Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How many Cocktails do you drink per week?
Less than 1 118 41.11%
More than 1 but less than 3 38 13.24%
More than 3 but less than 14 85 29.62%
More than 14 46 16.03%
Voters: 287. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2022, 03:35 PM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

12.7 ounces of (usually) Cabernet wine with dinner most nights, over the last 30 or 35 years.
FLJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2022, 06:27 PM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

And I said
No, no, no, no, I don't drink it no more
I'm tired of waking up on the floor
No, thank you, please, it only makes me sneeze
And then it makes it hard to find the door
mcbraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:31 AM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I live in Wisconsin, which is a very boozy state. In terms of the percentage of people whose drinking habits are described as excessive, we're No. 2, behind only North Dakota. I remember a boss who was from outside the state remarking how pervasive drinking was here -- that people were tippling at a baby shower. Yep, that's how it is.

I've wondered what makes it so -- ethnic heritage, long winters, etc. A 2018 USA Today article notes that states that rank high on the "excessive drinking" scale tend to have relatively high household incomes, or at least lower poverty rates. They're also relatively low on the percentage of the population in fair or poor health. Both seem counterintuitive. A high percentage of traffic deaths are alcohol related, though. Here's a link to the story I cited from: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...tes/406342002/

Another article that distills the numbers to alcohol consumption per capita sees the ranking differently, putting New Hampshire, Delaware and Nevada in the top three. Wisconsin and NoDak still make the top 10. https://thelistwire.usatoday.com/lis...ll-50-plus-dc/

As for my personal habits, I like beer. I usually have a couple per day, but cocktail hour comes early -- I find that if I drink around dinnertime or after, it disrupts my sleep.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:33 PM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
I live in Wisconsin, which is a very boozy state. In terms of the percentage of people whose drinking habits are described as excessive, we're No. 2, behind only North Dakota. I remember a boss who was from outside the state remarking how pervasive drinking was here -- that people were tippling at a baby shower. Yep, that's how it is.

I've wondered what makes it so -- ethnic heritage, long winters, etc. A 2018 USA Today article notes that states that rank high on the "excessive drinking" scale tend to have relatively high household incomes, or at least lower poverty rates. They're also relatively low on the percentage of the population in fair or poor health. Both seem counterintuitive. A high percentage of traffic deaths are alcohol related, though. Here's a link to the story I cited from: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...tes/406342002/

Another article that distills the numbers to alcohol consumption per capita sees the ranking differently, putting New Hampshire, Delaware and Nevada in the top three. Wisconsin and NoDak still make the top 10. https://thelistwire.usatoday.com/lis...ll-50-plus-dc/

As for my personal habits, I like beer. I usually have a couple per day, but cocktail hour comes early -- I find that if I drink around dinnertime or after, it disrupts my sleep.

I am from Illinois but have spent a fair amount of time in your beautiful state. I had a friend who attended Marquette University back in the late seventies. I remember being amazed back then at all the places that served beer, including the Student Union building on campus and the Milwaukee Zoo! When you drove through the countryside back then, it seemed like every intersection in the country had at least one bar or bar/Supper Club. Some intersections had two or three bars. My wife and I still take a short vacation to northern Wisconsin about every summer, but the bars do not seem as prevalent as back in the seventies.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:16 AM   #105
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
I am from Illinois but have spent a fair amount of time in your beautiful state. I had a friend who attended Marquette University back in the late seventies. I remember being amazed back then at all the places that served beer, including the Student Union building on campus and the Milwaukee Zoo! When you drove through the countryside back then, it seemed like every intersection in the country had at least one bar or bar/Supper Club. Some intersections had two or three bars. My wife and I still take a short vacation to northern Wisconsin about every summer, but the bars do not seem as prevalent as back in the seventies.
I was at the San Diego zoo two months back and recall seeing more than a few people grabbing beer from the beer cart before it was even noon. I am talking like 10am and 11am. Maybe they were in town visiting from Wisconsin?

I worked for a high risk car insurance provider and I remember when we were working with DUI/DWI related data in our database, Wisconsin had BY FAR the highest number of drivers with DWIs. I remember as high as 14 DWIs for surprisingly quite a few drivers in Wisconsin. I suppose after a point, its just habit to drive to the bar, drink, then drive home.

I live in MN and lots of my friends binge drink, or drink way too often (daily with multiple drinks). I fell into that trap for a decade and sobered up after realizing life would be easier and better without alcohol.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:42 AM   #106
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I want to report that I eliminated my one glass of wine a day on January 1 and have lost over 10 pounds, that is the only change I made. Amazing how many calories are in one glass of wine per day.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:43 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I want to report that I eliminated my one glass of wine a day on January 1 and have lost over 10 pounds, that is the only change I made. Amazing how many calories are in one glass of wine per day.

Congrats!
Old 03-16-2022, 10:27 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Congrats!
Did not really need to lose the 12 pounds ( I am tall and fairly thin) but my joints do now feel less achey. I wonder if I will keep on losing or at some point do my calories and activity equal out.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote