Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How many Cocktails do you drink per week?
Less than 1 118 41.11%
More than 1 but less than 3 38 13.24%
More than 3 but less than 14 85 29.62%
More than 14 46 16.03%
Voters: 287. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2022, 08:18 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Zero. My wife does not drink so I rarely drink alcohol. When we go out for dinner I sometimes order a glass of red wine or beer.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2022, 08:30 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
While large studies designed to better answer questions about the health benefits and risks are being planned, the results may be a decade away. “My hope is that if you can make it through the next 10 years safely,” Mukamal says, “then we’ll actually have good evidence that both policymakers and physicians can use.”
The article is dated August 2017. I'd guess there have been some updates to this in the last 5 years.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 09:15 PM   #23

Zero. My chemo therapy and alcohol do not mix in any quantity. I have however discovered that non alcohol IPA beer is not half bad. Non alcohol wine on the other hand is undrinkable (at least the ones I have tried).
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Zero. My chemo therapy and alcohol do not mix in any quantity. I have however discovered that non alcohol IPA beer is not half bad. Non alcohol wine on the other hand is undrinkable (at least the ones I have tried).
Isn't that just Welch's Grape Juice? I love that stuff.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:06 PM   #25

Zero. Green tea/herb tea only.
Mr. Tightwad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 11:55 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll have a beer with dinner 3 or 4 times a week. Occasionally I'll have more than one if we are visiting with friends but that means I tend to drink fewer the rest of the week and still end up at 3 or 4.

In the summer I'll sometimes replace a beer with a gin and tonic.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:56 PM   #27

We used to split a bottle of wine with dinner several nights k, but cut back mainly for weight management reasons. Now we mainly drink when entertaining with others, although DH and I will still enjoy some wine with dinner at home or out occasionally. I also like margaritas and certain other specialty drinks.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 12:10 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Around 1 to 2 drinks a week. Usually wine or beer.
Old 01-30-2022, 03:08 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I use wine and brandy in cooking and baking. Does that count? lol
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 04:57 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Zero. My wife does not drink so I rarely drink alcohol. When we go out for dinner I sometimes order a glass of red wine or beer.
+1 Wife doesn't drink and I don't like the taste. I would rather have a beer but most restaurants don't have what I prefer. If I have a beer it is usually a chocolate stout at home and then maybe only one every couple of weeks.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 05:13 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Three to five drinks a week, almost never more than one in a day, and could be beer, wine or cocktail. I don’t really care about the studies, especially one with so many maybes and qualifiers in it. Probably like some of the the mistaken Covid correlations people have been led to believe (not for this thread). I don’t want to live to 100 90 or even close anyway. I’m looking for quality of life, not quantity. YMMV

It is nice that it’s more socially acceptable to be a non drinker these days. In my regular golf groups there are several non drinkers, and they’re no more/less welcome before, during or after a round. And they don’t seem to mind the drinkers either. Non drinkers weren’t as welcome IME 40 years ago. I sometimes hand out 50ml bottles on the first tee (we usually have 8 or 12 players), and Gatorade to the non drinkers - no one forgotten, everyone is happy.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 06:00 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

That third category is awfully broad! I have 2 oz. of scotch with some water added every night. I measure it. I'm female and low body weight so I don't want to overdo it. Alcohol abuse killed my first husband many years after we divorced.

I actually like some mixed drinks- a good Bloody Mary or G&T or a Margarita with Mexican food but other than the bloody Mary they've got a lot of extra calories so I don't have them very often.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 06:23 AM   #33

I voted based off drinks, not "cocktails," which would be less than 1. My answer is more than I should (I know it's not good for me) but less than many. I pretty much only drink socially but I'm socializing a lot these days. At restaurants I'll sometimes order an N/A option but at breweries, the N/A options are often very limited. I do not like being drunk but do really like craft beer so.... At BYOB, I often bring Craft N/A beers (there are some real good ones now) and no one is the wiser.

Last night I had 3 mild beers and a whiskey neat over the course of 5.5 hours enjoying some great company and entertainment at an Irish Bar.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:01 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

0. Used to, quit as it messes with DWs meds.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:38 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

When my wife and I were w@#king, we had a strict rule against alcohol during the work week (Sunday through Friday, close of business). When I retired, the frequency did not really change (alcohol about 1x per week) for me but it can now occur on any day ending in "Y". My wife might have a few drinks throughout the week, then go weeks/month with none. No pattern/routine with us.
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:57 AM   #36

I voted less than 1. But not zero. My wife and I both enjoy whiskey (bourbon, rye mainly, a little Scotch and Irish) but I don't drink regularly. Some weeks I might have a pour on 1 or 2 nights, other weeks not at all. If we go to a tasting event, we'll have several small pours.

The past 3 months, my wife has been struggling with a back issue and hasn't been able to drink at all due to pain meds. As a result, I haven't really been drinking either. I've probably had 4 or 5 drinks in 3 months. I'm not going to sit there drinking in front of her when I know she can't have any.

Hopefully she'll be able to get off the meds sometime soon so that we can resume enjoying it together.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 09:11 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
The article is dated August 2017. I'd guess there have been some updates to this in the last 5 years.
and, the article seems to be all over the place. First it discusses "light drinkers" as those who partake 3 or less times per week and their better outcomes. But then it refers to a study, with no citation, about "daily drinkers" were supposedly twice as likely to live to age 85 than nondrinkers. That sentence defined daily drinkers as...4 drinks a day for men (!!).
I don't care this is from WebMD. The article is a crock of $&!t to me.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 09:56 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

No cocktails. We have bottles of duty free liquer that we have not touched in years....other than perhaps rum and Grand Marnier, etc for cooking.

Glass of red wine probably five nights a week. Plus wine in cooking.

Beer a few times during the week in hot weather.

Only me. DD is TT. She does not drink it but she certainly cooks with it!
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:01 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

It depends. rarely at home, more so socially, especially on vacation with friends.
So lately it has pretty much been none! Except for the bottle of WinterJack apple whiskey at Christmas, I think that is the only thing I have had this past year.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:13 AM   #40

Yeah... the term cocktails is misleading. I answered it as if the word meant 'alcoholic beverage' - so includes wine, beer. etc.

We have an alcoholic beverage every other night. Sometimes 2 in one night, but never more. Some nights we split a bottle of wine... Other nights we'll have IPAs... Last night we had actual cocktails - we had some good limes so I made margaritas.

We made our 'rules' after a long discussion about my mom's alcoholism and hubby's brother's substance abuse. We both enjoy a drink - but want to make sure we don't slip into daydrinking, overindulging, etc... Just easier to have guidelines so we don't make bad decisions regarding having more after having a drink or two.