Poll: Should Peyton FIRE From the Colts?

Should Peyton FIRE From the Colts?

• Outta here - Peyton should bolt out of Indy

Votes: 25 58.1%
  • Redo contract - take one for the team

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Other

Votes: 13 30.2%

• Total voters

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So, it looks like the Colts are gonna put the ball in Peyton's court. Let him decide if he wants to bolt or take one for the team. (I have to say, Irsay looks like the politician, or at least, total businessman now).

http://www.indystar.com/article/201...ourt?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|IndyStar.com|p

I guess, this situation, is almost the opposite of if a player signed a smaller contract, but has a stellar year, and wants to redo the contract before it's up.

If you were in Peyton's shoes, what would you do?

Last edited:
I say to bolt from the Colts as they already dismantled his coaching staff and fired the GM. Hint, hint...rebuilding in progress.

He was the Colts. I can't see him being part of the restructuring (as a player) and then fading away.

He's made for broadcasting, but he seems determined to play. Someone will pay him to try. I have my doubts about his health and recovery, but what do I know?

Before he retires, I hope he runs his numbers through FIRECalc. Only problem, I'm not sure his numbers will fit in FC.:p

Never heard how much of the March 8 $$ is gauranteed .... I see him as a commentator (next to Dan Marino).

Interesting how the owner won't make the hard decision and let him go ... look what the Packers have done since Farve was let go. And what an uproar that was in WI. Sometimes you need to lead ... not follow.

Last edited:
He should tell them that he plans to play and expects the Colts to honor the terms of their contract with him (at least until the $28m is paid to him). Stay the 2012-13 season. $35m is just compensation for a little QB controversy and gives him resources to make his offensive line fell like kings.

Never heard how much of the March 8 $$ is gauranteed .... I see him as a commentator (next to Dan Marino).

Interesting how the owner won't make the hard decision and let him go ... look what the Packers have done since Farve was let go. And what an uproar that was in WI. Sometimes you need to lead ... not follow.

Green Bay already had Aaron Rodgers. He hadn't played but he had been on the team for 3 years. You have to believe they knew how good he was from seeing him in practice every day before which made it easy to let Favre go.

The Colts have nothing behind Manning.

This is the main point... how much will he get if he leaves and how much if he stays...

From the article, it is not clear that he has a contract now... it might be an option that the team is not taking and they made this counter offer... the article seems to say the team should just not take the option and release him to free agency...

Edit to add:

quote "He should tell them that he plans to play and expects the Colts to honor the terms of their contract with him (at least until the $28m is paid to him)." The problem is that if it is not guaranteed, then he actually does not have an enforceable contract with the team... it is an OPTION... for some reason, this is how football contracts are written....

Last edited:
Better to go out more or less on top, than to fade away gradually, getting beat up, and leading the league in interceptions.

.....The problem is that if it is not guaranteed, then he actually does not have an enforceable contract with the team... it is an OPTION... for some reason, this is how football contracts are written....

If that is the case and the $28m is not guaranteed then he could turn the situation around on the owner and state that he intends to come back and it is really up to the Colts to decide whether or not to exercise the option that they have or not. If he does want to play he could always negotiate an amendment of the existing contract if he wants to let the Colt's save face.

While Andrew Luck is a gifted athlete, it would be better for the Colts to keep Peyton around depending upon the cost. If Peyton's health is such that he can comeback to where he was you have one of the best QB's in the league to run the offense and mentor Andrew Luck. If not, then at least you can get the mentoring part.

Last edited:
I voted other, only Peyton can answer the question. None of us really have a clue whether he's still physically able to play and/or what if any risk of permanent damage there may be. I just hope he is treated with the dignity he deserves, and I think Irsay will do so if at all possible. Wait and see...

I vote for him to leave and see the Cowboys pick him up. Romo has great stats as a quarterback, but is just not a winner and never will be. Peyton, you'd look good wearing the star.

No way are the Colts picking up that option. My humble guess is Indy will offer a performance based contract. Manning will have to decide if he wants to stay with a rebuilding team and risk being phased out, or try to hitch onto a "ready to win team without a quarterback" ala Favre or Montana.

I vote for him to leave and see the Cowboys pick him up. Romo has great stats as a quarterback, but is just not a winner and never will be. Peyton, you'd look good wearing the star.

I think peyton has high morals and standards. he'd rather be caught in a cheerleader outfit than a dallas uniform. I personally think the cowboys and romo were made for each other. :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

I am a big Peyton fan but because of the neck injury and uncertainty about his future he is not worth that enormous bonus. If he wants to play for the Colts he is gonna have to negotiate for something less on the bonus. Whatever he does and no matter where he plays next year I will still be a fan. He could add value to the Jaguars franchise even if he was unable to play.

I live in Indianapolis and am a big fan, even though I can't afford tickets (don't like big crowds anyway). O.K., jeez, Peyton has more money than God and should retire. He has his 'ring'. Retire and go out gracefully. Probably won't ever get the front line protection that he used to get, and if that neck gets messed up, could end up crippled. Just not worth it---Retire!

I think peyton has high morals and standards. he'd rather be caught in a cheerleader outfit than a dallas uniform. I personally think the cowboys and romo were made for each other. :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

I don't particularly like Jerry, but the cowboys are my home town team and thereby I'm a fan. That said, if Jerry shows him the money, Peyton won't be wearing a cheerleader's outfit:tongue:

Is someone going to advise Peyton about the results of this poll?

Last edited:
O.K., jeez, Peyton has more money than God and should retire.
People like Peyton aren't doing it for the money anymore, if they ever did. FI and RE are independent of one another, even here...

If indy is in rebuilding-mode it's because Peyton sucked the place dry .... time to move on to the next victim.

People like Peyton aren't doing it for the money anymore, if they ever did. FI and RE are independent of one another, even here...

Perhaps not. But he has more money than he'll ever need, he has a Super Bowl Ring, he's a lock first ballot Hall of Famer... it's hard to imagine anything he needs to do on the field so badly that it's worth risking a catastrophic spinal cord injury leaving him paralyzed for life.

Perhaps not. But he has more money than he'll ever need, he has a Super Bowl Ring, he's a lock first ballot Hall of Famer... it's hard to imagine anything he needs to do on the field so badly that it's worth risking a catastrophic spinal cord injury leaving him paralyzed for life.
No disagreement here, but he's more able to make that decision than anyone else. Kind of comical how everyone has opinions on what he should do without really knowing the necessary details, just media hearsay most intended to create buzz, but part of our culture evidently. I wish Peyton, the Colts, Jim Irsay and Indianapolis all the best...they had a good run together whenever it ends.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom