Poll: Should Peyton FIRE From the Colts?

Should Peyton FIRE From the Colts?

• Outta here - Peyton should bolt out of Indy

Votes: 25 58.1%
  • Redo contract - take one for the team

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Other

Votes: 13 30.2%

• Total voters
No disagreement here, but he's more able to make that decision than anyone else. Kind of comical how everyone has opinions on what he should do without really knowing the necessary details, just media hearsay most intended to create buzz, but part of our culture evidently. I wish Peyton, the Colts, Jim Irsay and Indianapolis all the best...

I guess it comes down to how much it's in his blood. Personally I can't relate to w*rking longer than I have to, especially if I've already reached the pinnacle of my profession, I'm solidly FI and continuing to w*rk would jeopardize my health. But maybe he loves it too much to hang it up if he thinks he can still get the j*b done.

I know some people love their w*rk so much that they can't bear the thought of not doing it. I've never been there, I can't relate and I envy those who do. I can only speak from my own point of reference in terms of what I think about continuing to w*rk long beyond the point of financial need to do so.

Last edited:
Manning is fairly old, in a professional-sports way, and has been off the field for a year. Probably still better than some/many, but it's sad to watch a star player keep going past their prime...

On the other hand, I don't care what he does, and, for that matter, I can't necessarily say that I would quit. I don't have the competitive drive of a Manning, or Favre, or whomever. I'd have quit after the first season! :LOL:

I guess it comes down to how much it's in his blood. Personally I can't relate to w*rking longer than I have to, especially if I've already reached the pinnacle of my profession, I'm solidly FI and continuing to w*rk would jeopardize my health. But maybe he loves it too much to hang it up if he thinks he can still get the j*b done.

I know some people love their w*rk so much that they can't bear the thought of not doing it. I've never been there, I can't relate and I envy those who do. I can only speak from my own point of reference in terms of what I think about continuing to w*rk long beyond the point of financial need to do so.
We agree, Peyton is not like you and I, and this thread is about him. People who achieve great things do so because they love what they do, the money is secondary. I don't believe someone can be great at something they don't enjoy first and foremost, no matter what it pays. The ones who are in it for the money, aren't going to be "great" for long if at all. Peyton has had a great career no matter what's next.

Peyton is the only one qualified to have an opinion on this IMO, that's all I am trying to say...

Perhaps not. But he has more money than he'll ever need, he has a Super Bowl Ring, he's a lock first ballot Hall of Famer... it's hard to imagine anything he needs to do on the field so badly that it's worth risking a catastrophic spinal cord injury leaving him paralyzed for life.

He is a lock as long as he does (did) not do a Pete Rose and bet on games when he should not have.... but then again, I think football is more forgiving than baseball... so maybe he is a lock..

An update to this poll, which I imagine everyone already knows (from NYT)
An emotional Manning, choking up even as he recalled his time spent with the Colts’ equipment staff, said goodbye to Indianapolis earlier Wednesday, ending in a 20-minute news conference a wrenching few months that plunged the team deep into rebuilding but launched what could be the most fervent free-agent pursuit in N.F.L. history.
Not sure he is FIREd - more like looking for another job - but it does seem the majority saw that e would leave his current employer. Perhaps he did stop by and check this poll after all...

i met a guy on a ski lift a while back (2008) who optimistically stated he was "between opportunities."

I live in Indianapolis and am a big fan, even though I can't afford tickets (don't like big crowds anyway). O.K., jeez, Peyton has more money than God and should retire. He has his 'ring'. Retire and go out gracefully. Probably won't ever get the front line protection that he used to get, and if that neck gets messed up, could end up crippled. Just not worth it---Retire!

Fellow Hoosier & agree 100%. Looking at recent videos it seems he still can't turn his neck that well & might be more vulnerable to blind-side hits. And at 36yrs old he ain't no spring chicken anyway. I was so hoping that he would do the smart thing- RE & stay with Colts as a QB coach.

Fellow Hoosier & agree 100%. Looking at recent videos it seems he still can't turn his neck that well & might be more vulnerable to blind-side hits. And at 36yrs old he ain't no spring chicken anyway. I was so hoping that he would do the smart thing- RE & stay with Colts as a QB coach.
That was the outcome I was hoping for too, may still be possible?

Peyton shown the door out of Indy...

From an employment perspective, it's just the nature of the job. We've seen this before...a future Hall Of Famer, for a future star.

Favre out for Rodgers, Montana for Young.

Manning getting released for a Rookie QB asked to start is similar to how he came into the league. The QB at the time was a fan favorite, but was shown the door for Manning.

From Peyton watch to Tebow watch.

Looks like Peyton from the horseshoe to the horse.

Now, where will Tebow land?

From Peyton watch to Tebow watch.

Looks like Peyton from the horseshoe to the horse.

Now, where will Tebow land?

Have not read anything, but is it a done deal:confused: And did they release Tebow:confused: They might want to keep him around so he can learn....

There has been no formal announcement by the Broncos, but the Denver news is blowing up with "unofficial" reports of Peyton coming to Denver.

Peyton is on the way to the Rocky Mtn's!!! Tebow should go to Jacksonville even if Denver gets nothing for him. At least there he can sell a few tickets to all those empty seats!!!

I was listening to the ESPN talk show on the radio. It said the odds of the Broncos winning the Superbowl before the "signing" was 75-1. With Manning it's 10-1. I wonder how they can do this without fully knowing his health. I guess it's odds using a bit of speculation.

It'll be interesting to see how the season pans out. Like in Indy if they'll say the time was right to release him, or if they cry bloody murder about their owner.

I live an hour from Indy, Peyton is highly thought of here. My MIL said the other day "I'm going to become a fan of whatever team takes Peyton". Of course she's one of these people who doesn't know a blitz from the Blitzkrieg.

Can you believe it? He is going back to work for a measly $96M.

Can you believe it? He is going back to work for a measly $96M.
We don't know how much is guaranteed though. At his age, I doubt he'll make it the entire 5 years. He is/will be 36 this month.

His contract is $18m for this year w/o injury protection. If he passes a physical March 2013, then he's guaranteed $40m for another 2 years. Last 2 years will pay him $19m each year.

Thanks, that's more info than I'd seen. Sounds pretty evenly spread, and the team protected themselves with physical milestones.

I live in Denver. Last night, the one hour newscast at 9:00 was 50 minutes about Manning and how Denver will win the SB this year. And no one even knows if he can play:confused: As far as Tebow, the favorite right now is him going to the Jags.

Well if Peyton plays, he'll sell tickets. But he has no one to throw to.

Back
Top Bottom