Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Should Peyton FIRE From the Colts?
Outta here - Peyton should bolt out of Indy 25 58.14%
Redo contract - take one for the team 5 11.63%
Other 13 30.23%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Should Peyton FIRE From the Colts?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: Should Peyton FIRE From the Colts?

So, it looks like the Colts are gonna put the ball in Peyton's court. Let him decide if he wants to bolt or take one for the team. (I have to say, Irsay looks like the politician, or at least, total businessman now).

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...IndyStar.com|p

I guess, this situation, is almost the opposite of if a player signed a smaller contract, but has a stellar year, and wants to redo the contract before it's up.

If you were in Peyton's shoes, what would you do?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I'd take my injured neck and go be on ESPN...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe he can get SS disability and ER.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I say to bolt from the Colts as they already dismantled his coaching staff and fired the GM. Hint, hint...rebuilding in progress.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #5

He was the Colts. I can't see him being part of the restructuring (as a player) and then fading away.

He's made for broadcasting, but he seems determined to play. Someone will pay him to try. I have my doubts about his health and recovery, but what do I know?
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:53 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Before he retires, I hope he runs his numbers through FIRECalc. Only problem, I'm not sure his numbers will fit in FC.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:00 AM   #7

Never heard how much of the March 8 $$ is gauranteed .... I see him as a commentator (next to Dan Marino).

Interesting how the owner won't make the hard decision and let him go ... look what the Packers have done since Farve was let go. And what an uproar that was in WI. Sometimes you need to lead ... not follow.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

He should tell them that he plans to play and expects the Colts to honor the terms of their contract with him (at least until the $28m is paid to him). Stay the 2012-13 season. $35m is just compensation for a little QB controversy and gives him resources to make his offensive line fell like kings.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Never heard how much of the March 8 $$ is gauranteed .... I see him as a commentator (next to Dan Marino).

Interesting how the owner won't make the hard decision and let him go ... look what the Packers have done since Farve was let go. And what an uproar that was in WI. Sometimes you need to lead ... not follow.
Green Bay already had Aaron Rodgers. He hadn't played but he had been on the team for 3 years. You have to believe they knew how good he was from seeing him in practice every day before which made it easy to let Favre go.

The Colts have nothing behind Manning.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post

This is the main point... how much will he get if he leaves and how much if he stays...

From the article, it is not clear that he has a contract now... it might be an option that the team is not taking and they made this counter offer... the article seems to say the team should just not take the option and release him to free agency...

Edit to add:

quote "He should tell them that he plans to play and expects the Colts to honor the terms of their contract with him (at least until the $28m is paid to him)." The problem is that if it is not guaranteed, then he actually does not have an enforceable contract with the team... it is an OPTION... for some reason, this is how football contracts are written....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Better to go out more or less on top, than to fade away gradually, getting beat up, and leading the league in interceptions.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
.....The problem is that if it is not guaranteed, then he actually does not have an enforceable contract with the team... it is an OPTION... for some reason, this is how football contracts are written....
If that is the case and the $28m is not guaranteed then he could turn the situation around on the owner and state that he intends to come back and it is really up to the Colts to decide whether or not to exercise the option that they have or not. If he does want to play he could always negotiate an amendment of the existing contract if he wants to let the Colt's save face.

While Andrew Luck is a gifted athlete, it would be better for the Colts to keep Peyton around depending upon the cost. If Peyton's health is such that he can comeback to where he was you have one of the best QB's in the league to run the offense and mentor Andrew Luck. If not, then at least you can get the mentoring part.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I voted other, only Peyton can answer the question. None of us really have a clue whether he's still physically able to play and/or what if any risk of permanent damage there may be. I just hope he is treated with the dignity he deserves, and I think Irsay will do so if at all possible. Wait and see...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
gone traveling

I vote for him to leave and see the Cowboys pick him up. Romo has great stats as a quarterback, but is just not a winner and never will be. Peyton, you'd look good wearing the star.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

No way are the Colts picking up that option. My humble guess is Indy will offer a performance based contract. Manning will have to decide if he wants to stay with a rebuilding team and risk being phased out, or try to hitch onto a "ready to win team without a quarterback" ala Favre or Montana.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I vote for him to leave and see the Cowboys pick him up. Romo has great stats as a quarterback, but is just not a winner and never will be. Peyton, you'd look good wearing the star.
I think peyton has high morals and standards. he'd rather be caught in a cheerleader outfit than a dallas uniform. I personally think the cowboys and romo were made for each other.
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I can see where this thread is headed...

"Yo mama wears combat boots!"

"O yeah?"

"Yeah!"

Duohhhh...
Old 02-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am a big Peyton fan but because of the neck injury and uncertainty about his future he is not worth that enormous bonus. If he wants to play for the Colts he is gonna have to negotiate for something less on the bonus. Whatever he does and no matter where he plays next year I will still be a fan. He could add value to the Jaguars franchise even if he was unable to play.
jclarksnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in Indianapolis and am a big fan, even though I can't afford tickets (don't like big crowds anyway). O.K., jeez, Peyton has more money than God and should retire. He has his 'ring'. Retire and go out gracefully. Probably won't ever get the front line protection that he used to get, and if that neck gets messed up, could end up crippled. Just not worth it---Retire!
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
I think peyton has high morals and standards. he'd rather be caught in a cheerleader outfit than a dallas uniform. I personally think the cowboys and romo were made for each other.
I don't particularly like Jerry, but the cowboys are my home town team and thereby I'm a fan. That said, if Jerry shows him the money, Peyton won't be wearing a cheerleader's outfit
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote