Poll: Home WiFi Use

How long is your home WiFi router on per day (NOT your WiFi usage)?

• More than 12 hrs/day on average

Votes: 219 94.4%
  • 6-12 hrs/day

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 3-6 hrs/day

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • minimal-3 hrs/day

• zip-zilch-nada

• Total voters
I'm not tethered to the Internet. My router (ca. 2002) was given to me by my work. I rarely use my desktop, only for financial and email. My posts here are mostly on an iTouch (exception YouTubes that I hope aren't too excessive) and when the TV is stinking up the joint. I do have a Kindle that I enable to get a book purchase.

But the answer for me is that I leave it on all the time until it loses its mind and I notice that and I follow my Dad's advice: kick it in the slats.

24/7 here also. Never thought about turing it off it as we use it most of the time unless we are sleeping.
I also unplug devices during storms.

Sorry to be boring but I'm going to have to go with the behavior of the majority here and say that mine is on 24/7/365 also.

I didn't even know my router had a switch.

Mine doesn't (Apple time capsule). You would have to unplug it.

Mine's also on always. Connected to it are:

2 iPhones
3 iPads
2 Macs
1 printer
1 Sonos system

1 Droid phone
2 Google TV (1 is actually wired)
1 Roku
1 Range Extender
1 Thermostat
2 Laptops
1 Nexus 7
1 Kindle Fire
1 Printer
1 Desktop PC (wired)
1 NAS (Wired)
1 Guest PC (wired)
Add a few more when the kids visit.

May I steal Midpack's OP?
Looking for new toys to add. Had many IP cameras at w***. Don't know if I want that. Have been looking at Z-wave. Recently upgraded my desktop PC but did not make it touchscreen. May get a wireless weather station with a phone app. What toys am I missing?

Last edited:
With minor (but significant exception) modern, communications-related electronics is designed to be left on all the time, with the most significant contributor to wear-out being the power cycling (turning it off and turning it back on).

The exceptions aren't trivial: Display screens of all sorts incur more wear during power cycling, but their wear during ongoing use is so significant that the net is in favor of power cycling. Also, laptop computers are designed with extra robustness in various components to account for their tendency to be power cycled.

Power consumption is another matter. Where the break-even is will depend on your appetite for replacing much of the electronic equipment you buy shortly after the warranty period expires.

Router and modem are plugged into a UPS/power conditioner. This takes care of many problems. Still need an occasional reboot of router or modem for whatever reason.

The power useage of router and modem is very low compared to other electronics. For instance, the comcast TV box is an absolute glutton. I measured the draw of these things a while back.

Off the top of my head, we may have 20 devices accessing the router, so it would not work well to turn it off.

Never thought much about this... Our electricity cost is so low, @less than $.07 KWH that just about everything is on all the time.
Wireless modem (no security)
Wireless router secured
Do you have a WIFI modem bringing in the feed from the ISP and an attached second router that you use to support your devices? I used to do that because I needed the multiple outputs of a router that the modem would not support. But if that is your setup why leave the WIFI signal on in the modem, or more particularly, why leave it unsecured?

24/7. 2 cell phones, no land line.

Turning off the modem and router to me would have been like unplugging the phone when you were using Prodigy back in the day.

This thread got me thinking how many devices use our router and was surprised to find that we are into double figures.

2 TV's - wired
2 rokus
1 printer/scanner
1 iPod Touch
1 iPad
2 Laptops
2 Kindles

And while you are still traveling and not have a fix base ?

And while you are still traveling and not have a fix base ?

I still leave it on so I have control of the DVR and also can watch programs on my iPad with acces to my TV channels.

Are you worried about security? About the Borg? I am 58486153of ten trillion instead of seven of nine? If your spouse is security conscious that might be the concern.
I only reset mine when I loose connection. It is always a miracle to me that it finds its way to reconnect.

I am also learning I'm a cretin relative to many here in not having more wireless devices with only a laptop, 2 iPads and recently 2 smartphones. Our TV's and DVR are not connected, though I am guessing we'll want Apple TV, Roku or an equivalent one day. And I haven't bought a wireless printer or thermostat yet, though when/if the incumbents fail I am sure I'll buy wireless models. I'm not opposed to initial purchase prices on devices, but I try to avoid as many "subscription services" as possible, LBYM and all...

Last edited:
On 24/7

1 iPad
1 Roku
1 laptop
1 wireless printer

Lots of stuff connected to my network, although usually not at the same time:

1 Smart TV
1 DVR/Satellite Receiver
1 Game console
1 Kindle
1 Kindle Fire
2 Smartphones
1 Wireless printer
2 computers
1 NAS

This doesn't include a whole slew of USB devices wired to the main computer

Soon to add a Nexus 7 tablet and camera with wifi

I never turn it off. Even if I wanted to turn it off, there is no easy way to do it.

I thought everyone kept their wireless networks on 24X7. For us, it powers:
2 iPads
2 smartphones
1 laptop
1 desktop that is using a wireless usb adaptor

That said, not all of the devices remain on 24x7, although some do:D

I never turn it off. Even if I wanted to turn it off, there is no easy way to do it.
I was having some problems where I was having to reset my cable modem and/or wireless router 3 or 4 times a week. I got tired of trying to unplug the cords from the back or crawl under the desk to unplug from the power strip, so I moved a power strip up to the shelf where they sit and just flick the switch on that.

I've since found that lowering the MTU size on my wireless router fixed a lot of problems (I had my wifi connection and an internet connection but some devices just couldn't get to anything on the internet), but the cable service itself is a bit flaky and it's still worth the power reset when it goes out before calling.

I use wireless for my phone and a Kindle, but both computers - a laptop and a tower - are "hardwired". Trying to convince myself to crawl into the attic, and add a cat5 connection for the "entertainment center", though I have no immediate need for it. May in the future though.

I use wireless for my phone and a Kindle, but both computers - a laptop and a tower - are "hardwired". Trying to convince myself to crawl into the attic, and add a cat5 connection for the "entertainment center", though I have no immediate need for it. May in the future though.
Consider MoCA. It's the way it comes, with Verizon FiOS but I think with one more device you can do it with any home cable Internet service.

Back
Top Bottom