when I FIRE??

Here's the test from Edmunds:

2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray Z51 vs. 2014 Porsche Cayman S Comparison Test on Edmunds.com

"The 2014 Chevrolet Corvette is fast. Terrifyingly fast at times. It dares even the best drivers to dial back the electronic nannies. And whatever your skill level, the Stingray's safety nets remove the driver from the equation in a way that also removes some small bit of the experience.
The 2014 Porsche Cayman S is the sports car distilled down to its most pure components. It mixes power and handling in such perfect proportion that driver aids are laughably unnecessary. And its higher build standard yields a sophistication the Stingray can't match. The little Porsche lacks the Corvette's bravado (it won't even do burnouts), and it struggles in any objective measure of speed relative to the Stingray.
But it doesn't matter. The Cayman S is a masterfully executed sports car that makes the numbers virtually irrelevant. It lulls its driver into a state of oneness unmatched by the Stingray. And in doing so it wins this test."

My 63 Corvette convertible is being prepped for sale to make room for the 2015 Z06 Corvette. I'm on a dealer list and if I don't end up getting the 2015, I'll definitely get the 2016. I was fortunate enough to be invited by GM to a special track day event for their 2014 Stingray. I drove both the manual and the auto at Sonoma Raceway on their Nascar track. The new corvette was a blast to drive in either transmission. They have a new 8 speed auto coming out in 2015, if they can keep the auto cool on track days, I will take the auto. This will allow the DW to enjoy taking it out for a cruise. Either way (manual/auto), the new Stingray is a great car.

Last edited:
The Cayman is a better daily driver. Build quality excellent. Being mid engined grip and turn in outstanding. Frunk quite big. The S is plenty fast. Porsche FTW. My car. View attachment 19131

Beautiful car. I test drove several and came close to buying but in the end thought the interior trim was cheap looking for the money. I do like your color choice.

I've had 4 Corvettes over the past 15 years. A C4, two C5's and now a C6. I'll probably buy a C7 next year. All were bought new except for the C4. Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never had any of them in the shop for mechanical failures. A friend of mine has driven Porsche's for years and he seems to have one

You were lucky. I have had four as well, two new '78's, a used '79, and a new '84.

Both '78's I had to have repainted because of all the scratches including one I picked up at a dealer across the street from the factory. Great quality control and great workmanship by UAW members. With the '84, both power windows, digital display and a/c went out within the first 2000 miles. Last American car I ever owned.

My 63 Corvette convertible is being prepped for sale to make room for the 2015 Z06 Corvette. I'm on a dealer list and if I don't end up getting the 2015, I'll definitely get the 2016.

The new z06 looks to make as much of a splash in the sports car world as its predecessor, it will be a beast of a car!

Back
Top Bottom