Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you have one or more paid news subsciptions?
I have a paid subscription to a local newspaper/website. 45 24.59%
I have a paid subscription to a statewide news source. 6 3.28%
I have a paid subscription to a national news source. 59 32.24%
I do not pay for any news subscriptions. 73 39.89%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2020, 03:58 PM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
The thread about crap writing got me wondering how many forum members pay to support a news source. I spent over 30 years working in daily newspaper journalism, and I see the industry as on the verge of death. COVID-19 probably knocked 25% out of an already shrinking revenue stream. A small-city daily paper in my area recently laid off its managing editor; she had worked there for 41 years.

DW and I have paid subscriptions to two local newspapers, a regional (statewide) paper and a national news source. I consider it money well spent. How about you?
I pay for NYT and Washington Post.
jayanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2020, 04:31 PM   #122
Dryer sheet wannabe

NYT and Wapo for me.
peterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:35 PM   #123
Confused about dryer sheets

The Wall Street Journal is running a Black Friday special -- $4.00/month for a year -- a total of $36. The offer expires today.
Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:15 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The thread about crap writing got me wondering how many forum members pay to support a news source. I spent over 30 years working in daily newspaper journalism, and I see the industry as on the verge of death. COVID-19 probably knocked 25% out of an already shrinking revenue stream. A small-city daily paper in my area recently laid off its managing editor; she had worked there for 41 years.

DW and I have paid subscriptions to two local newspapers, a regional (statewide) paper and a national news source. I consider it money well spent. How about you?

Husband and I subscribe to only remaining Baltimore daily paper. And it is EXPENSIVE. I think it gives us access to the online version as well, but we still like the actual paper. We like the NYT crossword puzzles that come with the Baltimore paper. We also take the local paper that comes out twice a week. I think the local is part of the Baltimore Sun. Where else would I put my vegetable peels?
Vinnygret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:24 PM   #125
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnygret View Post
Husband and I subscribe to only remaining Baltimore daily paper. And it is EXPENSIVE. I think it gives us access to the online version as well, but we still like the actual paper. We like the NYT crossword puzzles that come with the Baltimore paper. We also take the local paper that comes out twice a week. I think the local is part of the Baltimore Sun. Where else would I put my vegetable peels?
Newspaper is also good for egg shells and coffee grounds! Don't hold back!

Also, bird cage floor lining.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:32 PM   #126
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Newspaper is also good for egg shells and coffee grounds! Don't hold back!

Also, bird cage floor lining.
You should be composting all of that, including the newspaper.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:34 PM   #127
Dryer sheet aficionado

Up until a few years ago, I avoided paying .... trying to save my $$.

It finally dawned on me that if I want a strong media, I should be willing to financially support it (ads alone can't keep them afloat).

So I now subscribe to NY Time, Washington Post and The Economist.
My kids and I do share some of these subscriptions.

I wanted to ... and tried to support the local paper, but finally gave it up. It was just too bad and too expensive for what we got. (Mostly syndicated articles and all too often errors/articles that didn't really continue on Page 4 or that were duplicated in different sections of the paper. Also a new Publisher who overrode his own Editorial Board with his own opinions. )
BeanCounter62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:43 PM   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
You should be composting all of that, including the newspaper.
Just giving advice from observations on my part over the years.

There is no newsprint bought by this household. We are under "tight" budget control and decluttering simultaneously.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:56 PM   #129
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

There is no newsprint bought by this household. We are under "tight" budget control and decluttering simultaneously.
as mentioned earlier we subscribe to the local paper as well as 4-magazines. the old papers are tossed into the recycle cart every two-weeks. the mags either end up there or are given to friends. we don't compost...most organics hit the garbage disposal. the others are garbage cart bound.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:01 PM   #130
Administrator

Quote:

We don't get the print version of the paper anymore (no, not even the Waterbury Republican-American), but we do compost the output from our paper shredder, along with eggshells, coffee grounds and vegetable peels.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:06 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnygret View Post
I understand that a lot of papers are jacking up the price of their print subscriptions. I've heard $800/yr and up in some cases. It's a sad fact that publishers often see their print subscribers as people they can walk all over because they get the paper out of habit. It's not right, but most of the chains are publicly traded and, like many other corporations look only as far as the next quarterly report. If they never get another print subscriber down the road, they have a cash cow right now that they're going to exploit.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:33 PM   #132

I pay for the New York Times online. I have also subscribed to the journal Science for the past 40 years even into retirement.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:04 PM   #133
Dryer sheet aficionado

Our local paper used to be better, getting equal complaints from both the left and right. It was bought by Ganett and has gone downhill. But I still subscribe to both digital and limited print. I may have to drop the print as it has just gotten so expensive ($35/mo). I also subscribe to WAPO, WSJ and NYT online. Also a couple of local reporting sites run by people that have been laid off from the local paper, $50/yr each.

Our free press, while vital to our country, has always has been the subject of criticism and charges of bias (often warranted). But it's still better than depending on the government for our news. I'm sure a lot of politicians will be calling for a government controlled News Monitor that would decide what's "fake news" and I hope enough people see the danger in that to resist any efforts in that direction. But there certainly are lots of examples in our own country recently of gov'ts trying that.
azxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:08 PM   #134
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

NYTimes online.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:18 PM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

Our news is so slanted I would never pay for it. They don't even allow comments here(Lee). Tried for a while some time ago and found logging in with password and getting ounded with ads was way more difficult than hacking in with a good ad blocking browser. I'd pay for real news, but not fake news. And all the real news seems to have been taken over by fake news.
troutnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:21 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxracer View Post
...I still subscribe to both digital and limited print. I may have to drop the print as it has just gotten so expensive ($35/mo). ..
that was our experience with our local paper, $35 p/m. i called the office and asked if there were any other subscription options. turns out an annual subscription payable in one lump sum is just a bit more than $100. i made the change lickety split. the digital access is no additional charge.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:29 AM   #137
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thank you for bringing to the forums attention the need for the fourth estate and the need to pay for it.

Right or left, the fourth estate is here to keep government in check. If it’s not paid for by subscribers it becomes beholden solely to advertisers and corporate interests.

Quote:

BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:32 AM   #138
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I’ve never paid for a news subscription, but I’m seriously considering Apple News+. It has a lot of good sources (WaPo, LAT, WSJ, etc. basically everything I’d read except the NYT - so better than any one major news subscription?) and they don’t allow fringe stories into the feed, unlike Twitter, Facebook for example. It also includes tons of magazines, but I get those for free from my local library.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:41 AM   #139
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I’ve never paid for a news subscription, but I’m seriously considering Apple News+. It has a lot of good sources (WaPo, LAT, WSJ, .
Just FYI, it (Apple News+) does not have the WaPo.

If it had the WSJ, NYT, and WaPo it would be killer IMHO.... but alas I don't think it is getting to be that "single subscription" many hoped it would.

Article here discussing apple news+ struggles w/ some papers:
https://9to5mac.com/2020/08/12/apple...eet-journal-2/

As an aside the WSJ $1 a week for a year deal is still on Today. I signed up. Always liked the WSJ, but just couldn't add another subscription at top dollar (normal price supposedly $40 / mo) to what I already pay for.

And for those that like the WaPo the best deal over the long haul is to subscribe thru amazon prime. (free for 6 months, then about $1 week).

Thinking about it, it seems like all the papers are moving to a buck a week deals usually for new subscribers.... I guess everyones threshold is different but to me if I read the paper regularly, contributing a buck a week to paying for real journalism seems totally fair. Much harder to justify $40/mo for digital access.

A funny story for ex journalists if no one else mentioned it. Years ago thousands of journalists were busted for all using newspaper account (I think it was WSJ). Thousands. Kind of seriously hypocritical. Since then WSJ beefed up their security to 5 devices max.
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:45 AM   #140
Dryer sheet aficionado

The only news you can count on is the weather. So far no agendas here even if they are wrong.....
Almost There 2021 is offline   Reply With Quote