Poll: Internet access

When do you start feeling uncomfortable with no internet access?

• Need to check at least once a day

Votes: 57 51.4%
  • 1 or 2 days

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • 3 to 5 days

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • About a week

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • Over a week is fine

Votes: 18 16.2%

• Total voters

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
How long can you go without internet access before you start to feel uncomfortable? I know it is a judgement call, but I am curious. About two years ago, I could go a week but that time is slowly shortening.

I frequently travel/visit friends for spans of one to two weeks and don't really miss it. I don't know what time interval would make me miss it, but probably about a month(those pesky bills need to be paid).

I need to check it before the waiter takes the order, then again before dessert.

Hmmm, let me see (checking my post count).... guess I'd better vote for "At least once a day". :D

I'm an addict.
After 48 hours I'm jonesing for a fix.

I've gone longer - but I definitely felt uncomfortable.

My husband is the opposite... he checks his email about once a week. Even our tenants have figured out to email me (or call - because he turns off his cell phone, also)

It's been about 8 years since I have gone a full calendar day without going online at all. It'll likely be at least that long before the next time.

DH and I have a policy of no computers on vacations. That is until I decided to bring along the iPad last year. Now even on vacations I check e-mail 2x/day and do a couple of sudokos and ken-kens. DH was against it at first, but is OK with it now. At home, oh about every fine minutes :LOL:.

I usually disconnect it for a week or two every year. Going indefinitely without Internet access would be harder, as it largely replaces telephone and mail use for many purposes.

Had a Comcast outage one evening about a week ago.

Turned on tethering on my IPhone and loaded the Comcast account page and it said TV and Internet outage until 11 PM, or about 4-5 hours. But the TV worked.

However I used mobile data to surf for a few hours.

Later the Comcast page said outage until 12 AM.

I don't think I'd last too long. I might seriously consider going to a nearby library or some other public hotspot like a cafe.

Once I had no power for over a week. There were few flashlights at the local Target. It was rough.

I think Internet is like power now, for some at least, who'd get antsy.

I'm in Sardinia now and the first two B&bs have slow Internet. Even that's something that is weird to deal with.

I can't imagine say a week cruise where there would be no access or access for a high price.

Depends...
Currently going through a non life-threatening medical situation that for last week and this coming week requires lying low... it's more like continuous access, as recent posting here and on other venues steps up.
Less a matter of need, than default, when few options are available.

Access changes with need, through the years. During the social period in Florida, there were dozens of emails throughout every day, and the rest of the time was away from the computer.

Age and social life changes contacts and outside the home activities. I gradually weaned myself from the personal email contacts (before facebook) as most of this mail was involved in giving help to others.

Now, access depends on what I'm doing and where I am. If I'm at our camp... no internet access anyway, I never miss it. At home, with a growing sedentary lifestyle, It's pretty easy to get involved in my hundreds of different interests by searching the internet, and corresponding on different venues.

The overall subject of internet addiction is fascinating. A walk trough the shopping mall has become weird... as people subconsciously weave and dodge each other as they walk... with cellphone to the ear, or tablet held out front.

A current TV clip shows a gamers' convention with thousands of attendees of all ages... staring zombie-like into their on-line gaming websites... interacting with people they don't know, and will never meet. The virtual world of electronics...

Help... I see it in my own family, and worse still, in their children.

Yeah... the subject is valid!... Years from now, scientists will study the phenomenon and wonder how society survived. :blush:

I am master of my domain :) -
I have gone as long as a month without access when traveling.

I'm on several times a day, weather and news in the morning, here at least once a day, movies or documentaries in the evening, email with family frequently.

DW can go a few days but even she gets uncomfortable after that.

I'm usually on the internet on the computer early every morning and most evenings on the iPad while watching tv. Only exceptions are travel days with no wifi access.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Over a week is fine with me.

I have opted to receive all of our bills, investment reports etc. via US mail (hard copy). Like everyone else here, we have been down for a while and it has not bothered me a bit, though it has never lasted a week.

I guess that means that I have plenty of other things to occupy my time.

The only time we don't have 24x7 internet access is on some of our camping trips. On most camping trips it's rare to not have at least 3G access with a phone acting as a hot spot. And 4G is becoming common. But, when we are camping in Amish country without instant access, I get twitchy in less than a day.

I am master of my domain :) -
I have gone as long as a month without access when traveling.

If you're the master of your domain - I'm Kramer.... "I'm out!!!" within the first 5 minutes.

Imolder mentioned above about people weaving and dodging each other while having their faces buried in their phones. I am one who doesnt do this mainly I guess because I own a dumb phone and would need to wear my readers anyways. But I am getting extremely tired of dodging people who cant walk in a straight line anymore because they are not looking. One time I had to walk almost to the other side of an aisle as they kept moving at a 45 degree angle toward me. As long as they are someone I feel I can whip in a fight, I have started holding my ground, bracing and giving the old hard shoulder check and saying "excuse you". No challenge yet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While we were living on the road we occasionally were in a location where there was little or no internet access. Sometimes no phone access either. It was never a problem unless there was a problem. Once we were negotiating a sale on a condo and had to drive 20 minutes to have communication of any sorts. Other times only if there was a need to keep in touch with family because of illness, etc.
Then there was the time we rented a boat and spent a week on the Midi Canal in France and a hurricane blew through our hometown. We still had the big house so it was a bit traumatic trying to get information.
Other than that it was kind of nice not having that distraction.

When traveling, we've gone about a week or two without Internet access, but fortunately, outside of the USA, there are many restaurants and bars that have it, so we could usually find a spot before we all got too twitchy.

You should have seen the millennial's mad dash for the McDonald's in Astrakhan, Russia, near the Kazakh border because we had been told they had wifi, after a week and a half of no access. It did improve our conversations immensely to have nothing to do but talk to each other!

At home, I'm always on my phone though. Right now DH, roommate and I are all sitting on the porch, absorbed in different internet activities. We do sometimes stop to share something interesting we've read, but it is mostly silence.

When I go to some backwoods place, or mountains hiking... could be several weeks. But otherwise I'm connected most of the time. So.. a few weeks to a month... likely will do longer trips in ER.

For me the internet has multiple divisions. I can do without it completely for a week or so.I can do without the news and entertainment for much longer. Just never had to. Then there is the manage my personal life and finance part. Almost all my bills, banking, investing, and such is done over the net. I could live without knowing but it would bug me after awhile. Then there is communications. Week off, yea, but after that need to check text and email. I still go to the post office every day! Even when I know we won't get any real mail.

Generally a matter of hours if it is an unplanned/uncontrolled outage.

With cheap cellular hotspots now available, I now have at least a partial alternative during these times.

-gauss

Back
Top Bottom