Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do people become curmudgeons later in life, or are they born that way?
People aren’t born that way, life makes them angry old people 21 22.34%
Curmudgeoness is a trait some are given at birth, this one takes a long time to develop 26 27.66%
Not sure, but get off my lawn! 27 28.72%
Also not sure, but have a nice day 20 21.28%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

But, but, but, as I described one of my earlier bosses, the man often didn't listen long enough to realize that the "old idea" could be really new, or that what was done before failed because of a poor implementation, or because a crucial component was not available earlier in his time.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

I don't care what ya'll say - I gots the Certificate downloaded from this very forum!

heh heh heh -

Now I have to remember where the heck I put it.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
But, but, but, as I described one of my earlier bosses, the man often didn't listen long enough to realize that the "old idea" could be really new, or that what was done before failed because of a poor implementation, or because a crucial component was not available earlier in his time.
"Sometime, not all the time" Bob Dylan.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

I never said that curmudgeons don't often prove themselves right. But I would hate it when I would stay stubborn, and was proven wrong in the end.

In fact, that almost happened to me recently in a consulting job. I made some comments on a very technical aspect of a project, based on my past experience. A couple of young engineers, the age of my kids and fresh out of school, found out differently and very politely asked to demonstrate to me. Damn! They were right and I was wrong.

I was able to save face by further explaining my thinking to them, and the reason I was wrong was because this new gizmo was different than my assumption. Basically, the gizmo that I worked on had a very tough constraint that was no longer imposed on this new device. So, the new problem was a lot easier to solve than the old one that I had to work. I then explained how I solved that old problem, which the young engineers did not know about.

We all walked away happy, all learning something new. In fact, they came back to me for further advice, and I did manage to help them this time.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I fear that once I retire I may become a full blown curmudgeon. - Excuse #43 Maybe work is keeping my behavior slighty disciplined and socially acceptable,
Old 10-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
From the poll we seem to be pretty evenly split. Many self-proclaimed curmudgeons here. We are also Briggs-Meyers “I”s. Could there be a relationship between the two? Are introverts more likely to become curmudgeons?
One of the early er boards came to the conclusion that many ER's are INTJ's.

When we did this in my old work department, the guy took the graded tests and started charting our results on a chart on a white board, and we were to guess who was who. When he came to mine, he drew a dot about 3' outside the upper right corner of the chart (where the driver/drivers were) and said "this guy must be a real flaming asshole!", and everyone looked at me.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It is not so easy to define what a curmudgeon is. An older person but not an angry person, more like difficult and cantankerous, impatient and grumpy. A self-proclaimed realist in a world of idiots and morons. So, also somewhat self-centered and pretentious. The links, along with some of the comments, highlight one aspect – a curmudgeon looks to the past for inspiration and seems less able to understand and deal with the present.
Quote:
And by the way, Merriam-Webster says "Curmudgeon: crusty, ill-tempered, and usually old man."
Whatever definition we agree on, I bet it has Andy Rooney's photo alongside.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

To be PC nowadays, need this photo to accompany Andy's picture.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This made me laugh. Thanks for sharing.

I tend to be introvert, not many words said. But quite an optimist overall and cheery. I think witnessing so much poverty in third world countries where I lead missionay clinics makes me realize how lucky and grateful I am to live here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
When we did this in my old work department, the guy took the graded tests and started charting our results on a chart on a white board, and we were to guess who was who. When he came to mine, he drew a dot about 3' outside the upper right corner of the chart (where the driver/drivers were) and said "this guy must be a real flaming asshole!", and everyone looked at me.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Is that supposed to be a picture of a woman? Hard to tell. Quite sexless, actually. Could be a man in drag. Is that the view of a Curmudgeonly man - sexless?

Amethyst

Quote:
To be PC nowadays, need this photo to accompany Andy's picture.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm... I see your point, but still think the person looks more like a woman than a man. Perhaps we need a poll. But then, we already know how the votes would be split.

What if, when a woman gets curmudgeony (I love to make up words), she turns into a man? Before long, she would grow facial hair. As I said elsewhere, I like to be able to reconcile different theories. There's often an explanation for everything.

Wait a minute. I have heard of old women growing mustache. Could it be? Could it be?

Old 10-08-2012, 03:34 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

I consider myself skeptical rather than curmudgeonly. Or are the really the same thing and I am just rationalizing it.

My Brother-In-Law and one of my best friends could give Eastwood in Grand Turino stiff competition in the curmudgeon dept.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:35 AM   #73
Administrator

Quote:
My mother is an extrovert, yet I find it more and more difficult to converse with her. Yes, I believe she has turned into a curmudgeon.
How can you be sure it is her and not you?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Oh, I have thought about this very same thing.

My siblings have agreed with me that my mom has changed. So, that's one thing in my favor.

But then, we have often been cranky with each other too, among the siblings.

What did I tell you about people getting old? I will soon be, if not already, surrounded by curmudgeons.

ARGHHHH.... I knew that I should have kept working, so I could be around young kids.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #75
Administrator

Quote:
Oh, I have thought about this very same thing.

My siblings have agreed with me that my mom has changed. So, that's one thing in my favor.

But then, we have often been cranky with each other too, among the siblings.

What did I tell you about people getting old? I will soon be, if not already, surrounded by curmudgeons.
A question on my mind is if one is aware he / she is becomming a curmudgeon. I suspect not, which would reinforce your thought that it is not you.

Quote:

ARGHHHH.... I knew that I should have kept working, so I could be around young kids.
Not always and it cuts both ways. Young people also have a way of making you feel older that you really are. I try to spend my time where there are always people of all ages.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A question on my mind is if one is aware he / she is becomming a curmudgeon. I suspect not, which would reinforce your thought that it is not you.
Did you see my earlier post about introversion brings self-awareness to curmudgeons?

What I meant was that I am sure I have become more curmudgeony. But so do other people around me. I know what's happening to me because I am introverted, but my relatives may not know what's happening to themselves because they are extroverted.

Quote:
I try to spend my time where there are always people of all ages.
So far, my children have not avoided me. That would have given me some signals to watch out for.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Sure, in some cases. Just like some old guys grow moobs and their bottoms spread (I still don't understand what drove your "model" to dress up in 1950's drag )

Here is a thought which you have inspired: Perhaps the sexes are meant to become more like each other with age, to the point where younger people can't tell us apart. But that should tend to make us less grumpy, as there would no longer be any need for the so-called war between the sexes!

Quote:

Wait a minute. I have heard of old women growing mustache. Could it be?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Still denying that the scowling person in the photo is indeed a woman, I see.

But I will acknowlege your point that geezers of both sexes tend to lose their sexual distinction as they age. Men tend to grow, ahem, some body parts as you noted, while women grow facial hair, shrink above said body parts, etc... Would the above make us less grumpy as we all look the same? Hell no. I have not grown anything new yet (better go check), but just thinking of the possibility makes me grumpy already. And what battle of the sexes? I thought curmudgeons are indiscriminately cranky with everybody, young, old, men, women...

One thing is for sure. Sociologists and anthropologists who surf this forum have been given plenty of theories from us to prove or disprove, if they run out of ideas of their own to conduct study.

PS. How can you be sure of someone's sex? I remember a couple of scenes from "Crocodile Dundee", when he could not be sure of the sex of the person he was just introduced to. So, he just moved closer to perform a physical check with his hand. I searched youtube but could not find that scene. Hope people still remember what I am talking about.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

I generally tend to ignore button-pushers and cranks. If they persist, one of my favorite 'warning shot over the bow' statements, delivered in a nice low flat tone, is...
"I'm a nice person until I'm provoked."
I follow that up with a huge smile.

I do not consider myself a curmudgeon. I'll balance the rest of the grouches out.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I generally tend to ignore ... cranks.
And here all this time I thought you liked me...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote