Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: It's that time of year. How far along are you on shopping for holiday gifts?
What, are you kidding? I took care of that weeks ago. 4 11.43%
Just finished. 3 8.57%
More than half done. 6 17.14%
Less than half done. 5 14.29%
Haven't started yet. 12 34.29%
Holiday shopping? What's that? (Or, we don't exchange gifts.) 5 14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Have you finished (or started) your holiday shopping?
Old 12-05-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Poll: Have you finished (or started) your holiday shopping?

I confess to checking "haven't started yet." In fact, this post is me procrastinating when I should be thinking about shopping.

One reason - besides normal procrastination - is that I find shopping difficult when most of the family members on my list are well-off and don't need much of anything. My nieces and nephews (ages 1-5) have basements full of every conceivable toy and shelves full of DVDs. I'd buy them an experience, like taking them to the zoo, but we won't be there in person around the holidays this year. So, it's a real challenge to come up with a gift that they'll actually appreciate and use.

I find gourmet food items work well for the grown-ups. Anything else tends to gather dust, and we're all trying to declutter our houses to some extent.

How about you? Care to share your strategies for successful gift shopping?
Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Poll: Have you finished (or started) your holiday shopping?
Old 12-05-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hey, this poll is discriminating What about people like me who don't know what "holiday shopping" is?

sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
Hey, this poll is discriminating What about people like me who don't know what "holiday shopping" is?
People like you are to be envied, that's what. I'll add an option.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Usually the last week and sometimes on Christmas eve. I just hate shopping in general. I'll bet most ladies on the board are done. I know my DW is.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

We talked to our kids about "downsizing" Christmas further this year. My son starts college next year, so we are reining in our budget. Both kids are past the "cool toy" stage. For the last three years, I have asked them to give me a prioritized list of most wanted presents and I set a upper limt on spending. They have cooperated without a lot of fuss.

Anyway, I asked if we could ratchet back to just stockings this year. Since they want mostly stocking-sized gifts (cds and the like), this was relatively painless. I think I am lucky, because my kids have never demanded a bunch of expensive junk, and they've never been whiney or ungrateful about the presents they're received. (They have gotten nice toys and games in the past, and they have an uncle who spoils them with cash bonuses at holiday time. So they are in no way deprived.)

We also agreed that as a family it would be meaningful to send a Heifer International gift. We like the whole "give the perfect gift ... a diamond necklace guinea pig!" concept.

I don't exchange gifts with my husband. I buy myself whatever I need throughout the year, and he does the same. We like getting away together for short trips better than jewelry, watches and new cars, so splurging happens at intervals not related to Christmas.

This works for us ... enjoy what works for you!
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor

Four of us so far.

Buy no gifts
Give no gifts
Get no gifts

Do send $2000 to local charities.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:47 PM   #7

[quote=Corporateburnout ]
I just hate shopping in general. I'll bet most ladies on the board are done.
[/
uote] I wish that I was one of those ladies. Unfortunately, I don't like shopping either. I really don't have that much shopping to do. My kids, 18 and 28, prefer money to presents!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:27 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I would love to forgo gift exchanges in favor of charity. (Heifer International is a great choice, too!)

Last Christmas I tried a Heifer donation in addition to the usual gifts. It didn't go over that well, as I kinda expected. Aside from DW, none of my relatives are much into charity. (I love my family, but they seem a lot more interested in acquiring the latest made-in-China plastic decoration than any kind of "greater good." You know the type: closets full of stuff they never use, and making a sport out of shopping for more.)

DW & I are spending about $50 on each other and sending $1K to charity.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:56 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

We are mostly done, other than a few items that my husband has to pick up.

I actually made a lot of gifts this year. Some scarves, 3 purses, and pillowcases for everyone (my mother made quilts for most of the family and I did matching pillowcases). I enjoy it and hopefully they will appreciate the time I put into them.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:42 AM   #10

Except for my immediate family, I give home-baked goodies. Still working on the baking, but family is done. I usually start and finish shopping during the 3 weeks between Halloween and Thanksgiving. As a kid and young adult, I kind of enjoyed the cheery excitement of holiday shopping crowds, but now...I have a lot more peace and goodwill toward men without that trauma adventure.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I dont do christmas

i dont buy presents or other stuff

I just ignore it and hope it goes away

claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 05:02 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

We do checks and gift cards. DH and I see no need to fight the crowds at the stores. Love the places with the gift card kiosks talk about one stop shopping.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.