Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How Many Active Cameras For Capturing Memories Do You Own?
0 - I don't own any cameras 7 8.86%
1 - I own one camera 23 29.11%
2 - I own two cameras 18 22.78%
3- I own three cameras 12 15.19%
4 - I own four or more cameras 17 21.52%
5 - other 2 2.53%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Poll:How Many Active Cameras For Capturing Memories Do You Own?
Old 11-11-2018, 10:10 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll:How Many Active Cameras For Capturing Memories Do You Own?

Over the past couple of days, I've found myself looking at youtube and Amazon on cameras as was wondering how many active cameras do most folks have for capturing memories? May be looking to add one around the holidays.

I have three that are active. My smart phone for quick impromptu shots, a small Kodak point and shoot for stuff like posting on ebay and an old Cannon point and shoot that has a bit bigger zoom than the Kodak.

One time, I used to have a SLR other cameras like an old Sony digital (the old Mavicas that recorded to a floppy disk) but got rid of all of them.

For consistency, on the poll, I'm only counting active cameras for capturing memories. So, this doesn't include old cameras stored in the attic (though I'm sure some of these have a story of their own) or cameras like security cameras.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
gone traveling

Me - one iPhone SE
Wife - one iPhone 7+
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #3

iPhone for normal photos

small pocket point & shoot with a good zoom for most travel

Nikon D90 with good lenses for special travels, like Grand Canyon or Galapagos trips
Old 11-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Just my Moto G4 smart phone. Always having it on me without having to carry an extra device makes up for any deficiencies. I take so many pictures now because I have it handy than I ever did before.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

We used to have a Nikon point and shoot, and a Nikon D90 DSLR w 2 lenses. But we sold them several years ago and now I can capture anything we need with our iPhones or an old GoPro including video. I've published about 30 YouTube videos using nothing but the iPhone and GoPro.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I said that I have 1, but that 1 camera is just my LG cell phone.

I have an old Canon digital camera thrown in a box somewhere, but I haven't used it for at least a decade so it doesn't count.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:54 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have my cell phone, and couple of DSLRS and an old Canon G9 that lives in an underwater housing for watersports. DW has her cell, a Nikon Super zoom, a DSLR and a GoPro which has now largely replaced the G9 for UW shooting. So I guess that's 8.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #8

I use my iPhone for the vast majority of photos - it's an awesome camera. But I also have a Canon Powershot SX740 I use for it's zoom.

Years ago I picked up a Canon PowerShot SX210 which had a 14X zoom. The SX740 has 40X zoom and a much improved image processor built into it. It was worth it to me to upgrade this year.

Mostly I use the canon for nature photos, plus some touristy photos.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:04 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

2 cameras, I hate cell phone pics.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:05 AM   #10

DW and I have 3 active: two Android smartphones and a small point and shoot with a zoom lens that we take when traveling. The latter is getting used less and less. We have a larger digital camera with better zoom but it's a hassle to carry so it's been in a box somewhere last several years.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cell phone camera and I have one old point and shoot left over from "work days". We don't take many photos anymore.

As a matter of fact, we just gave the kids boxes and binders full of family photos earlier this year. That was from a closet cleaning exercise.

Turning into old farts, I guess.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #12

I checked four or more.

My favorite for family gatherings is a Nikon D7000 with the kit zoom lens by default and four SB-900 strobes for indoor use. I like the depth of field that f8 and 1/250 sec exposures get, and that combination puts to shame any phone image I have ever seen.

That said, an old photographer's expression is "The best camera is the one you have with you". The Nikon DSLR with four lenses, strobes, tripod, and associated gear is admittedly a lot to lug around but that's the price I'm willing to pay to get great, as opposed to merely okay, images. That's the difference between images that one keeps on a phone to show to family/friends and one that you print on photo paper, frame, and hang on the wall. The latter is what I'm aiming for and I haven't seen a phone camera worthy of that. Yet.

On the way up to the DSLR and all the extra gear we have two Nikon point 'n shoot cameras and when DW is at a gathering by herself she'll use one of those (which is still better than the iPhone 6s) and if she doesn't have that then she'll resort to the iPhone.

As an example, look at the photo I took last year for a Christmas gathering with the DSLR. Note how the image is in sharp focus from front to back (that's called "depth of field") and that the windows are not "blown out" meaning that they're not just overexposed white blocks. That's because I took the trouble to get a light level reading of the outside light and set the strobes to match that lighting level. You're not going to get that with a phone camera, at least not without going deep into the camera's settings menu if the settings are available at all.

But I realize that not everyone is that fussy and just wants a quick shot of the event. That's what point 'n shoot and phone cameras are for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Christmas 2017 (1 of 1).jpg (145.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 11-11-2018, 11:42 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I use my iPhone 7 for everyday shots. For travel and nature shots, I use my Leica C-lux camera. For portraits / family events, I like my Fujifilm X100S. No more SLR cameras for me.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:04 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Zero because I think the OP meant that phones are not to be counted as cameras. But my new iPhone is a great camera among other things.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #15

I voted two: my phone and DW's phone.

I didn't count the two iPads since we don't use those for taking many photos, nor did I include the digital point and shoot gathering dust (and obsolescence) in the closet.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:08 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I have 6. Nikon D810, Nikon D610, 2 Sony RX 100’s, a GoPro, and iPhone X. iPhone is for impromptu photos, GoPro for action stuff, 1 Sony rx100 for workshop photos/videos, other rx100 for shots/ videos where I don’t want to carry a dslr. I use my 2 Nikons for mostly landscape photography. I usually take the iPhone, GoPro, 1 Sony and the D810 on trips. If I have a photo gig, I take both Nikons.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

several, but I only use my iphone camera these days for both still pictures and videos
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:20 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Zero because I think the OP meant that phones are not to be counted as cameras. But my new iPhone is a great camera among other things.
A smart phone camera would count as a camera as long as you use that for capturing memories. I excluded stuff like a security camera or old inactive cameras stored in the attic or in a box not used in a long long time.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:01 PM   #19

One: iPhone X.

I used a DSLR for years. I stopped a couple of years ago for two reasons: I was tired of carrying around a camera and iPhone picture quality is good enough.

Part of my justification to upgrading my iPhone is for the camera. Having spent $$ for dedicated camera equipment, I have no issues spending on a newer iPhone if the camera has significant improvements.

The added benefit is Apple Photos, geotagging, and the ability to share pictures easily.

At this point, it’d be hard to go back to a dedicated camera.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:12 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Nikon D7000 (my current workhorse)
Nikon D50 (bought this because we were taking too many pictures of the floor when aiming at grandbabies... still use it around the house)
Nikon F2 Photomic (from my youth)
Baby Graphlex (friend loaned it to me for my granddaughter and I to get frustrated with...)

Recently sold a 4x5 Speed Graphic and a 1903 Eastman 8x10 view camera. The Eastman was red mahogany, a beautiful piece of furniture...

My phone has a camera? ...
ggbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote