Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How many years into current marriage (highest applicable)?
45+ 17 6.20%
35+ 49 17.88%
25+ 77 28.10%
15+ 41 14.96%
5+ 24 8.76%
Married, less than 5 years 11 4.01%
Single 55 20.07%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2014, 08:08 PM   #101
Confused about dryer sheets

At pushing 62 each, we have been married for 42 years. So very hard to train in a new one at this age.....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Scotsman at Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2014, 08:20 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
In Colorado that is the same as the formal bureaucratic kind of marriage -- and incredibly easy to create. In addition, it has the same "rights, privileges, and headaches" when ending such an arrangement.

Common Law Marriage | Colorado Divorce & Family Law Guide
Stealth marriage is pretty common. Women's groups and divorce lawyers make a natural coalition to lobby for various gotcha(s)

I am sure I can get along fine with a love relationship near at hand but me living alone. I think you get a little more sex if you are in a committed relationship and live together, compared to the same relationship with separate beds. Still, to me it is not worth the added risk. If I found out that I got accidentally married I would be one unhappy man. Also, certain events that might claim your life if alone might be handled better with a live -in partner, but again, once you are dead, not much difference.

Ha
Old 12-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Stealth marriage is pretty common. Women's groups and divorce lawyers make a natural coalition to lobby for various gotcha(s)

I am sure I can get along fine with a love relationship near at hand but me living alone. I think you get a little more sex if you are in a committed relationship and live together, compared to the same relationship with separate beds. Still, to me it is not worth the added risk. If I found out that I got accidentally married I would be one unhappy man. Also, certain events that might claim your life if alone might be handled better with a live -in partner, but again, once you are dead, not much difference.

Ha
Honestly I don't think living/sleeping together, or not, makes any difference at all in the amount of sex if you are spending hours together every day. Nature will have its way, y'know?

I do wonder sometimes what would happen if I was in those "I've fallen and I can't get up!" situations. But we do spend every single afternoon together, and both of us have a key to the other's house. He would surely investigate if I did not answer the phone. Over the years we have had to do that a couple of times, when the other is completely incapacitated by severe illness, back issues, or whatever.

We have no desire to end up accidently married either, although I don't think that would happen in Louisiana. Still, we prefer to live separately right now for a variety of reasons. I know that married people have great reasons for being married, too, but in our case we both prefer living separately and staying single.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:39 AM   #104
Moderator Emeritus

I had a friend who used to say she preferred a man in her life but not in her house. The one in her house made sure she got her wish.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:22 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Honestly I don't think living/sleeping together, or not, makes any difference at all in the amount of sex if you are spending hours together every day. Nature will have its way, y'know?
Maybe. But I may need some tutelage. Today after the football game I asked friend, Hey, if you're feeling the need for some sex today, just let me know.

Nada.

Ha
Old 12-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Deleted.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #107

27 years for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
There is a tax BENEFIT if one spouse is SAHM or has lower income and the other has higher income.
I didn't know that, but DW hasn't earned a paycheck in 23 years (after DD1 was born).
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:46 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Married for 11 years to current DH, who's my second husband.

I'm likely to outlive him because he's 15 years older and has some health issues and if that happens I doubt I'll marry again. I'd love the companionship of another good man and I'm open to that, but there are too many financial entanglements the state imposes on married couples.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:50 AM   #109
Full time employment: Posting here.

29 years and counting.
Gatordoc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:15 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
27 years for me.

I didn't know that, but DW hasn't earned a paycheck in 23 years (after DD1 was born).
It's the way the joint income tiers work... Your joint income is/was just your income. So you're in a lower tier than if your wife had added income. The joint income tiers are less than double the single income in the higher tiers.

(It's a wash in the lower income tiers - 15% and lower.)
Old 01-06-2015, 03:04 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Today's Dilbert (despite being labeled 1-6-14):

Dilbert - 06 Jan 2015.jpg
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #112
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've known my wife since she was 16 and I was 17. We met when both of our families separately picked Chincoteague, Va as a summer vacation destination. So I've known her for over 43 years and been married for over 38. I love being married. The fact that my wife married me has enhanced my life to the point of literally saving my life dozens of times. With all my medical problems, I wouldn't even be here right now if not for her. And I would definitely not be retired!

I am one happily married dude!

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote