Poll: Curmudgeons - Nature or Nurture?

Do people become curmudgeons later in life, or are they born that way?

• People aren’t born that way, life makes them angry old people

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Curmudgeoness is a trait some are given at birth, this one takes a long time to develop

Votes: 26 27.7%
  • Not sure, but get off my lawn!

Votes: 27 28.7%
  • Also not sure, but have a nice day :)

Votes: 20 21.3%

• Total voters

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Do people become curmudgeons later in life, or are they born that way and it just takes so many years to strip away the pretenses?

Interesting question!

It seems to me that as we grow older, and have less time left in our lives, we are less likely to be patient with others (especially with those who waste our time). This can lead to curmudgeonly behaviors.

But then, some people acquire curmudgeonly traits at a relatively young age. :) So, there could be a genetic component. I voted "not sure".

Not sure on the nature vs. nurture question, but I like this description from How to be a Curmudgeon:

...the curmudgeon is a mature person who has taken the time and intellectual effort to reflect upon and critique the world and the way it is constituated and has concluded that, given half a chance, they could run things a heck of a lot better.

Have you ever seen TV commercials trying to get you to part with your savings and invest in some stock or commodity? The tag-end of the thing says, “Past performance is not a guarantee of future returns.” The curmudgeon knows that past performance is about all you got to go on. When people say, “Things are different today,” the curmudgeon knows that the medicine show might be new but they’re sellin’ the same old snake oil.

In short, a curmudgeon is a realist of the highest order, not only seeing things the way they are, but the way they have been and most likely the way they’re gonna be.

a curmudgeon is a realist of the highest order, not only seeing things the way they are, but the way they have been and most likely the way they’re gonna be.

+1

I think its all those crazy other people that make us that way:D

a curmudgeon is a realist of the highest order, not only seeing things the way they are, but the way they have been and most likely the way they’re gonna be.

+1

+2

As I always say, "If you're not cynical, you're just not paying attention."

I"m an angry old man now. I used to be an angry young man.

Its whichever one I feel like it being at any particular time, goddammit!

I used to be a lot cheerier before I got married.

I am what I am (an angry old man) due to my life, and the things I endured (and still do so), along the way.

Many would say that I'm sorry for myself. To them, I would say just walk a day in my shoes (and many of the days I endured along the way)...

The term "life sucks, and then you die" certainly applies to me. I long for peace....

Having been retired for 2+ years and being a member of a private golf club where about 80% of the members are 60+ years old it has struck me how many of them complain of the most minor issues. I think part of the problem is that many of them just don't have enough activities to occupy their free time. Had to laugh when one day we were crossing the street going from one green to the next tee and there was a group of young school kids walking by and overheard one of them say to the others "keep quiet because the golfers here are a bunch of mean old crabby people".

I voted for category #2. As I have gotten older, and my estrogen went away, that, well, changed my outlook. I took off the hormone-ridden rose colored glasses. I changed from I'm OK and you're OK - to I'm not OK and you're not OK, and that's OK!

I voted the "have a nice day option." Though, if there was an option of middle of the road, probably a combination of both nature and nurture, I would have chose that.

Life give you lemons :LOL: and 1) you make lemonade or ) why the heck did life give me lemons!

Last edited:
I'll go with born that way and like many personality characteristics, intensified with age.

It seems to me that as we grow older, and have less time left in our lives, we are less likely to be patient with others (especially with those who waste our time). This can lead to curmudgeonly behaviors.

I voted "not sure" as well, because it wasn't clear which of the two choices were nature or nurture. And I'll make an opposite point which, that while it is true we have less time as each day passes before they place us 6 ft. under, we have more time each day that remains once the demands of work are gone, so I think for many that leads to more patience and "c'est la vie".

Last edited:
Another vote for angry old people who used to be angry young people.

That wouldn't be kosher......

It sure is!

7340510284.jpg

Curmudgeons ae not necessarily angry, and angry people are not necessarily curmudgeons. Look at the occupy movement. Are they curmudgeons? Look at the violent anti-abortionists. Are they curmudgeons?

In fact, it seems that most people mellow out with age. Young people are always full of ideals that they would really really like others to live up to. Old people know that is a lost cause, so they give up on it.

One other thing, it takes no sklls at all to be grumpy. It takes some real intelligence and usually some learning from others and from life to be a curmudgeon.

Ha

Curmudgeons ae not necessarily angry, and angry people are not necessarily curmudgeons.

American English not being my first language I had never heard of a curmudgeon until I joined this site, and had to look it up. I usually equate ill-tempered with angry.

a crusty, ill-tempered, and usually old man. — cur·mud·geon·li·ness \-lē-nəs\ noun. — cur·mud·geon·ly \-lē\ adjective.

I think, in general, curmudgeons are born with seeds of pessimism and anger in their personality, which then grow and blossom as they age.

Back
Top Bottom