Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How many adults in your ER household?
One 27 27.84%
Two 58 59.79%
More than 2 (incl. adult children, parents) 11 11.34%
Other (please explain) 1 1.03%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Size of your ER household for finances
Old 09-21-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Poll: Size of your ER household for finances

Midpack's other thread about averages for this forum http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ate-88509.html may be a bit skewed to favor couples, especially if both of them were income-producers.

To try digging a bit beneath the surface, how many people are in your ER household? I've created a category for more than 2, as there may be folks with adult children who they expect to provide care for forever, or parents, etc. But, for the most part, I expect the answers to be 1 or 2.

If you are a twosome, but each keep your finances totally separate, you'd most likely answer 1.

Feel free to post clarifying info.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2017, 01:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post

To try digging a bit beneath the surface, how many people are in your ER household? I've created a category for more than 2, as there may be folks with adult children who they expect to provide care for forever, or parents, etc. But, for the most part, I expect the answers to be 1 or 2.

omni
I voted more than two as I have two boys still in school. Or should I have voted other as i don't expect them to be providing care forever.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
I voted more than two as I have two boys still in school. Or should I have voted other as i don't expect them to be providing care forever.
They might respond as more than 2 also, they might think they will get stuck taking care of you someday.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:20 PM   #4

Just myself and my DGF. Our finances are separate. She is the low-income person, I am not.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #5
Administrator

That number has varied over time. When I retired, we were five. It even increased for a short period. Thankfully, right now we are two, although at times it seems like only one behaves like an adult.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Thankfully, right now we are two, although at times it seems like only one behaves like an adult.
DW and I each feel that way.

My guess is that she's more right than I am.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We are 2 but we keep some finances separate and some mixed, but we talk and act like they are totally mixed.
For example, no way would I buy a car or book a vacation without a bunch of talking it over.
So I answer 2.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:08 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Typical 2, all $ is joint except for IRA's.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #9

By your rules, I answered 2. But I have 2 kids under roof who aren't adults... and have their pricey college years ahead of them.

In the past we've had the in-laws living with us (so we were 6 then with 4 adults) and a grown nephew (so we were 5 then with 3 adults.)

I have no idea when the kids will be off the payroll... I plan to follow the same plan my parents did - make living at home not the most comfortable for the kids once they have completed college... chores, rent, etc. (FWIW - that's what we did to get nephew to take the step out on his own... he was mad at the time, but has since thanked us for giving him the push he needed.)
Old 09-21-2017, 03:44 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Just me and Lucy the dog.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Just me and Lucy the dog.
Same here, but no dog.

F lives right next door, 20 feet away, but we choose to keep our finances separate.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:39 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

More than 2 at the moment, but youngest child is desperately trying to be completely out of the house and on his own. Hopefully before six months it will be down to the two of us.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:24 AM   #13

Well voted 2. I do have adult children still living home, but I am certainly not counting their net worth or income as part of our finances.
MarieIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:10 AM   #14

I'm a threesome (why does that sound naughty. lol)

like Marie I have young adult children at home. I hope to God I'm not caring for them for the rest of their lives.

I'm pushing one baby bird out the nest next summer and my youngest actually graduates this winter from Temple.

Then I'm hoping to find a Portuguese pool boytoy.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:26 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Midpack's other thread about averages for this forum http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ate-88509.html may be a bit skewed to favor couples, especially if both of them were income-producers.

If you are a twosome, but each keep your finances totally separate, you'd most likely answer 1.

omni
Could you add 1 1/2 to the poll ? Wife and I keep our monies separate but we do give an equal portion to a joint account each month. We also jointly own our paid off home.

Michael
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:33 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Just DW and me. No children, except for two older dogs
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:52 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Just two adults, dog is sill a puppy.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:05 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I opted for two....but DW is 15.28% shorter than me, so does that make it less than two?

OTOH, I'm 18% taller than she is, so should it be greater than two?

It's all so confusing.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote