• Absolutely. Bring it on!

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Occasionally, some are not too bad.

Votes: 34 39.5%
  • Over my dead body!

Votes: 20 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
...My Mom and I used to enjoy Limburger before she passed away.....she and I were the only ones in our family who would eat it. I used to shock her by saying it made the kitchen smell as if someone had had a bowel movement in the room ( in different words!!!!)...

I have never had Limburger and this is the cheese most talked about here.

I was going to try it, but now you have killed my curiosity. Thanks. :LOL:

It would be fun to have a thread to make fun of some food, and each culture has something infamous to make fun of. We should also be aware that not everyone in that culture enjoys the same delicacy.

Andrew Zimmern in his TV show "Bizarre Foods" showed that in many southeast Asian countries, guests were not allowed to bring durian into hotels or on buses. In France, the cheese Epoisse is banned from public transport. So, one can see that these foods are not universally loved even at their origin. By the way, I just learned that the above cheese is banned in the US for fear of listeria.

Again, the reaction to these unique foods varies and it is funny to read the reviews. What do you think of a cheese that evokes these comments from tasters?

Smell: "seems to have been produced by a prankster trying to make his farmer mates gag... smells so incredibly strong that it could make your hair curl if you accidentally stood half a mile downwind... Smelly, really really smelly feet..."

Taste: "tastes like somebody buried my cheddar cheese in the compost and then dug it up again. I think I'm going to be sick."

Yummy? That's Rainbow Gold from England.

Last edited:
In France, the cheese Epoisse is banned from public transport. So, one can see that these foods are not universally loved even at their origin. By the way, I just learned that the above cheese is banned in the US for fear of listeria.

I buy Epoisse regularly. The USDA has a rule against importing cheeses that are less than 60 days old, based on no science whatsoever.

I buy Epoisse regularly. The USDA has a rule against importing cheeses that are less than 60 days old, based on no science whatsoever.

I'm sure it's based on the science of protecting the incumbent domestic producers of cheese from competition.

... I noticed on the menu that the price of Handkase and Handkase mit Musik were the same price. Being the frugal consumer, I asked why the same price. The waiter laughed and said that the music is free but comes later.
What kind of music? Do you have the choice of brass, woodwind, or strings?

Speaking from experience?

As a kid my friend's father travelled the world, so I got to try some of those smelly cheese, but currently I confess to being at best a blue cheese fan (if you consider that a smelly cheese).
I never dreamed that anyone would consider bleu/blue cheese to be a smelly cheese. What a surprise to see that it is referred to in this thread over a dozen times! All I can say is that some people are sure sensitive. :D

I have loved bleu cheese ever since I was a tiny tot, and also enjoy smelly cheeses. :LOL:

When my Aunt was married her 5 brothers (including dad) decided to make their wedding celebration something to remember, so they spread a healthy amount of Limburger on the radiator of the groom's car. It apparently worked better than planned - by the time he figured out what had happened everything stunk. The couple, their clothes, the car. It took a couple of days for them to get the stink off each other and their clothes, but it never completely left the car.

As my uncles tell it, she thought it was funny, although I never heard her say that. When I was a [-]yute[/-] tender young lad of 15 (20 years later) my uncle the groom was still barely talking with his brothers-in-law.

Not entirely sure it was Limburger but no doubt it was stinky cheese. :)

Last edited:
And I have read that the Germans do not have a sense of humor.

I will remember to check this out when I go to Germany. For more on this Handkase cheese, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handkäse which also talks about the "music".

I will remember to check this out when I go to Germany.

The restaurant was called Zur Zweibel (The Onion) and it's still there. It was located in Frankfurt-Bonomes near where we kept the birds (non combat helicopters). Also try the Apfelwei (Apple wine). Guten Appetit.

And I have read that the Germans do not have a sense of humor.

I will remember to check this out when I go to Germany. For more on this Handkase cheese, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handkäse which also talks about the "music".
I think that only applies to certain parts of Germany?

Others are known for their ribald sense of humor.

Back
Top Bottom