Poll: Have You Ever Completely Changed Your Mind On A Forum Thread?

Yes. Most recently after reading the thread on 20% tipping being the "standard", I have been more generous. Not sure 20% is my standard now but certainly higher than before.

I've changed my mind on some very big issues -- God, afterlife, male-female relationships, masculinity, nutrition, marriage, mediums, Jesus, reincarnation, myself, ethics, etc. Some of it is still under construction (pardon our mess). I'm very independent minded, so that's meant a lot of fumbling around, learning, and changing my mind. I try to be humble and open-minded. I'm very aware of how many times I THOUGHT I knew something, and I later discovered I was wrong.

However, I've never changed my mind -- not about fundamental issues, anyhow -- because of a forum discussion. I've altered my opinion in light of new information, but that has always been when the discussion is about impersonal topics that I'm not emotionally invested in. I often learn things that expand my awareness, but that's not in the same category as "changing my mind" about a big issue.

In my experience, almost all forum disagreements/arguments about big issues (where the people are emotionally invested in their positions) end with no minds changed. Maybe behind the scenes they rethink their position, but you'd never know it, because people want to save face.

Last edited:
I was told as a young lad never to discuss politics and religion as one can never change another's mind. I will have to add another and that is climate change.

It happens. Especially if I was only partially informed or misinformed going into the discussion. Also many cases where I've gone from no opinion because I knew nothing about the topic to forming an opinion. But I think the most common is that I don't change my opinion for my situation, but I learn that everybody is different, and the answer isn't one-size-fits all, the best example being when to take SS.

I was told as a young lad never to discuss politics and religion as one can never change another's mind. I will have to add another and that is climate change.

I think you’ve got climate change already covered under the politics and religion areas.

I found this site seeking some reassurance I would EVER get ANY Social Security. I was ignorant beyond words, so just a gentle nudge in the right direction led me to a 180.....

I have to research and ponder an issue for a while in order for my opinion to evolve and the forum does trigger a reflection sometimes. But I would not let an online discussion change my mind.

Yep. There are a lot of smart people on this board, and their posts have helped in changing my mind on a few issues.

Don’t know so much about mind changing, unless you count the additional knowledge and perspective gained from participating.

I’ve certainly been influenced by the prevalent financial views held on this forum. I would credit this site with really helping me to a calm down, ignore the noise, things are never as bad as they can seem, perspective. And for that I’m grateful, cause my tendency probably leans otherwise and I know my extended family members live that way. I love ‘em. But they watch too much news and get sucked into the daily shouting matches of the fear mongering networks. This site has really helped me get off that escalator.

But in general, not much on the Internet is gonna cause me to change my deeply held beliefs. This site comes closer than any others though.

Muir

I think so. In most cases if a forum thread is what is leading to the change of mind I may do research beyond the forum thread. Read links in the thread, find my own sources, etc.

1. I recognize this one is perhaps not a complete change of mind but pretty close. Thread on Walmart grocery pickup. Early in the thread I thought it wasn't helpful and posted why. But I researched more and ended up doing the Walmart Grocery delivery with an annual fee. That isn't the same but I saw it as a change of mind. Also I was talking to my daughter and she was talking about trying to stay to her budget and impulse buying in the grocery store and I recommended that she use Walmart pick up as it was perfect for her. Would not have done that before the thread.

2. Password managers -- Used to I was totally opposed to password managers. Based upon a thread several years ago I changed my mind and started using them. In the recent thread, I had always really thought that 2FA using cell phones wasn't a problem really. Now after reading more about SIM swapping I am persuaded that it is best to avoid it.

3. Bunch of things I can't remember now. But I am sure that threads here were instrumental in my change of mind. Oh - here's one. I was uninterested in the Apple Watch and threads changed my mind.

I have changed my mind on issues numerous times over the years. These changes almost always coincide with learning new information about that particular topic. When I feel that the new information invalidates my previous conclusion on a topic then I'm willing to change my mind on that topic. This new information can come from a variety of sources, including blog discussions.

Early-retirement.org is one of the few websites that I follow regularly. I have learned a lot from reading the various discussions. I could not say that I have changed my mind many times based on the discussions here, nor do I keep track of such statistics. But I have been able to develop opinions and conclusions on topics that I knew little about before listening to the conversations here.

Although I don't post much, I do log on every day and read many of the blog threads. I have learned a lot from the collective wisdom of the group, and this continuing education is the primary reason why I stick around. Thanks very much to all of you!

In my experience, most forum "arguments" about important issues (where people are invested in their position) end with both sides more entrenched in their original views. It's possible that someone in the "audience" has their opinion altered, but it's hard to know.
That’s what I was getting at.

But I think I’ve come to a new perspective. While practically no one changes their mind on anything substantial during the course of a forum, the forum” discussion” may spark further follow up, research or discussion with family and friends that leads to a changed POV somewhere (much) later. That’s how it’s more likely to play out. So it’s worth sharing a POV on a thread, it’s just not worth a lot of back and forth as any change will come well after.

I'm relatively new here, but it is quite obvious that there is a lot of wisdom, intelligence, and mutual respect among the group here. I'm much more likely to listen and consider alternate viewpoints here than I am on lesser forums. While we all have our opinions on things, nobody here has an aggressive ego that has something to prove.

Regardless of which side I happen to be on there is always something to learn from the other side. Doubly so when I find myself in the minority. It forces me to examine my perspective and reconsider my position. Life is a learning process. Although changing my mind isn't always comfortable, it feels good knowing that I am willing to listen and learn from others.

And you guys tell some good stories too. ;)

Can someone provide a ferinstance as to the kinds of topics, (since politics, etc, are verboten), where the input from others would generate a 180?

Investing/vehicles, etc, seem to me to offer honing tips which would be conducive to tweaking, rather than causing an about face.

Anybody?

Can someone provide a ferinstance as to the kinds of topics, (since politics, etc, are verboten), where the input from others would generate a 180?

Investing/vehicles, etc, seem to me to offer honing tips which would be conducive to tweaking, rather than causing an about face.

Anybody?

I'd be willing to bet there are some who changed from being stock pickers to becoming index investors. I know one of them extremely well. :angel:

I'd be willing to bet there are some who changed from being stock pickers to becoming index investors. I know one of them extremely well. :angel:

Wouldn't that fall under 'tweaking' though? I dunno, perhaps I'm incorrectly thinking in virtual extremes here.

Anybody?
Off the top of my head, climate change, renewable energy, EV’s, autonomous cars, tipping, some sports threads - repeated lengthy, sometimes contentious discussions with no resolution, or altered views evident in posts.

I’m sure I could come up with mo’ better examples if I thought about for a while.

Last edited:
From this forum, bond funds and when to take SS.
Even though SS is disagreed on alot here I decided to take it at 70 instead of 62 as it fits my life better. It was the opposite before listening to the debate.

Anybody?

Dividend stocks vs balanced index, RE topics( including landlordship), mortgage vs pay off the house, when to take SS and dast I say it - going without heath insurance. And on other forums - commodities, precious metals and REITs.

heh heh heh - and switching the Chief's to "my boys' after 15 years post Katrina. :cool: As to err 'climate change' my feet have 1000 feet give or take vs 12 above Gulf Tide elevation before Katrina.

I don't remember changing my mind due to a single forum topic. But certainly over my time with the forum I've changed.

My most relevant change was from individual stocks, through equity mutual funds sliced-and-diced, to a four-fund index portfolio, with bonds! I can't any portfolio did better than the others, but what I have now is tons easier to manage, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. Some of that change is just growing older, but the many examples here played a major part.

For me any forum is a great place for ideas, warnings/news on things I hadn't known of before, and helping others by contributing. I don't expect to be converted by one thread, but it might lead to days of research. Some important topics for me have been the 4% rule, Individual 401k's, Roth conversions, and backdoor Roth contributions. All old hat for many of us now, but not common knowledge elsewhere and most were not even on my radar before I joined.

Anybody?

Well, I know it was at the bottom of a page and hard to see, but I mentioned this one a few posts back:
For example, for many years I thought it was INSANE for anybody to claim SS at age 62. It would have been crazy to do that, in my case. But after reading many threads on this forum about when to claim SS, I now think it depends on the individual situation. When F claimed his at age 62, I didn't even flip out because in his situation it was the right thing to do. :D
Definitely not honing or tweaking.

So it’s worth sharing a POV on a thread, it’s just not worth a lot of back and forth as any change will come well after.

For me, it has often been the back and forth that has been the most valuable. Someone can assert anything, but often the back and forth helps to assess the various positions. Also, it can help me to consider issues I was unaware of. It was back and forth that brought up SIM swapping on your thread on password managers. And, that led to some of my changed view of using cell phones for 2FA

Back
Top Bottom