Poll: Chevrolet Corvette C7 or Porsche Cayman S?

You just won a raffle, and have a choice between:

• 2014 Chevrolet Corvette

Votes: 41 48.2%
  • 2014 Porsche Cayman S

Votes: 44 51.8%

• Total voters

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Both cars offered have the same options and $ value, low 60's. Seems like a question few (car guys especially) would be in the fence about, thought I'd test the theory with a poll, and see which car this crowd might favor.

Other/neither was deliberately not an option.

Attachments

• Porsche-Cayman-S-versus-C7-Corvette-Stingray-Home.jpg
    Porsche-Cayman-S-versus-C7-Corvette-Stingray-Home.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I still sy neither. I like sleepers.

Like almost everything, of course 'it depends'.

And I don't know that much about cars in that price range, but if I won a raffle draw, and had 3 seconds to choose A or B, I'd choose B (the Porsche). I would just think that a Porsche carries more cachet than a Corvette.

Of course if I actually did win either in a raffle, I'd probably sell either after a month or so - I think that's all I'd need to get it out of my system.

EDIT/ADD - that's kinda funny, the Title and the OP said nothing about a raffle - I just threw that in as I wasn't sure what the situation was where I'd be choosing between these cars, I submitted, then went to vote for the Porsche. It wasn't until after I voted that I saw that the poll itself has a separate title, and that has the raffle scenario in it.

Further edit - DW would definitely answer "the yellow one", but I see that's not a poll option (she wouldn't care who made it).

-ERD50

Last edited:
Either would be fun. I'd probably enjoy driving the Porsche a bit more, and it might do better at resale time. But I'd bet the Corvette has a bigger trunk (useful for trips to Harbor Freight) and is probably easier to fit with a trailer hitch for hauling mulch and stuff.

Never been much of a Corvette guy for street driving. I love Porsches, and own a 2006 911.

That being said...

I think the C7 is a huge step forward for the Corvette, and I'm glad to see them putting more emphasis on a better quality interior. As for the styling, I wish they'd been a bit more aggressive, but then I have styling issues with the new 911 also (I don't care for the bug-eyed headlights, nor the Panamera style console).

If I was looking for a car to take to the track, I'd get a Corvette in a heartbeat. There's no denying the Corvette has an outstanding dollar-to-performance ratio. The only thing I wish they would have done is give it a true dual-clutch transmission. Although it looks like they're installing a pretty good auto tranny in the Z06, per this article:

2015 Corvette Z06 8-Speed Shifts Faster Than Porsche PDK | GM Authority

I figure you could get a C7 to the track, dump another $25k in mods in it, and get one hell of a track car that would rival almost anything out there.

If I had been asked this in my 20's I would have gone with the Corvette because of the greater raw power. It will definitely beat the Porsche in a straight line race. Now however, i'd prefer the Porsche. It's more refined, more driveable. Yet it's still very fun to drive(i'd imagine). Also, the Porsche looks better IMO.

Both are mid-life crisis/compensation cars. Neither would be my choice, but since that's not an option, put me down for a Porsche.

Other/neither was deliberately not an option.

But neither is still an option. One can choose not to vote, though the poll does not register that. At my age, I prefer a luxury sedan over a sports car.

PS. Oops. Just saw "won a raffle". I will have to think about this. Hmm...

Guess I am in the minority and would get the Corvette. But I am also a V8 fan, and the Corvette has a lot more power than the Porsche. I am more pro-American as well, so a Porsche does nothing for me. Not sure on repair costs, but I would bet the Porsche is more. The new Corvette is an absolute performance bargain.

When/how do I claim my prize? After all, it says "You just won a raffle, ...". It doesn't say "Imagine you just won a raffle, ...".

A man should be good for his word, right? NW Indiana is not so far from me, I can come and pick it up (the Porsche) if that is best.

Midpack may need to recalculate his WR after handing out all these prizes! ;)

-ERD50

Guess I am in the minority and would get the Corvette. But I am also a V8 fan, and the Corvette has a lot more power than the Porsche. I am more pro-American as well, so a Porsche does nothing for me. Not sure on repair costs, but I would bet the Porsche is more. The new Corvette is an absolute performance bargain.

I voted Vette too.

Although I drive a German car as my "daily driver", I have always been a Corvette guy and hopefully will own another on of these days. German car maintenance (and repairs) are a bit over the top with high labor prices and parts cost.

I suppose if you can afford either car, you would not worry about upkeep cost.:LOL:

I would pick the Corvette, however, both cars are great. This is a no lose scenario. :)

+1. Nothing like the sound of a V8.

Although it looks like they're installing a pretty good auto tranny in the Z06, per this article:

2015 Corvette Z06 8-Speed Shifts Faster Than Porsche PDK | GM Authority
So GM finally came up with an answer to the Porsche PDK (introduced to consumers in 2008, in development in 2003)... :cool:
The General wanted to match the lightning-fast shifts offered by Porsche’s PDK transmission, but no dual gearbox existed that met both of GM’s requirements.

But there's no right answer, it's all personal preference. That's what makes the world go 'round.

I couldn't fully exploit/appreciate what either car has to offer, but then 95% of their owners probably drive them like Buick's 99% of the time anyway.

Last edited:
I picked the Corvette simply because I got to drive one (once, long ago) and loved it.

If given the time, I'd check with a dealer to see which one I could move the quickest and invest the funds. Of course, I'd drive it for a few weeks unless that reduced it's value.

Now if I was in my 20's and had this opportunity while I was living in Germany!!!!!!!!!!

My initial thought was a need a pure sports car and the Vette was the answer. The older Caymens were more of a luxury car with the Porsche nameplate, but I just read some reviews and I guess the 2013/2014 Caymans are a different animal..

Anyway now I'm torn (the poll is 14/14 right now). Still a Tesla can hold its own against a Cayman and loses to Vette so I'll go with the Vette.

If given the time, I'd check with a dealer to see which one I could move the quickest and invest the funds. Of course, I'd drive it for a few weeks unless that reduced it's value.

Now if I was in my 20's and had this opportunity while I was living in Germany!!!!!!!!!!

I took overseas delivery of my Porsche 944 Turbo at the factory, with a nice tour and a ride in their rally car among others, and drove for a week or so in Germany and Switzerland. It was way better than renting a car! But with the break-in requirements I was only able to go to 5000 RPM, which was "only" 136 MPH, on the autobahn. A minor disappointment, since most of the time I was only comfortable at 100 MPH with the visibility and traffic. Past my 20's, but just before we had the kids.

Between those two options C7 - fo sho! :D

I'm a car guy. I love(d) Porsches when they made the driver's cars such as the GT3. I never really liked the Corvettes except for the C6 and C7.

Last edited:
Went through the decision process in 2008 (C6 vs, Cayman) and bought the C6. I was never a "Corvette Guy", but really liked the styling and drivability of the C6 on the highway. I like the styling and interior of the new C7 even better than the C6, but seriously doubt I would buy another.

Hmmmm...German engineering or GM with the dongle problem....

I know I'm wrong in my assessment, but I never could shake the feeling that underneath it all, the Corvette was just some GM sedan with a pretty body thrown over it.

... and I said the Corvette... zero to sixty 3.8 seconds versus 4.4 seconds for the Cayman.

Both beat my '96 Cadillac STS which is only 5.9 seconds. :(

Back
Top Bottom