No, but I'm thinking about it. 24 13.19%
Yes, I have a gun locked up at home. 30 16.48%
Yes, and I carry it on my person. 25 13.74%
Yes, I own several firearms. I'm a hunter. 20 10.99%
Yes, I have a large collection of firearms, small and large. 21 11.54%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 09:59 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
No antiques. I like to have a few "just in case something goes down".

I have a few around the house, in case of a home invasion. I try to never be more than a few feet away from a loaded firearm. I live in one of the safest communities around. No kids here, and my house is not kid friendly.

I have a few carry guns, and if I upgrade the gun just sit on the shelf in the safe. A few shotguns and rifles too (~50).

Often, when I went on a big game trip, I would buy a new gun for it, much the same way a woman might buy a new dress to go to a wedding. I am going to Glacier NP in September, and I will be carrying a firearm there too.

A gun makes a person feel safe, when they know how to use it. When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away.
Probably my all time favorite TV Show JUSTIFIED

"Winona Hawkins: Or I could just call the police.
Wynn Duffy: The police are just a janitorial service used to clean up your blood after you've been murdered."

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2017, 10:01 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
I did put the .22 magnum in my underwear. In case some one wanted to play the "lets take this guy hostage and rape him game".
What do you do when you are in the shower?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 07-09-2017, 10:02 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Nice, You might not have read the post. So in the interest of clarity Ill copy and paste. 1) I have a full carry permit. This is a bit of a rare thing in my fair city. I believe there are 40,000 ish permits and 60 % of those are retired cops. I dont own a bunch, ******I used to carry 3 at work. My 6 shot .38 on my hip, my 5 shot .38 on my ankle(in the summer), in the winter it went in my jacket/coat pocket. And a 2 shot .22 magnum derringer in my underwear. I remember a story of a cop who was taken hostage by the bad guys, they raped him before they killed him. I had every intention of using one of those 2 shots on one of them, and the last one on me before they bent me over. Nice way to make a living right?****** See the star part of WHEN I was at work part? Just for a wee bit more clarity, There were 13 police shoot outs in my pct the first year I was there. The pct went from 127 -155 street and it went about 3 avenues. A euphemism for the place was that it was "a busy area",
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 07-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I'm sure this quote has been attributed to lots of folks, but I think it just might have been Senator Hatch (feel free to correct) who was asked how many fire arms he owned. "More than I need and less than I want."

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:16 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Back when I was 10 or 12 - maybe up to 14, friends and I would sling our .22's over our shoulders and ride our bikes outside of town to plink by a creek or against an aggregate pile. No one ever questioned us or hassled us. Not so sure that would still be the case. Probably mentioned before, our 8th grade teacher asked us to bring war trophies and artifacts (WWII) to class. I brought a Japanese bayonet. I though the 7.7 mm Mauser actioned Japanese rifle I had might have been "too much", but a friend brought a fully functional (but unloaded) German Lugar. We were all congratulated on participating (from bullet riddled German or Japanese flags, to obviously "looted" Iron Crosses and Samurai swords - my Uncle brought home the later item.) Things have changed. Oh, fortunately, no functioning hand grenades, though I brought a practice one with the firing mechanism still functioning (but already used).

Old 07-09-2017, 10:20 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Well I answered the survey as close to accurate.
I picked 3 , as I'm not a hunter, but I have less than 10 so not a large collection.

As a teenager I used to shoot varmints, and had a couple of rifles all my life, but I gave up shooting animals around age 18.

I have 8 in total, 4 rifles and 4 handguns.

One is a WWII rifle, has history behind it, and fun to see that type of gun used in war movies and documentaries.

I don't carry, as I never did all my life, and don't want to feel brave enough to go into some areas.

We don't keep then locked up, as no kids in the house, and easier to grab at night.

We don't answer or open the door if anyone knocks after supper.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:41 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
Why?
A friend thwarted a car jacking with his vehicle weapon (carried between the two front seats). I guess the perp thought better of it when my friend pointed his .44 at the guy who only had a .25 (noted for jamming, but that's another story.) That big bore has that effect on some folks (by the way, it was just a .44, not the magnum.)

Sister's BF in college was followed by several unknown young men. He crossed the street and was followed. He crossed back and was followed. It was then he pulled his automatic and chambered a round. The young men turned and left the scene. There' nothing in this world that can be confused with the sound of chambering of a round - especially a pump shotgun but that too is another story. YMMV

Old 07-09-2017, 10:49 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Sounds like a personal question.:cool smiley:

But seriously, back in the day in coal country, my dad always carried his piece to the privies (and every where else.) To my knowledge, he never shot anyone, but he offered to shoot a couple of guys who said they were going to pull his chin whiskers over some beef they had for several years. He forced the barrel into the biggest ones belly and cocked the hammer. It was a different time and place, but human nature has not changed much - only the technology.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:50 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Why you ask? Well, because I can and the State Of New York has deemed me a law abiding citizen and chose not to infringe upon my rights.
I'm not trying to be political either and am genuinely curious. But your answer somewhat puzzles me. Do you also carry a jar of cow testicles soaked in honey with a twist of lemon? Pretty confident NY has no restrictions on you doing that, but you probably don't. So why the gun?
Old 07-09-2017, 10:55 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Please keep the discussion free from politics.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:12 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

When my mom was a kid her little brother was killed accidentally by a target shooter. She wouldn't even let us have water pistols because they were too upsetting.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:12 AM   #52

Once, as a college student, home on Christmas break, with parents vacationing in FL, I stood inside our locked home with my friend, and watched as a home intruder, silhouetted by a street light, tried both exterior doors at 2 AM. My "friend" was dad's govt. surplus Colt 45 auto. Doors held, and bad guy wandered off leaving tracks in the snow. His lucky day since Dad had trained me on hand gun usage since age 5.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:55 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I picked the last one. Mine number in the mid 30's. I also carry regularly. Mine are all types. Some are antiques, some are pistols and revolvers, some are shotguns, some are hunting rifles, and some are black rifles. For some reason I've never owned a lever action. I might have to get one or two of them.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:27 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Maybe, maybe not. Feel lucky? [emoji56]

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 07-10-2017, 05:39 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Once, as a college student, home on Christmas break, with parents vacationing in FL, I stood inside our locked home with my friend, and watched as a home intruder, silhouetted by a street light, tried both exterior doors at 2 AM. My "friend" was dad's govt. surplus Colt 45 auto. Doors held, and bad guy wandered off leaving tracks in the snow. His lucky day since Dad had trained me on hand gun usage since age 5.
Exactly. There are far too many stories like this. I can mostly control the accidents, suicides, murders, etc. in my own home. I cannot control the psyco person that thinks I am an easy mark and will kill for $20.

I have since installed deadbolts, 3" screws in both the knob strike plate and the reinforced strike plates of the dead bolt. I even put 8 mm window film on my windows that are on any doors. I have 12 security cameras, and a burglar alarm system. You are never 'safe', but when I am traveling at least I can track what is happening at home.

If I am home, I should have advanced notice of an intruder. I have more time as it takes more effort to defeat the extra security measures.

Here I am on a newscast, I volunteered for a ant-burglar segment with the Eagan police. As I kid, I did adventure into a break-in or two (never caught...), and the these fixes would have stopped me.

Easy fixes that stop burglars in their tracks | KARE11.com

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 07-10-2017, 05:42 AM   #56

Very hard to legally own a gun here in The Netherlands. Not that I'd want one.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:28 AM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

My collection right now is all plastic striker-fired pistols. Not all Austrian. Some full-sized, some baby ones easily concealable under a shirt.

My collection is going to quickly grow. There isn't a gun out there you can't get new for well under MSRP right now, and a few manufacturers are throwing on some great rebates on top of that. Added to that, several manufacturers also have military/LE/etc buying programs.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:29 AM   #58

Two handguns locked in a fingerprint recognizing safe. Don't even have the loaded clips in the gun; in event of unlikely break in here want to be fully aware if hear something in dead of night what I'm doing. Rather be in the statistics of blown away than those who blew away DW mistakenly.

Would love to use these firearms but my idea of fun firearms use is secluded area where no care about trespass or noise, know of no such place near this city. Have a gun range but it's just depressing to me to pay $175 a year to be in a noisy interior space with a bunch of others firing at paper targets. YMMV of course.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:31 AM   #59

My friend was stopped for a minor traffic offense once. Around here (Ohio), you're required to inform the officer that you're packing (with a license). Since the police have access to the database of carry permits, he said "I have a concealed carry permit, but I'm not carrying today."

After they finished their transaction, the officer (sheriff's deputy) said "We really wish you'd carry it all the time. Having more trained and ready people around is very helpful to us."

I've heard similar stories from others, so it wasn't an isolated incident, but not what most people would expect to hear.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:41 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

As follow on to this thread, what would be interesting to me, and I suspect to many who carry guns, is what type of gun(s) do you carry in your vehicle or on your person, and why do you carry "that particular" style of gun.

If the mods will allow it, I'll start (or someone else can) a new thread asking the questions.
Closed Thread