Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you have one or more paid news subsciptions?
I have a paid subscription to a local newspaper/website. 45 24.59%
I have a paid subscription to a statewide news source. 6 3.28%
I have a paid subscription to a national news source. 59 32.24%
I do not pay for any news subscriptions. 73 39.89%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2020, 07:48 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost There 2021 View Post
The only news you can count on is the weather. So far no agendas here even if they are wrong.....
If only that were true.

Plenty of commentary and speculation added to every weather event as to the "cause" of it.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2020, 07:52 AM   #142
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Plenty of commentary and speculation added to every weather event as to the "cause" of it.
That's not weather...that's agitprop.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:11 AM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

Pay for the WSJ and the local (FL) Gannett rag during the winter (which gets worse all the time). Everything else I try to sneak into.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:57 AM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post
Just FYI, it (Apple News+) does not have the WaPo.
It does carry a large number of WaPo articles.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:17 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost There 2021 View Post
The only news you can count on is the weather. So far no agendas here even if they are wrong.....
Oh, weather DOES have an agenda. Not sure how you missed that.

Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:25 PM   #146
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
If only that were true.

Weather always has and always will have a single cause -- differential heating, both horizontally and vertically.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:50 PM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We use a news aggregator for most of it. Paid subscription.
I hope I haven't missed it in the subsequent discussions, but could you say a little more about the details of that service? Or is this just the Apple News that you mention you also have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Why would you pay $20/month for WSJ when you can subscribe to Apple News and get just about every publication in existence, including WSJ, for $10/month?
As others also have mentioned, it seems the NYT is not in Apple News anymore, various other news sources in it offer only a subset of their full content; and it doesn't run on a PC. I am reluctant to enter the Mac world just for that.

Overall I don't mind paying for subscriptions, and ultimately this is what is needed to keep newspapers alive. The problem is that there are just so many news sources, and including the two international ones we are already paying for, there is just too much "subscription creep", including even just the trouble of keeping payment methods current should you switch your credit card, heaven forbid.

So to have a simple, wide ranging aggregator service seems really appealing to me. Just for the advantage of this "KISS" approach, I wouldn't even mind paying a bit more.
Leo1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:07 PM   #148
Administrator

Apple News Plus is an aggregator. It usually offers a one month free trial period, but has a Black Friday / Cyber Monday offer for a free 3 month trial. I think I’ll sign up.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:16 PM   #149
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just subscribed to the local big city paper - and it was because of this thread. So ER.org just made a tiny contribution to the survival of print journalism.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:25 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
I just subscribed to the local big city paper - and it was because of this thread. So ER.org just made a tiny contribution to the survival of print journalism.
Good on YOU!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:25 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Do not pay for news. Too many versions of the the same stuff.
ER org provides enough
Old 11-29-2020, 07:38 AM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post
Just FYI, it (Apple News+) does not have the WaPo.
Quote:
It does carry a large number of WaPo articles.
Not sure what the arrangement is, but there are some WaPo articles all the time. Today:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50DF85DF-B3C1-4D10-9403-9CF6117C218F.jpg (401.4 KB, 20 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:00 AM   #153
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been receiving unsolicited Apple News headlines on my Apple devices for some time. Looked at some of their stories a couple of times. It became quite clear that the Apple News aggregate was politically slanted which should not surprise anyone. I have had offers in the past couple years to receive the WAPO for free and chose not to. If I want to read the news, I want just the news and not attempts at mind control through slanted and censored propaganda. No thank you!
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:46 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
I have been receiving unsolicited Apple News headlines on my Apple devices for some time. Looked at some of their stories a couple of times. It became quite clear that the Apple News aggregate was politically slanted which should not surprise anyone. I have had offers in the past couple years to receive the WAPO for free and chose not to. If I want to read the news, I want just the news and not attempts at mind control through slanted and censored propaganda. No thank you!
All papers have editors and there's always going to be some editorial bias. This shows most clearly in editorials and commentary which can be ignored. That said, better newspapers on both the left and right fact check their articles and will be called out by their competitors if they publish outright falsehoods. Just to be non-partisan (or bipartisan, I guess) I would put both the Wall Street Journal and New York Times into this category. Their editors may choose which stories to promote, but neither prints outright falsehoods to the best of my knowledge. Both also print corrections when they find they've made an error. This willingness to admit error and print corrections is, I believe, a key measure of reputability. When was the last time you saw a truly biased 'news' source on either the right or left admit they were wrong?

You can choose to read reputable papers from either the left or right (or, better yet, both) but to not read newspapers at all because of the bias of their editors makes one vulnerable to far more biased and less reliable 'curated' news feeds.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:10 PM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I read the WSJ 6x/week because my neighbor here at our CCRC drops it off at my door daily when he finishes with it. I once offered to split the cost with him, but he would have none of that.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:53 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You can select your preferred news sources with Apple News Plus and delete others - i.e. fully customize it. You are not limited to a fixed feed predetermined by someone else.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:50 PM   #157
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You can select your preferred news sources with Apple News Plus and delete others - i.e. fully customize it. You are not limited to a fixed feed predetermined by someone else.

Thanks for the information! That makes it much more attractive!
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 05:57 AM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the information! That makes it much more attractive!
What I really like is that you can pick specific topics of interest - say Archaeology for instance - and Apple News will feed them to you. You can also add a bunch of topics to your sidebar to see those articles. Which is how I use it most of the time. I don't generally look at their overall feed.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:00 AM   #159
Confused about dryer sheets

We pay

Subscribe to local paper (Minneapolis Star Tribune) Community paper and WSJ. rationale?? You get what you don't pay for.
Smallr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:55 PM   #160

Subscription to The Economist for 40+ years, local papers too.