• Mailed ballot in

Votes: 61 28.9%
  • Will Vote on Election Day

Votes: 85 40.3%
  • Don't plan on voting

Votes: 8 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Today begins week two of early voting in south Texas. My closest voting site is averaging 1000+ votes daily so far. I stopped by today on the way to the gym just to see if what the lines looked like and was surprised that there were many parking places so I took one and ventured inside. I was the only person in line. In other words, I had zero wait time. \

Our electronic ballot had 23 pages (many judges, constables, tax assessors etc to elect) but I cruised through that and was out in 5 minutes. I know it's not a race, but I got it done and was on my way to the gym in record time...

Last edited:
I knew little about some of the candidates for state and county positions once we get off the top of the ballot. But luckily I was sitting in a coffee house today and my favorite contercultural freebie weekly was sitting on the table. It had instructions on who to vote for, and what to vote on the propositions. Problem solved! Anything I had no opinion on, or no knowledge about, I just voted the opposite of whatever the Stranger suggested.

Ha

Last edited:
We voted early, in person, 15 mins from arriving to walking out. Very efficient these days, swipe a wand over your election card, take a PIN code and go to one of the large number of machines available.

We'll be in Death Valley on election day and won't have access to internet or TV for several days.

I knew little about some of the candidates for state and county positions once we get off the top of the ballot. But luckily I was sitting in a coffee house today and my favorite contercultural freebie weekly was sitting on the table. It had instructions on who to vote for, and what to vote on the propositions. Problem solved! Anything I had no opinion on, or no knowledge about, I just voted the opposite of whatever the Stranger suggested.

Ha

Ah, as another wise man wrote,

If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no candidates and no measures you want to vote for...but there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong. If this is too blind for your taste, consult some well-meaning fool (there is always one around) and ask his advice. Then vote the other way. This enables you to be a good citizen (if such is your wish) without spending the enormous amount of time on it that truly intelligent exercise of franchise requires.
Robert A. Heinlein, "The Notebooks of Lazarus Long" in "Time Enough for Love"

I mailed in the absentee ballot a few days ago. I was so out-of-touch that I did not know about early voting in person until I read this thread.

I normally do not watch much local broadcast TV to get bombarded by political ads. But just yesterday, watched a bit of TV and caught a negative ad saying that if a certain pol gets elected as congressman, then a certain group of people would lose a certain very special privilege. What the hell? So, I am glad that I did vote for that person.

Last edited:
We'll vote early but haven't done so yet.

Straight ticket for the cocktail party.

North Carolina has early voting, so the DW and I hit the main library branch yesterday. About 15 minutes in total with a fast moving line.

I'll vote on election day. Lines not that long in our small city.

Wow, lots of early and absentee voters. It really could delay things if the tally is close. I always vote on election day. My polling place is a block away and pretty efficient. Since I can go after the morning rush hours now I probably won't have any wait.

Voted last Saturday, another straight ticket for the cocktail party:D

I will vote on election day...and see the volunteers who come back for every election. I believe that one of the most important processes in the USA is honest, free and open elections...that who is our elected officials were really elected!

I'm a military member stationed abroad and am registered to vote in Texas. This year I was able to receive my absentee ballot via email (I don't remember having that ever before). Texas even allows military members in combat zones to fax in their ballot if they don't have mail access. Very easy.

Can't vote in this poll as I'm undecided as to whether I will vote this time or not.

I pulled down our ballot from the County website several weeks ago to see if I had research to do, and as others have said, anything I'm interested in is pre-determined (we are not a swing state). No referendums of any meaning, the one position I am interested in has a candidate that is running unopposed.

I think it is my civic duty to conserve the gasoline for the drive there and back. Living in a non-swing State is a mixed blessing. On one hand, it sucks to feel that your vote really doesn't count. OTOH, I can't imagine being barraged with more political ads than we already get.

A few years ago, I voted in a race where my candidate won by a tiny margin. That is a very different feeling.

-ERD50

.....Living in a non-swing State is a mixed blessing. On one hand, it sucks to feel that your vote really doesn't count. OTOH, I can't imagine being barraged with more political ads than we already get....

I have the worst of both worlds - I live in a non-swing state so my vote doesn't count for much but I am near to a swing state so I still get barraged by political ads. :(

I've already voted early.

I respect everyone's choice to always vote, vote sometimes or to skip. A case can be made for each descision.

With that said, I believe in voting (especially in elections you may feel passionate about). Heck for me, I'd be happy to car pool with a friend/family member to the voting location even knowing that our votes will cancel each other out.

Last edited:
I'll vote in person on election day. The polling place is a half block from the house I carpool with - and I'm driver that day. So I'll vote (with my kids in tow) at 7am when they open, and still make it to the carpool house by 7:15 to take the kids to school.

Wow, lots of early and absentee voters. It really could delay things if the tally is close. I always vote on election day. My polling place is a block away and pretty efficient. Since I can go after the morning rush hours now I probably won't have any wait.

My mom worked for the Registrar of voters here in San Diego. Absentee ballots that are received by the ROV by election day can be counted as soon as the polls open (7am here). So that is the results they can post as soon as the polls close - the folks who mailed in their ballots ahead of time. It actually speeds up results.

The number of ballots that are postmarked election day or the day before are a very small percentage - most of the absentee ballots come in well before election day.

I think I saw that last time around Colorado had the fewest election day votes cast, with 85% of votes cast early. (Florida was next with 65%)

I voted early and and in person last week. DH will be voting in person tomorrow. We had long, long lines 8 yrs ago which was a big pain in the butt. Our township added a second polling place a few yrs ago to deal with the problem but I'm not taking any chances.

Voted early in person today. About twice as many voting machines in the grocery store as usual and still 25 minutes in line. Very long ballot (I think I heard somewhere it was 14 screens) so most people were taking awhile, even if they brought notes (as I did). Turns out paper notes are OK but electronic devices are a no-no. I saw a couple of neighbors in line ahead of me and they must have voted straight ticket and ignored the non-partisan races - they were only at the machine for 30 seconds. Guess they didn't read the really good op-ed that I saw about why straight ticket voting is not a good idea:
Sanchez: Straight ticket will drive you straight to trouble | www.statesman.com

All you early voters. Geez. Who wouldn't want to wait in line for hours with tons of annoying people pestering you and handing you political stuff? In person voting is the way we did it in the old days and we liked it. We loved it :p

I think I saw that last time around Colorado had the fewest election day votes cast, with 85% of votes cast early. (Florida was next with 65%)

Apparently 80% of the registered voters in my county (including DW and I) are permanently registered to vote by mail.

Very curious to see if Amendment 64 passes, although I suspect it would change little.

All you early voters. Geez. Who wouldn't want to wait in line for hours with tons of annoying people pestering you and handing you political stuff? In person voting is the way we did it in the old days and we liked it. We loved it :p
The people pestering is a regional thing. I saw it in PA, but not in WA or CA. In fact in CA you have to stay several hundred feet away from the polling place to "electioneer". They'll even ask you take off candidate pins, etc.

Back
Top Bottom