Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Will Prince Harry Keep Beard or Shave Off For Royal Wedding?
Yes - The beard stays! 22 36.07%
No - The beard goes! 12 19.67%
What? There's a royal wedding on 5/19? 19 31.15%
Other 8 13.11%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2018, 09:03 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
And you think I won’t be watching that too? The story of the American Princess, heart broken, bravely returning to the arms of her own country? I’m smitten, I tell you!
Miz Feever, your enchantment with this whole thing is downright contagious.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2018, 07:30 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good God so much Royal Brit stuff on TV.
As an American i don't understand the sensation. Americans don't follow the Dutch or Jordanian royals, why the fascination with the British?
Old 05-13-2018, 07:58 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
As an American i don't understand the sensation. Americans don't follow the Dutch or Jordanian royals, why the fascination with the British?
Because Americans want to know how does Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge look so glowing after giving birth to a new royal baby.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #24

Quote:
And you think I won’t be watching that too? The story of the American Princess, heart broken, bravely returning to the arms of her own country? I’m smitten, I tell you!
Not only will her heart be broken, but her checkbook, too.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/27/megh...l-wedding.html
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
It all goes back to some drunk guys in Boston threw some tea off the side of a boat ..
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
As a Brit I don't understand the fascination of Americans either. Our son was in the Junior ROTC at High School and when we went to the cadet ball a huge fuss was made of the junior ROTC King and Queen who were there complete with crowns and sceptres.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:07 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

I’m not smitten with royalty in general at all and didn't follow the future king’s nuptials. Meghan Markle is an American, of course, so I am not surprised there is so much coverage in the US about this wedding. But good news, you can turn off the TV, and it will all be over in a week.

At least it’s not Kardashians.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
As a Brit I don't understand the fascination of Americans either. Our son was in the Junior ROTC at High School and when we went to the cadet ball a huge fuss was made of the junior ROTC King and Queen who were there complete with crowns and sceptres.
I remember voting for Homecoming Queen in high school and college. As if real kings and queens were voted in!
Old 05-13-2018, 09:26 AM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
I remember voting for Homecoming Queen in high school and college. As if real kings and queens were voted in!
I do have a good memory of Charles and Diana’s wedding. As usual we were not actually interested in the wedding and that particular weekend my wife’s teenager brother was visiting so we went for a hike to the top of a local peak close to where we were living (and where we live now). It’s quite a climb with wonderful views from the top, and there were a bunch of other hikers with a radio tuned into the wedding proceedings and lots of beer and champagne being consumed. So we sat and consumed our own food and drink and quite enjoyed the party atmosphere.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Not only will her heart be broken, but her checkbook, too.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/27/megh...l-wedding.html
It’s true love, I tell you. Maybe that Harry can scrape together a pound or two to help her out.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #31
Gone but not forgotten

Prince Charles And Princess Diana always looked like they just tolerated each other . Harry and Megan look like love or strong lust . They are a cute couple .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Prince Charles And Princess Diana always looked like they just tolerated each other . Harry and Megan look like love or strong lust . They are a cute couple .
Come over to my house and watch the wedding with me. We can wear fascinators and toast the couple together!
Old 05-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As an American i don't understand the sensation.
What are you watching, Entertainment Tonight 24/7 Channel? Anyway, to the degree Harry and Megan displace the Kardashians in the pulp press, I see it as a net enhancement in our national discourse. With the royals I get a more "relatable" family:
-- Compared to the Kardashians, closer to my income.
-- Compared to the Kardashians, behavior that is closer to what I would expect of myself in similar circumstances
-- Compared to the Kardashians, fewer changes of mates and other key players in the saga. It's just easier to keep track of it all.

I probably won't watch the wedding on TV, but I wish them the best. And, despite all their wealth and fame, I'd never want to trade places with 'em (Kardashians or Windsors, Tudors, Stuarts, etc!)

Re: Beard or no beard: I know the world is changing and we should all be open minded, but this is a time for tradition: I hope Megan doesn't have a beard for the wedding.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Come over to my house and watch the wedding with me. We can wear fascinators and toast the couple together!
I had to Google “fascinators”
Old 05-13-2018, 04:03 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Can’t vote from the ipad, but seems like a guy named Harry should have a beard...

Couldn’t give two shizzes about royalty, but used to know a king pretty well...

IMG_0476.JPG

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #36
gone traveling

Hairy = beard
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:46 PM   #37
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

With Gin & Tonics or warm beer ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:22 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Hairy = beard
Glad we straightened that out...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:31 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I answered Other because why the devil do I care?
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
What are you watching, Entertainment Tonight 24/7 Channel? Anyway, to the degree Harry and Megan displace the Kardashians in the pulp press, I see it as a net enhancement in our national discourse. With the royals I get a more "relatable" family:
-- Compared to the Kardashians, closer to my income.
-- Compared to the Kardashians, behavior that is closer to what I would expect of myself in similar circumstances
-- Compared to the Kardashians, fewer changes of mates and other key players in the saga. It's just easier to keep track of it all.

I probably won't watch the wedding on TV, but I wish them the best. And, despite all their wealth and fame, I'd never want to trade places with 'em (Kardashians or Windsors, Tudors, Stuarts, etc!)

Re: Beard or no beard: I know the world is changing and we should all be open minded, but this is a time for tradition: I hope Megan doesn't have a beard for the wedding.
All of CBS Sunday morning. Local news channel. Just a general all in media poof.
I've dropped cable and now know nothing about the Kardasians. If the memory of the name can be sucked from my brain and the space used for good thoughts I'd gladly pay!
GravitySucks is offline   Reply With Quote