Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What's your Facebook status?
Avid Facebook user 23 14.94%
Non-user and happy this way 56 36.36%
Originally skeptical but have become a user 49 31.82%
Used it for a while but dropped out 26 16.88%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2014, 12:19 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not a user, none of my friends use it (mostly engineers, programmers). I did set up a phantom FB account for everyone for when we need to see something there.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2014, 06:42 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I voted for the third choice since that's the closest to what I am. That is, a "reluctant user." I tried to hold out but joined up to be in the loop as friend would talk about things which were months old to them, but just new news to me.

I am still holding out though on the smartphone thing.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I used to routinely send people links to snopes.com to show them the error of their urban legend postings, but even when they acknowledged it, they usually posted another one a week later. I finally gave up and just started ignoring them.
I guess I've been obnoxious enough about it (but IMO, not as obnoxious as the people who forward these stupid things) that people rarely send these to me, or if they do include some caveat like 'not sure if this is true or not, but....).

And then DW forwards one, and thought it was OK because, get this... within the email itself, it said "This checks out on Snopes"!

I had to calmly say to DW - did you check it on Snopes, or did the scammers tell you it was checked on Snopes, and you believed them? If the bank called, and said "This is your bank, really, just ask us, - can we come to your door and have the key to your safety deposit box?".

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I guess I've been obnoxious enough about it (but IMO, not as obnoxious as the people who forward these stupid things) that people rarely send these to me, or if they do include some caveat like 'not sure if this is true or not, but....).

And then DW forwards one, and thought it was OK because, get this... within the email itself, it said "This checks out on Snopes"!

I had to calmly say to DW - did you check it on Snopes, or did the scammers tell you it was checked on Snopes, and you believed them? If the bank called, and said "This is your bank, really, just ask us, - can we come to your door and have the key to your safety deposit box?".

-ERD50
Whenever I'd get one of these multi-forwarded emails which said "This checks out on snopes," I always looked it up myself. Most if not all of the time, it had not been checked out on snopes or one of the other handy fact-check websites such as factcheck.org and politifact. I would often hit "reply all" and refute the bogus claims in the email with my own verifications to the contrary (along with a mild scolding LOL). It got really bad during the 2012 presidential campaign but I figured if I could at least educate some of the email's other recipients (I figured the original sender was a lost cause) it was worthwhile. And if I got removed from the original sender's list, that was fine, too.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

I created a Facebook account and then completely locked it down as an experiment. Using one of the many 'back doors' Facebook leaves open, I monitored the number of times various 'bots poked at the account in different ways.

It's pretty insane.

I'd never put anything about my actual life, my family, or friends on Facebook. I might as well print my name, address, family info, cellphone number, etc on a T-shirt. It's worth bearing in mind that the CEO of Facebook doesn't believe in privacy.

https://twitter.com/nickbilton/status/13012581261

Report: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg Doesn’t Believe In Privacy | Business | WIRED

Facebook's Zuckerberg Says The Age of Privacy is Over – ReadWrite

Mark Zuckerberg’s theory of privacy - The Washington Post
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I created a Facebook account and then completely locked it down as an experiment. Using one of the many 'back doors' Facebook leaves open, I monitored the number of times various 'bots poked at the account in different ways.

It's pretty insane.

I'd never put anything about my actual life, my family, or friends on Facebook. I might as well print my name, address, family info, cellphone number, etc on a T-shirt. It's worth bearing in mind that the CEO of Facebook doesn't believe in privacy.

https://twitter.com/nickbilton/status/13012581261

Report: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg Doesn’t Believe In Privacy | Business | WIRED

Facebook's Zuckerberg Says The Age of Privacy is Over – ReadWrite

Mark Zuckerberg’s theory of privacy - The Washington Post
Maybe he will change his tune when his identity gets stolen and the person cleans out a few of his accounts.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Facebook to communicate with family. That is where we post news & pictures. Email is now secondary to fb, just like texting overtook phone calls. It is hard to keep up.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirka View Post
I use Facebook to communicate with family. That is where we post news & pictures. Email is now secondary to fb, just like texting overtook phone calls. It is hard to keep up.
This is the part I don't understand. You can send a group email with the pictures to the same people and not have FB send you notifications or pokes about "do you know this person" or "so and so wants to be your friend".
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #69

One of these days I'm going to find out what all this talk about Face-something is all about.

But seriously, nope, never signed up and don't intend to.

Several times I've seen some younger folks at w*rk suddenly mad at each other and not talking for no apparent reason. Turned out they had some kind of fight on something called a wall or whatever after hours.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
... It's worth bearing in mind that the CEO of Facebook doesn't believe in privacy...
That's why I found the irony humorous when he called POTUS to complain about the NSA.

ummmm.....it's called KARMA
Old 05-08-2014, 04:33 PM   #71

I use it... rarely. I keep up with the grandkids and relatives in other cities.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote