Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you powerwash your driveway?
Yes, I do it myself at least once a year 11 25.00%
Yes, I pay to have it done at least once a year 1 2.27%
No, but I might sometime 14 31.82%
No, it's ridiculous to clean the driveway 18 40.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do you powerwash your driveway?
Old 07-04-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: Do you powerwash your driveway?

I live in TX and driveways here get gunk, mold, mildew on them. So last week the guy next door gets someone to powerwash his driveway and it looks nice.

So today I powerwash all concrete surfaces outside and the patio furniture. I also clean away the algae growing on some parts of the house. But the whole time I am doing the this, I'm thinking, "Is this worth it? Or is this keeping up with the Joneses?"

Do you powerwash your driveway? Pay to have it done? Don't care?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

No, because I have a gravel drive. I do powerwash my concrete porch once a year or so.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I live in TX and driveways here get gunk, mold, mildew on them.
More reasons to stay away from Texas. REW, have you added these to your list?
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
More reasons to stay away from Texas. REW, have you added these to your list?
No, I've been too preoccupied with the construction of an ark. Rain, rain, and more rain.

BTW, I went with 19 inches as the length of a cubit. That sound about right to you?
Old 07-04-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

103 here today, so dont move to california either...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Wow, check out the ads that appear with this thread. I've got to go buy google stock tomorrow.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:33 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Swell, you made me turn off adblockplus...

Reverse mortgage scams?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:05 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Our concrete sidewalks turn brown from "red" dirt so people power-wash all the time. Apparently your sidewalk isn't really "clean" unless it has those power-wash stripe-marks all over it. You'd expect that the developer would leave a powerwasher on every block for the residents to share.

Powerwashing does nasty things to a Futurastone driveway, which I would recommend that no one ever buy. We're stuck with it until we decide to tear it out and put in a new one.

We find that powerwashing a house, when done properly, removes all the red dirt & old oxidized paint. Powerwashing before painting adds a year or two to the adhesion of the new paint job.

Now if I could just find the neighbor's cat that's been marking its territory on our driveway... here kitty kitty kitty, I've got a big surprise for you!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:06 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

When I lived in Texas, I used to powerwash my driveway several times a year for the reasons you mention. Now that I am in Phoenix, I powerwash the pool deck to get the dust off it.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
BTW, I went with 19 inches as the length of a cubit. That sound about right to you?
:confused: What are you talking about? Are you telling me that Texans have their own dialect? If so, I'm not Texan enough.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
:confused: What are you talking about? Are you telling me that Texans have their own dialect? If so, I'm not Texan enough.
Sorry, no confusion intended. No, the term 'cubit' is much older than Texas. I was referring to the unit of measurement used to build Noah's Ark.

From Dictionary.com: "...an ancient linear unit based on the length of the forearm, from elbow to the tip of the middle finger, usually from 17 to 21 in. (43 to 53 cm)."
Old 07-05-2007, 07:40 AM   #12

We just rented a powerwasher on Tuesday. But it was for the deck. I figured we'd get the deck done and have plenty of time to try it on the driveway, but the deck was a much bigger job than we expected and we ran out of time, and energy.

The deck looks fantastic, BTW.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:53 AM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Do you powerwash your driveway? Pay to have it done? Don't care?
I just looked at mine, last night right before the 11:00 news. It looked great! So... no, I guess it just doesn't need it

I'll save my cash for something else really fun.......
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:58 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
No, I've been too preoccupied with the construction of an ark. Rain, rain, and more rain.

ROTFLMAO Thanks for the great laugh this morning - I needed it.
BigBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:00 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I guess this is my opportunity to say how nice the weather is here. It was in the 70s yesterday and will be again today. The sun is shining and all is well with the world.

I do have these urges though to get out with the power washer and do the driveway. It is asphalt so it probably won't look any different when done.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:05 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We have a 1360sqft deck and powerwash it every year to get rid of winter mold. The annual buildup is amazing.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:13 AM   #17

I haven't had to power-wash or scrub my driveway since I got rid my oil-spewing jalopies 25+ years ago. A couple of those pieces of crap fine quality automobiles dumped oil like the Exxon Valdez.

And back then it was power-scrub....with a scrub brush and elbow-grease, along with a good dose of solvents, and industrial strength cleaners.....not a power-washer.

Our driveway is in full sun all day, and never gets any shade, so no mold, moss, or mildew will grow on it. And since there are no unpaved roads for miles around, theres not too much dirt or other crud to get on it. What little dirt or debris does get tracked on to the drive, mostly gets washed off when it rains.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Sorry, no confusion intended. No, the term 'cubit' is much older than Texas. I was referring to the unit of measurement used to build Noah's Ark.

From Dictionary.com: "...an ancient linear unit based on the length of the forearm, from elbow to the tip of the middle finger, usually from 17 to 21 in. (43 to 53 cm)."
Ok, I failed to make the connection between Noah's Ark and "cubit". At first "cubit" sounded salacious to me, so 19 inches appeared to be an exaggeration. But now, it's about right.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:55 AM   #19

I had never done it before, but last weekend I powerwashed my house and part of my walkway to the front door and the front stoop. Driveway is only 1 yr old, so it didn't need it. I had "pop-outs" occur on the front stoop due to the high pressure, so I probably won't powerwash it again. It does look a lot nicer (except for the pop-outs).

Me and 2 buddies from work went in 3 ways on a $75 powerwasher rental. So $25 plus gas (for the powerwasher and the car to pickup/dropoff) plus ~4 hours of steaming super hot work (I had to get on the roof) being soaked with grimy splashback.

I'm guessing I can hire this out for $99 or so. Anyone ever done this? I figure a pro could knock out my house in 1/2 hour or 1 hour. It's only the second story of a split level house, and only 2 out of the 4 walls need cleaning. What prices have you seen, and what should you look for in a contractor?
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:01 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Around here it is $150 to do driveway, patio, walks. It's a good 8 hour job with the areas we're talking about. Took me 10 hours split across 3 days.