Poll:Have Air in Your Spare?

When do you check your vehicle's spare tire?

• On a regular basis (please specify frequency)

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Before a long trip

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Never

Votes: 35 53.8%

• Total voters
I've got this on my 65 Kharman Ghia - clever idea, but mine isn't hooked up.

On my 1971 Super Beetle, I installed a small Trico electric pump and fed from the fluid reservoir to the squirters from that, eliminating the need for tire pressure. I put a hidden switch inside the glove box.

Last edited:
Monthly, along with the other four tires that are on the ground. Seasonal temperature changes make a bigger difference than one would think.

I share ERD50's frustration with the idiots, morons, fools and imbeciles who thought that mounting the spare with the stem facing down was a good idea. They should be taken out and shot. Or at least whipped.

I will check for this the next time I buy a vehicle. If they do that, or if there is no spare at all, that will be an automatic deal-killer.

if there is no spare at all, that will be an automatic deal-killer.

Yeah, I totally agree. Especially if there is no good place to mount a spare acquired post purchase.

I know I'm old fashioned about safety and maintaining our fleet of antique autos (two 1999's and one 2000), but I just can't stand the thought of being on the side of the road someplace with no spare tire or similar situation. Yeah, yeah, I know....... Flat tires are very rare these days. Still, old habits linger. I check my oil and other fluids frequently while refueling and similarly often pop the trunk and poke the spare to make sure it feels fully inflated. I carry jumper cables, a set of tools and an emergency kit. Right out of the dark ages, huh?

My 1999 F-150 (used to tow our camper) has a spare hanging underneath that's never been used. Never had a flat on that vehicle. Still, I'm currently shopping for a replacement since the current spare, although never used, is 18 years old and I wouldn't want to use it for even a short drive while towing.

In our car that came with a "donut" spare, I tossed that worthless POS and replaced it with a real tire and wheel.

Last edited:
Punt.

I owned my last pickup for ten years. Had two flats never could get the safety device to disengage allowing the spare to drop.

First time the EMTs had to rescue my finger from the safety device.😂

Neither of my last two new to me pickups had spare tires. Thus my fingers are safe.

Do carry 3 cans of fixaflat. Yeah, there is always the possibility of blowout that is too big for that. Then just drive on the bad tire or rim for a while.:LOL:

Those VWs had a lot of clever ideas, like the imaginary heater.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Finally... a reason to share a true story, even if it's off-topic...

My '72 VW Westfalia camper originally had as its' heater, an extra casing around the Porsche twin exhaust with pipes that fed into the passenger compartment, providing "heat". By the time I bought "Victoria Von Volkswagen" these casings had rusted out, and the previous owner installed a gasoline ( yeah... tied into the gas line) heater, which was a 6 inch open top galvanized pipe, with a gasoline burner at the base. It was located on the floor, between the two front seats. This was turned on with a switch that opened the gas line, and triggered an electric spark, to light the burner.

Initially, DW absolutely refused to get into the camper if I was going to turn on the heater, as when the spark ignited the gasoline, there would be a small explosion whereby a two foot flame would come out of the "pipe". Not with a BANG, but rather a "SWOOSH".

Since we were into camping, bigtime, back in the 1980's, she finally gave in, but would only get in after the heater was started. My kids would come out of the house, just to watch. Not sure I'd do that today, but in retrospect, it made winter camping just a little bit more exciting.

Thanks for the memories. :)

Last edited:
Part of my new year ritual, I inflate the spare to proper 60 PSI for the tire. Don't inflate again til next year or if used. I do carry a portable inflator in my car in case needs some topping off on side of the road. Oh yeah, have AAA roadside assistance too.

That is one item on my spreadsheet. Done every 12 months. Usually ask the mechanic to do this. I overinflat a bit too.

When I rotate the tires, which is about every 9k miles (4 months or so).

Our SUV's have pressure sensors. My Miata that I recently sold had fix-a-flat for a spare.

Had a flat in one of our SUV's 2 years ago (cut tire-sudden flat). Was reluctant to drive home (3+ hours on freeway) on the spare donut. So, pumped the wounded tire with fix-a-flat, aired it up at the nearest gas station and drove home at highway speeds.

Downside is tire shop is likely going to offer one of two options: a surcharge to clean that glue-like snot out of your tire, or buy a new tire. We went with a new tire. YMMV.Edit -

added the donut comment.

A problem that is beginning to go away.
I was reading recently about how more cars are doing away with spares entirely and just providing a small compressor and bottle of sealer goop. Main reason is simply to save weight.
+1 I recently bought a 2016 Hyundai, and I had a flat. I popped open the trunk, and to my shock, there was no spare! I did find the tire inflator, but the box with the sealant was missing.
I just pumped up the flat tire and took it to the local tire place, which was 5 minutes away.
I then went on line and ordered the whole kit- mounted spare tire, jack, and tools.
I think it is BS to do that. It is OK for a slow leak, but what happens if you have a blowout? No amount of sealant will fix that.

+1 I recently bought a 2016 Hyundai, and I had a flat. I popped open the trunk, and to my shock, there was no spare! I did find the tire inflator, but the box with the sealant was missing.
I just pumped up the flat tire and took it to the local tire place, which was 5 minutes away.
I then went on line and ordered the whole kit- mounted spare tire, jack, and tools.
I think it is BS to do that. It is OK for a slow leak, but what happens if you have a blowout? No amount of sealant will fix that.
For chevy the manuals they say that is what on-star is for to get the tow truck to you, of course that works great in well settled areas but not so great in the boonies.
I always carry a tire pump and because of the small gauge if concerned have a 2 inch round tire pressure gauge, although in general I just use the tpms on my chevy since it will show the actual pressure it senses. (not just a warning light like some vehicles)

All the years I ran all over the oilfield I made darn sure what ever I was driving had a spare. One time in very rural New Mexico, the pickup I was in got two flats on a stretch of sharp rocks along the unpaved road I was on. I had one spare but fortunately, a truck came by and took me the 50 or so miles into town to arrange a towing service. That was a whole day gone to waste.

Ali in all, I can recall about 6 times I had flats while in remote places in the oilfield. If I ever buy a vehicle that comes with no spare, I will buy another wheel and put a tire on it.

A problem that is beginning to go away.
I was reading recently about how more cars are doing away with spares entirely and just providing a small compressor and bottle of sealer goop. Main reason is simply to save weight.

This. My new Volvo has a can of goop. There is a spare you can buy and a kit to make it fit under the cargo area. Since I drive mountain roads I'm going to do this. I guess you lose a couple inches cargo space.

I was at a grocery store looking for lunch last week when i hear a car pull in with a flat. I offered to change it. She said OK so I start in. Everything was right there. Jack, spare was inflated, special lug nuts, tire iron. I was shocked. It was very easy. About 15 minutes and I was done. She handed me a $20. I blew it on lottery tix & cigarettes. (not really, lunches)

I've had my car for close to 11 years now and wouldn't know where my spare is or if I even have one. I do know where my AAA card is though

We don't drive much anymore and our Island is covered by our insurance plan so I call a tow truck if I get a flat. I do have sealer and a 12v pump as well so pretty well covered. Just got a new (to me) vehicle and haven't even figured out where the spare is. I'm working on it. YMMV

Last year I clipped a prefab storm drain intake on the inside of a sharp bend in the street and the corner punctured a sidewall. The spare was nearly flat but I limped a couple of blocks on it to a gas station. You’d think I’d have learned my lesson but no. Thanks for the reminder - I’ll check both vehicles today!

Can't vote. No spare tire in my primary daily drivers. (Run Flats)

Last edited:
The hardest parts of fixing a flat on the road are 1) Getting enough leverage to remove the lug nuts, and 2) dealing with the fiddly jack that comes with the car.

Note that if you do change a tire, you'll want to have the torque of the lug nuts checked as soon as possible - most people would not tighten them enough.

Coincidentally, I just had a flat a few weeks ago and found that my full size spare had air in it. The vehicle is a 2010 4Runner, so at least seven years old. The spare has never been used/touched. I was amazed.

Check the spares at least once a year or before long road trip.

Have bought small Air compressor, patch / plug kits for all vehicles and gifts for the kids.

It has been awhile, but once retired will do a change the flat tire drill with Ms. gamboolgal.

We used to do this decades ago when we drove tires till they were unsafe....lack of monies..... I was very good at swapping tires as I got a alot of practice. Also fuel pumps, alternators, fuel/oil filters, belts/hoses - I had parts and enough tools to do most anything in my old truck(s) no matter where I broke down at.

To be honest, I don't know if our grown adult kids have ever changed a flat tire? Not sure if they would know what to do with the Plug Kit I gave them and the little 12 volt air compressor?

This thread prompted me to check my spare today. Good thing I did. It is a "bicycle tire" spare. Had 11 psi of the 60 psi recommended.

I didn't read all the posts, but our Highlander's spare is included in the TPMS. At first I was annoyed, but realized that since it's a pain to get to the spare (mounted under the truck) this saves me the hassle of checking it.

The spare in the Infiniti is easy to get to and I do check it once every couple of months.

Back
Top Bottom