Poll: Peanut Butter

Which peanut butter is your favorite? Jelly or no jelly? Check as many as you wish.

• Smooth

Votes: 71 40.8%
  • Crunchy

Votes: 86 49.4%
  • natural/organic, the kind that separates

Votes: 47 27.0%
  • With jelly

Votes: 51 29.3%
  • Without jelly

Votes: 46 26.4%
  • I don't like peanut butter!

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • None of these choices apply for me.

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

W2R

Moderator Emeritus
We were talking about peanut butter on another thread, so I thought I'd do a poll just for fun.

I read on the other thread that some people eat PBJ sandwiches without jelly. I was not aware that is legal. At the very least it is immoral.

Smooth, without jelly. Preferably Jif. Apply to one piece of bread then fold in half. I often have 3 of those per day a few hours apart. So I may have one at 9, one at noon and one at 3. That's basically lunch split 3 ways.

Natural/crunchy/no jelly.......spooned right out of the jar, (well, circular plastic container nowadays...for the most part).

I also like sun butter a lot, its made from sunflower seeds.

I also don't like jelly but love the PB&B. And prefer the crunchy organic/natural. The jelly is too sweet and overwhelms the taste of the PB.

I said natural/organic and jelly. But I use organic strawberry preserves, not jelly.... No added sugar. I also use the preserves in lieu of syrup on pancakes. (When I don't eat them sans topping.)

Smooth for us.. usually Jif or Skippy or store-brand... not real picky. Like it on toast or english muffins for breakfast. Occasionally a PB sandwich for lunch or a late night snack.

I eat PB ~ 4 x a week. I never tire of it. Crunchy, salted but no added sugar.

I'd actually prefer to have the kind that doesn't separate, but I can't find that in a no added sugar variety. Our staple PB is Trader Joe's - ingredients are just dry roasted peanuts and salt. Costco carries PB, but they only stock the smooth here, so I've never tried it.

AFAIK, it only takes a tiny amount of hydrogenated oil to keep the PB from separating, it's not enough trans-fat to worry about? If that's the case, I think the trans-fat scare has driven them off the market?

I've never tried a PB&B, sounds good, just never think of it and I've cut down on bananas (too much sugar I think) so we don't have them around the house so much. But probably less sugar than jam, so it would make a good alternative.

I also put PB&J on French Toast, nice variation from butter and syrup.

PB is good in a Reese's too! PB & Chocolate, hmmmmm!

PB rules!

Funny thing is, I hate the smell of it after it's been out, or cleaning the knife or the jar. And PB breath isn't so great either. But PB smells great as it is melting on warm toast.

-ERD50

I vote smooth with jelly (grape, please) and would have voted white bread too, because I want a childhood memory in my pb&j. I'd cut it diagonally and wrap it in waxed paper too and leave it for four hours at room temperature to complete the memory.

The tastes I have today wouldn't include any of the above.

I like the highly processed stuff, but had been eating the stuff that separates (to stay away from sugar and hydrogenated oil).

My go-to as a kid was peanut butter and honey, but as an adult, I don't have it on bread.

Sometimes a spoon, sometimes on celery.

Here's one for you. Take those old bananas that are real soft. Cut into chunks and freeze. Then take a tablespoon of peanut butter and a couple of bananas worth of frozen chunks into the food processor and grind on it until smooth. It tastes like the best peanut butter ice cream you've ever had! I didn't believe it, but the truth was in the tasting!

Last edited:
I'll take the "gotta stir it variety" smooth or cruncy. Yup, 1 ingredient - peanuts, preferably Valencia peanuts.

Crunchy on toast with either grape or blackberry jelly.

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Here's one for you. Take those old bananas that are real soft. Cut into chunks and freeze. Then take a tablespoon of peanut butter and a couple of bananas worth of frozen chunks into the food processor and grind on it until smooth. It tastes like the best peanut butter ice cream you've ever had! I didn't believe it, but the truth was in the tasting!

Add an equal amount of Nutella! It's even better.

I vote smooth with jelly (grape, please) and would have voted white bread too, because I want a childhood memory in my pb&j.

Never white bread. Always use wheat. To be very specific I prefer Country Hearth Split Top wheat. If it's not on sale I may settle for store brand or some other similar kind that is on sale.

mmmmm, some good ideas here. More ways to enjoy Peanut Butter!

Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I vote smooth with jelly (grape, please) and would have voted white bread too, because I want a childhood memory in my pb&j.
Never white bread. Always use wheat. To be very specific I prefer Country Hearth Split Top wheat. If it's not on sale I may settle for store brand or some other similar kind that is on sale.

Yes, but BWE was specific - for that childhood memory. For many of us, that means plain old white bread! Otherwise, I agree - some kind of wheat, multi-grain, or rye bread is great.

I remember my brother adding potato chips and/or lettuce (yep, the plain old iceberg lettuce we had as kids), to a PB&J. I need to try that again, the potato chips add a nice salty crunch, and the lettuce adds crunch and is better than it probably sounds.

Add an equal amount of Nutella! It's even better.

Oh yeah! :)

I'll take the "gotta stir it variety" smooth or cruncy. Yup, 1 ingredient - peanuts, preferably Valencia peanuts.

Now I'll need to track down a source for Valencia peanuts in peanut butter. I recall really, really liking Valencia peanuts. I think I've had them in Peanut Butter before, hmmm, the memory banks are failing me.

My go-to as a kid was peanut butter and honey, but as an adult, I don't have it on bread.

Sometimes a spoon, sometimes on celery.

Honey would be too sweet for my tastes. But celery can be good, we occasionally have it with apples as a snack. Same kind of crunch, really good.

Frozen bananas and Peanut Butter (yes, I will continue to Capitalize them, out of respect!), that sounds good too!

So what else? Peanut Butter and beer? I've heard of attempts by home brewers, but the oils kill the head (and can interfere with 'forced' carbonation by forming a CO2 barrier at the surface). I think there is some kind of de-fatted peanut grist available, but that just sounds wrong.

-ERD50

I'm a confirmed almond butter man, though I have heard the future is Nutella. Supposedly the best stuff is found only in Europe. Pass it on...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I'm a confirmed almond butter man, though I have heard the future is Nutella. Supposedly the best stuff is found only in Europe. Pass it on...

I sampled and purchased cashew butter at our local farmer's market. Wow, that was good (I like almond butter too). But straight out of the 'fridge, the taste of the cashew butter was killed by the cold. It needs to sit out at room temperature for those flavors to open up.

I'm starting to sound like a wine geek now. :facepalm:

If you search the web, you'll find Peanut Butter of the month, and Peanut Butter & Jelly of the Month clubs. We've been tempted to get one for DS, PB&J sandwiches are a staple for him (and he is a near-gourmet home cook!)

-ERD50

Voted "None of these choices apply for me".

I eat peanuts, and I eat butter. But I believe I have never eaten peanut butter. I think I can eat it (don't see anything bad about it), and will not say that I do not like it, because I just do not know. But I have no impetus to go and try.

There are many food items I have not tried in life, and peanut butter just does not interest me enough to try. It's probably bland. I'd rather try something more unusual, like the chicken jerky I saw recently.

Last edited:
Voted "None of these choices apply for me".

I eat peanuts, and I eat butter. But I believe I have never eaten peanut butter. ...

That's un-American! OK, I think I recall you were not born here, but when in Rome, do as the Romans!

Do you like hummus? There is some similarity to peanut butter, I think. The peanut is a legume, and hummus is made from Chickpeas (a legume).

What about Chicken sate', that is a peanut butter sauce, with hot sauce flavors?

-ERD50

Now I'll need to track down a source for Valencia peanuts in peanut butter. I recall really, really liking Valencia peanuts. I think I've had them in Peanut Butter before, hmmm, the memory banks are failing me.

-ERD50

Trader Joe's carries or used to carry a peanut butter made from Valencia peanuts. I will have to look next visit.

Back
Top Bottom