Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Would you try pot if it were legal in your state?
I have and I would. 81 44.26%
I have and I would not. 43 23.50%
Never have, and I would. 15 8.20%
Never have, and I would not. 44 24.04%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2014, 06:34 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

Society IS the reason people need to escape reality...
Yowza!
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
Anyone remember this song? "You gotta let it out Captain!"
"Jaime Brockett - Legend of the USS Titanic " ...
Wow! I haven't thought of that song in 30 some years. Love it! I'll have to listen closely again, seems some of the facts are twisted - Wright Bros not even thinking about Kitty Hawk in 1913? He's taking the Titanic from NY to England? The Germans bombing Pearl Harbor ( whoops, that was Animal House!). But then again, they call it the 'USS Titanic', not the RMS Titanic', so I guess that's poetic license. Love the change from frenetic guitar strumming to the gentle, airy "And he walked around the Wheelhouse....".

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
.... I felt absolutely no euphoria, no rush, no high whatsoever from oxycodone. How people get hooked on it is a mystery to me. ...
Well, let me give you another perspective. I was in a car accident over 20 years ago, spent the night in ICU and another 5 days in the hospital. Had a badly broken wrist, cracked and broken ribs and just ached all over (car was totaled). I had a bruise from the seat belt that looked (and felt) like a home run king took a good swing at me. I got locals for the wrist, but nothing much else that I recall for pain. The guy in the bed next to me seemed OK, but complained of back pain, and was getting shots several times a day, while he didn't do anything the docs/nurses asked of him, and his buddies were sneaking in beer.

So the 4th day, I figured what the heck am I being a martyr for, I'll have what he's having (Demerol). So I get the shot, and a few seconds later... it was like a thousand angels gently lifted me and I was floating above the bed as the pain washed away like a gentle ocean wave on a warm beach. I had forgotten what it was like to not be aching, and this was bliss, just pure heaven. A few seconds later, as I felt my body gently return to Earth, I told the nurse, "Do not ever give me any of that ever again!" I was really afraid it could be addicting.

Now I don't think I have an addictive personality or gene or whatever - I drink practically everyday, but hate getting drunk. And I've never done anything other than a rare and legitimate prescribed drug since that time, but I can see how people could get hooked.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:25 AM   #103

Reality is fascinating enough for me. I do not even like the mind change that comes with alcohol.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:09 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

So the 4th day, I figured what the heck am I being a martyr for, I'll have what he's having (Demerol). So I get the shot, and a few seconds later... it was like a thousand angels gently lifted me and I was floating above the bed as the pain washed away like a gentle ocean wave on a warm beach. I had forgotten what it was like to not be aching, and this was bliss, just pure heaven.
I didn't want to bring this up because the discussion is about pot but Demerol is beyond ecstasy, not the street drug but the sensation! I dislocated my shoulder in the early 70's and trust me the pain is intense beyond description. Doctors have told me it is far worse than childbirth, one of if not the worst pain there is. They gave me a shot of Demerol and in a few seconds they could have cut my body in half with a chain saw and I wouldn't have cared! I don't know how Demerol compares to heroin, meth et al but I can't imagine a better feeling. Scary!
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #105

I was just viewing this slideshow of a new marijuana dispensary in Denver, CO and couldn't help thinking that the guys working the counter all look as if they are still living in their Mum's basements...........

Yahoo!

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:26 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I was just viewing this slideshow of a new marijuana dispensary in Denver, CO and couldn't help thinking that the guys working the counter all look as if they are still living in their Mum's basements...........

Yahoo!
You say that like it is a bad thing, lol.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
You say that like it is a bad thing, lol.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #108
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well, I was a teenager and 20-something during the late 60's and 70's in California. I was young and wanted to have fun - plus I managed to graduate from college. Without going into details, I will say that I did have fun - lots of it.

If I had been born in a different era, my fun-loving nature would have embraced whatever others were doing...drinking during the 50's etc. etc.

I don't drink, smoke, or ingest MJ today, and haven't for many, many years. I meditate, do yoga, etc. But, I have no problem with others' choices. I do, however, think that meth is, truly, a scourge and public health risk.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post

Yahoo!
Probably growing weed in Mum's basement...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
Well, I was a teenager and 20-something during the late 60's and 70's in California. I was young and wanted to have fun - plus I managed to graduate from college. Without going into details, I will say that I did have fun - lots of it.

If I had been born in a different era, my fun-loving nature would have embraced whatever others were doing...drinking during the 50's etc. etc.

I don't drink, smoke, or ingest MJ today, and haven't for many, many years. I meditate, do yoga, etc. But, I have no problem with others' choices. I do, however, think that meth is, truly, a scourge and public health risk.
Agree with your comments on meth, believe it or not there is something worse that has recently been showing up in the US. Oxi alpears to kill its users much faster. Let the pot heads go, this is something that is a hazard, to something besides twinkies.
MRG

http://www.drugaddictiontreatment.co...and-oxycontin/

In contrast to OxyContin, the drug Oxi does not have a day job as a prescription medication. Oxi is illegal and highly dangerous blended drug-a combination of various noxious substances with no legitimate therapeutic purpose.
Oxi originated along the Amazonian borders of Peru, Bolivia, and Brazil in the 1980s. In the past decade it has experienced a surge of popularity that has caused it to spread as far south as Rio De Janeiro and Sao Paulo. The drug takes its name from the Spanish word ‘oxidado,’ which means rust.
Although the exact chemical nature of Oxi is not known, the drug is believed to be made by combining cocaine paste, kerosene, gasoline, and calcium oxide. The resulting substance is a powerful hallucinogen, and has been described as being twice as strong as crack cocaine. Unfortunately, the drug is only a fraction of the price of crack cocaine, making it attractive to many drug abusers in spite of its dangers. The drug is also so addictive that anti-drug organizations in the Amazon region report that the majority of users become addicted to Oxi after their first use.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #111

Medical marijuana is legal in my state (WA). I have never used pot in the past but would consider adding it to my conventional cancer treatments if appropriate.
I don't know if I will be able to vote in the poll after I submit this. I've been having that "disappearing login" problem since the server upgrade.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:34 PM   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Was in Colorado when it was legalized. I would probably only smoke it if my current glaucoma meds didn't work.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:05 PM   #113

Several caveats for legal Pot in Colorado. 1) The 'Colorado Clean Indoor Air Act' limits the locations for smoking of tobacco in the State. The new Pot law is even more restrictive for smoke. The only place you definitely legally smoke pot in Colorado is in your home, if you own it, or if your landlord gives permission. It is not the pot that is of concern here, it is the second hand smoke (Edibles are fine anywhere, AFIK, if it amounts to less than an ounce). 2) Employers can still drug test their workers and fire people for testing positive for Pot. 3) Tourists have to follow the same clean air regulations. There are some 'Pot friendly' hotels, but even then, only 25% of rooms in a hotel may be 'smoking rooms', either pot or tobacco. Some hotels apparently have 'smoking porches'. 4) Driving vehicles while high will get you arrested same as driving drunk. The authorities are arguing now about how to determine 'highness'. 4) medical Marijuana is classed differently, and is sold at a cheaper price than the Pot for sale to the Public.

You may ask what is the point of making Pot legal with all these restrictions? The intention of most people I know that voted for it is to keep potheads out of prison. Too many people are in prison for stupid stuff, and Pot is at the top of the list.

All that being said, almost all of these restrictions will not affect retired homeowners at all.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
After all the strides the American Cancer Society has made in making cigarette smoking a 'dirty habit', I'm surprised at the general acceptance of smoking anything at this point.

Not sure of the health risks of smoking pot, but...it can't be good for you.

I know it's early in the poll, but I am surprised at the number of respondents who've 'never tried it' (I thought I was the only one on the planet who hasn't!) and of those who have tried, but won't now.
Something like 10 years ago, a doctor in Oregon (a big weed state) reported his findings that pot smokers had seven times the rate of lung cancer as cigarette smokers. Having known several good people who died of smoking-related diseases and having a doctor friend in the business of palliative radiation treatment for terminal cancer patients for who no longer respond to chemical pain killers, I have come to the opinion that smokers are either stupid or suicidal at some level--addictive personalities. I smoked for a year in the army in the Viet Nam years. In that situation, a kid doesn't worry too much about long-term threats to life. Quitting was the hardest thing I ever did.

My friend recounted how many times a patient would plaintively ask, "Doctor, do you think my smoking has anything to do with my cancer?" Hmmm. Could be.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:01 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

By the way, I'm not smoking anything ever again. Haven't for over 40 years and we have few (one) friends who smoke at all.

BTW, I notice that I cannot edit my posts anymore.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Was in Colorado when it was legalized. I would probably only smoke it if my current glaucoma meds didn't work.
I have much family history of glaucoma and currently use prescription eyedrops to control intra-ocular pressure. I'm not sure if I have actual glaucoma or some sort of precursor condition. If I do ever use MMJ for cancer or SE of cancer treatment, I imagine that a dose adjustment of my eyedrops might be needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
(snip)Edibles are fine anywhere, AFIK, if it amounts to less than an ounce (snip)
I think there are similar restrictions in WA, but I wonder how that applies in the case of edibles—does it mean you can only have one ounce of edibles with marijuana in them, or you can have any quantity of edibles so long as the total marijuana content is under an ounce?
Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
4) Driving vehicles while high will get you arrested same as driving drunk. The authorities are arguing now about how to determine 'highness'.
Recreational marijuana is also legal in WA, and the law sets a blood THC standard for driving stoned. As I recall the campaign, one of the issues raised by opponents of the initiative is that the allowable blood level is so low that many medical marijuana users would be legally stoned at all times. As far as I know there is no self-testing kit which one could use to find out if one is under or over the limit at any given time. The possible need to give up driving is one reason I'm only thinking about using medical marijuana at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
By the way, I'm not smoking anything ever again. Haven't for over 40 years and we have few (one) friends who smoke at all. (snip)
I've never smoked anything ever, and if I do decide to add medical pot to my treatment regimen I'll put it in food or use an extract or tincture, not smoke it.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Drugs and Medical MJ
Old 01-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

Drugs and Medical MJ

While in college and in the Army in the late 60s, I tried most of the drugs available, except for the opiates. Saw several guys return from Vietnam with drug habits. By age 30, I had lost interest in being high or using any drug including tobacco or alcohol stronger than beer.

I am for the legalization of all drugs to remove the profit from the cartels, remove the taxes from the prison and drug enforcement industries, and reduce the indirect tax of the crimes committed to buy drugs. For anyone testing positive while driving, and for anyone who wants free drugs or alcohol, go to the free drug farm and stay there until you die or pass multiple drug tests in order to leave. That is cheaper than the current failed system. Give drugs to the addicts but keep those people off of the streets and highways.

Due to degenerative back disease and multiple surgeries, my DW has a medical MJ card. She prefers that pain killer to the opiates that are prescribed by her Doctors of MEDICINE. One of the components of medical pot is a pain killer, while another is the stoner chemical. Each pot strain is tested and marketed showing the mixture of those two components, so the customer can choose one to be awake with reduced pain, or another to be able to go to sleep.

The edibles have the amount of MJ printed on the container, not unlike the potency on some brewery beer menus.
heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:46 AM   #118
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
I have much family history of glaucoma and currently use prescription eyedrops to control intra-ocular pressure. I'm not sure if I have actual glaucoma or some sort of precursor condition.
My mother has glaucoma which of late has become difficult to control. She lives in Chicago, which is now allowing some medicinal MJ use. During her most recent checkup I mentioned to her ophthalmologist that we might try that if his treatments did not improve her condition. I was joking, but his response was not, and he gave me the death stare I usually only get at home. He was seriously offended, told her that might have serious side effects or other consequences. Made me smile.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:35 AM   #119

Never have, never will. Have better things to do with my time and money.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:41 AM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
My mother has glaucoma which of late has become difficult to control. She lives in Chicago, which is now allowing some medicinal MJ use. During her most recent checkup I mentioned to her ophthalmologist that we might try that if his treatments did not improve her condition. I was joking, but his response was not, and he gave me the death stare I usually only get at home. He was seriously offended, told her that might have serious side effects or other consequences. Made me smile.

Not to marginalize the fact that inhaling smoke is not a natural, healthy thing for humans, it's really appalling that healthcare professionals can be so ill-informed. Must have learned that in RM101(Reefer Madness)...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote