Votes: 30 19.1%
  • Northeast -No

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • Southeast -Yes

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Southeast -No

Votes: 10 6.4%

• Total voters
I hadn't heard of this before your post. I grew up in the southwest so your "west" division and have lived between there and pacific for my life.

Northeast and dandelions. Brings back some childhood memories!

I would have said I had no idea what you were talking about, but as I heard it described, I have a vague recollection of doing this as a kid with dandelions.

Midwest, dandelions. The memory brought a smile.

South side of Chicago. We did it with dandelions - what the heck is a buttercup anyway? We looked for a reflection of yellow under the chin. I didn't need a test to knw I liked butter.

Never heard of such a thing. What is the purpose? And how can you possibly tell if someone likes butter by holding a flower under their chin?

I remember doing it when I was about 7.

It was just what you did when you found a buttercup and were outside playing with friends...often while sitting in the grass making daisy chains, that sort of thing.

Never questioned the logic, at that age we were all thinking the Enid Blyton stories were real and putting teeth under our pillows for money.

Grew up on home churned butter, fresh skimmed off the bucket.
Brings back my Skimmed Milk memory....

My uncle had cows, and the bucket would sit and settle, skim the fat off and in the fridge it went... A few years later I had moved to my Dads, everything store bought... well one day I walk into a family owned dairy farm convenient chain store that makes tons of there dairy products... butters ice creams milk cheese.... I see a container marked "Skim Milk"... I was in heaven... its been years... I buy a quart, step out in the parking lot, open and start chugging.... 2nd mouthful I spit all over the parking lot... Seemed they skimmed off everything but the water and white....

I grew up in the northeast and midwest and remember the buttercup test. For us it was not so much a test as it was a childhood prank. Put a buttercup or dandelion under someone’s chin, and as soon as they opened their mouth to ask, stuff it into their mouth. Hilariously funny to an 8 year old boy.

Midwest, dandelions. The memory brought a smile.
This was the intention. A little distraction, just for the fun of it.

I remembered the flower, but didn't remember what the test was purported to discern. So I asked my sisters and one of them found a photo of my grandfather with the yellow flower under his chin and held by my sister at about age 5. Brought a smile.

Northern NJ, along the street, with a wild buttercup.

PNW, dandelions.
Goofy kids game, never knew anyone who "failed", it was always purposed to get pollen on your chin.

Never heard of it, as a kid in CA and to this day after living all around the USA. Until this thread, which I am still clueless about what the test is supposed to do??

I'm from the Northeast. Never heard of it before this.

I like butter - better than bread. I do not like margarine.

PNW, dandelions.
Goofy kids game, never knew anyone who "failed", it was always purposed to get pollen on your chin.

Exactly - rubbing the dandilion on their chin, not just a reflection. Funny thing is that I don't recall ever hearing about this or thinking about it in decades, but I was able to retrieve some faint memories about it after reading the OP.

As I recall, this was a "thing" for kids up to 8 years old. Not surprising you wouldn't remember. I bet you don't recall hating girls, either, but in 3rd grade all the boys insisted they hated girls :LOL:

Exactly - rubbing the dandilion on their chin, not just a reflection. Funny thing is that I don't recall ever hearing about this or thinking about it in decades, but I was able to retrieve some faint memories about it after reading the OP.

As I recall, this was a "thing" for kids up to 8 years old. Not surprising you wouldn't remember. I bet you don't recall hating girls, either, but in 3rd grade all the boys insisted they hated girls :LOL:

But like I said, I DO remember faintly that memory (with dandilions against the chin), despite it never coming up in the decades since... until now. And yeah, I don't remember ever hating girls. My next door neighbor girl was about my age, and we were always friends.

Last edited:
5th generation Californian.
All immediate family from CA.
Never heard of it until I read this.

ETA: as a kid we got margarine for every day and real butter instead on thanksgiving and Christmas. I hated the real butter.
I love real butter now though.

Last edited:
My question, as a kid, was
"Really? Does anybody on earth NOT like butter?" :LOL:

Me! I can't stand butter on anything, and don't like the smell of butter on its own. I won't even put butter on a potato or corn.

But it's my favorite shortening for cookies. Can't taste the butter itself, and strengthens all the other flavors.

I never ate butter until after I left home. We only ever had margarine.

I don't like butter or margarine, either. I use it in cooking and baking, but never on its own to spread on bread or crackers, or to add on popcorn or mashed potatoes. I think that's gross.

Back
Top Bottom