Poll: Who's the Head Cook at Your House?

Who Does Most of the Cooking at Your House?

• Mostly DH (incl no DW)

Votes: 32 31.7%
  • Mostly DW (incl no DH)

Votes: 42 41.6%
  • Pretty even between DW & DH

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • Mostly restaurants, defrosting prepeared foods, carryout, professional chef, etc.

Votes: 8 7.9%

• Total voters

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Yes I know we're a mix of working, spouse working, both retired, single, married, etc. Just for fun...

Last edited:
Couldn't you have worked some kind of ratio analysis into this?

Does sitting the box of Cheerios and jug of milk on the table count as preparing breakfast? What if I also peel an orange? DW frequently has a heavy snack late morning when she gets back from the health club. Does she get credit for preparing a meal for grabbing a yogurt and a banana? Where does making 5:00 PM cocktails fit in? Grilling outdoors count the same as sweating over a hot stove in the kitchen? How about when I bring the granolla bars and energy drink when we're out canoeing?

So many complications...... I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it.......

Last edited:
So single people don't count?

So single people don't count?
I mentioned "single" in my post, and that's what the parens in option #1 & #2 were for...sheeeeesh. Even if you're single, you can still be darling...

Since my situation doesn't fit any of the choices on the poll, I didn't cast a ballot. However, since it's food related I just have to post anyway. ;)

I share the old family homestead with my elderly Mom, and though we have our own lives and go our own separate ways, we almost always share dinner together. We both enjoy cooking, so we take turns preparing dinner. It's usually split up with her cooking about 60% and me about 40%. And whenever neither of us feel like cooking, like today, we head to one of our many favorite restaurants.....tonight is "cheap chicken" night at a local tavern (less than $10 for both of us).

I mentioned "single" in my post, and that's what the parens in option #1 & #2 were for...sheeeeesh. Even if you're single, you can still be darling...

single people can be so myopic :D

I have done almost all the cooking for 30 years. I am surprised to see men are in the majority although that does seem to be the case with a lot of my friends. DW bakes which I rarely do.

I am the main cook since I retired before that it was both of us cooking . I enjoy cooking and trying new menu's . My SO grills whatever I hand him marinated to grill . He does bake cookies when my Mom visits .:)

DW used to cook more than I, but I've been catching up over the last few years. We're probably cooking about the same now that she works more than I do. I do a lot of grilling - DW does everything else. But tonight I'm cooking Manwich - I hope it turns out ok.

Last edited:
I am the cook, always have been. DW does not enjoy cooking at all and I do.

The young wife is the cook, and a fine one she is. I am on permanent KP. I think it's a fair trade.

I am the chef. He is the sous-chef, who chops ingredients and sets them out in little bowls. He doesn't like to cook, but doing the chopping and the cooking involves too much standing, which is hard on me. Also he is neater; I tend to spread ingredients all around the kitchen, while he corrals them in one place.

Amethyst

DW is no doubt the cook and a good one at that. But she is very good a making reservations also.

I am the chef. He is the sous-chef, who chops ingredients and sets them out in little bowls. He doesn't like to cook, but doing the chopping and the cooking involves too much standing, which is hard on me. Also he is neater; I tend to spread ingredients all around the kitchen, while he corrals them in one place.

Amethyst
Doesn't sous mean under? Is he aware of his placement?

I did most of the cooking while married. Now that I am living alone, I find that my recipes for two typically last me 3 days. One of the benefits of being single, I suppose (trying to look on the bright side :) ) I find I have more time at night to read, etc., as long as I am willing to eat leftovers. So far, it's going well!

I did most of the cooking while married. Now that I am living alone, I find that my recipes for two typically last me 3 days. One of the benefits of being single, I suppose (trying to look on the bright side :) ) I find I have more time at night to read, etc., as long as I am willing to eat leftovers. So far, it's going well!

Yup, none of this "cooking for one" stuff. Cook a big batch of something and graze leftovers for days! Repeatedly single-meal prepping for one is not sustainable.

Somehow over the last 25 years the kitchen has become all mine.

I think it started when I showed spouse a more optimal packing method for the dishwasher. Then I showed her how to stow food in the fridge & pantry by rotating the old stock to the front and stacking new containers in the back, but in a staggered pattern to make it easy to access the variety. Then I installed a huge 18-gauge single-bowl stainless-steel sink that holds an entire broiler pan for easier turkey-carving and soaking/cleanup. She's been really impressed by all this submarine experience.

And then, of course, we got Scoobie to clean our tile floors.

Everyone in Hale Nords has always been on their own for breakfasts & lunches, unless we're cooking something like pancakes for company. Head cook duties rotated between us parents when our daughter was growing up, except that somehow I've always ended up in charge of side dishes & salads. Our daughter would do one or two dinners a month and she enjoys baking cakes. She'd clear the table but of course I'd clean the kitchen.

Our daughter left for college over three semesters ago. Since then we've fallen into a habit of weekly Costco pizza with frozen dinners on the other six nights. We supplement that with salad or backyard papaya or other fruit. Zippy's chili once or twice a quarter, or perhaps our curry-cooking neighbor brings something by on holidays. I think I've cooked a couple BBQs in the last 18 months. Otherwise we still have homemade spaghetti sauce in the freezer from July 2010 that I've been meaning to take care of...

I chop and wash dishes by hand, no new fangled electric dishwasher here. In exchange Ms G. can, and will use every pot and dish in the house, even for rice and beans.

The young wife is the cook, and a fine one she is. I am on permanent KP. I think it's a fair trade.
My situation as well. There is absolutely no doubt I have the advantage.

Back
Top Bottom