Join Early Retirement Today

Pool filler
Old 05-25-2020, 05:34 AM   #1
gone traveling

Pool filler

Have any snowbirds out there had to use a pool filler while they were gone? My understanding is that they work somewhat like the float in a toilet... if the level goes down far enough, the water will come on until the float rises to some level.

I would be interested to hear any stories about them, how the work, what brands to buy or avoid, etc.

Here in FL, we often get more rain in the summer, but it is definitely not always enough to compensate for the evaporation.
BoodaGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2020, 06:09 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
When we had our pool resurfaced last fall, the contractor used one of these devices to stop filling the pool when they were not onsite. Looked just like a toilet bowl float attached to a valve and garden hose with a heavy base. The float hung down on over the side. Not visually appealing.

Before the resurfacing, we had a leak that was isolated to the pool light niche. Pretty common for those to crack over time and ground settling. Instead of spending $2k for a replacement, I epoxied the crack when the pool was empty, and then used plumbers putty around the light electrical cord. Works like a champ.
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:48 AM   #3

wouldn't the pool maintenance company take care of that on their visits? I assume they are there every week or 2.
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:49 AM   #4
gone traveling

Yes, I can ask my pool guy, but I wanted to see if there was an automated method.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:24 AM   #5

I installed an automatic sprinkler valve on the water fill line going to my pool. I have it set up to come on for five minutes every day, which pretty much keeps up with evaporation. If I’m away from home for an extended period, I monitor the pool level via one of my home security cameras, and can adjust the duration of the pool fill intervals if necessary via my wi-fi sprinkler controller.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:26 AM   #6
gone traveling

Was it self-installed? What brand?
Old 05-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #7

Yes, it was self installed. It’s a Rain Bird sprinkler valve connected to my Orbit B-Hyve WiFi sprinkler controller.

The pipe going down into the concrete is the pool fill line. Previously, I could only fill the pool by manually opening the top valve on the vertical line. I installed the sprinkler valve below that valve, plus another manual valve in parallel so that I could still operate it manually.

Adjustments.JPG
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #8
gone traveling

Thanks for the info!
Old 05-25-2020, 11:20 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We never had an issue but before going away for 3 weeks, I'd fill the pool full, heavily chlorinate it, and put on a surface floating bubble plastic that covered the water.

Our evaporation is probably not as much as FL, although we do normally get a few weeks of drought in the summer turning the lawns brown (unless watered).
Old 05-25-2020, 04:01 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post
When we had our pool resurfaced last fall, the contractor used one of these devices to stop filling the pool when they were not onsite. Looked just like a toilet bowl float attached to a valve and garden hose with a heavy base. The float hung down on over the side. Not visually appealing.

Before the resurfacing, we had a leak that was isolated to the pool light niche. Pretty common for those to crack over time and ground settling. Instead of spending $2k for a replacement, I epoxied the crack when the pool was empty, and then used plumbers putty around the light electrical cord. Works like a champ.

Having been through this myself you might expect this repair not to last more than 2-4 years. The forces you described are still there and working right now on the epoxy.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:51 PM   #11

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Thanks for sharing your experience. I will keep an eye on the epoxy. (Seem to be getting proficient at removing the light and inspecting the niche with a mask.)
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:58 PM   #12

We had one at our pool in Florida. Water evaporation rate was about 1/4" per day, so if we were gone for a couple weeks, I would hook it up. They start at $50, so well worth it. Your local pool shop should have them in stock, or there's always Amazon.

Easy to install. Hose on one end, and the other end in the pool. You adjust the float mechanism to when you want the level to be.

We had a pool guy, but the pool fills slowly, so don't think they want to watch it for 45 minutes while it fills.
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:38 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I made one using PVC and a stock tank float valve from Tractor supply.
conversationalphrase is offline   Reply With Quote
make it permanent
Old 05-26-2020, 05:20 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

make it permanent

We had a pool filler like others have described, hung over the edge of the pool, didn't look great, but did the job. Over time, however, the sun (UV light actually) tends to bake the plastic case, things become brittle, maybe even warp a little...might need to tap it to get things going again.

When we had our pool resurfaced, we had them drill a 1" hole through the side wall, below the water line. We then installed a brass pool filler valve in a container the size of a coffee can, which sits below ground...landscape canister you would use for a sprinkler valve.

I buried a 3/4" PVC pipe, with a cut off valve, to our water main, and since everything in under ground, there is no UV deterioration of the parts, no hose lying on the patio. Don't even know it is there.

It has been 10 years now, and things are still working great!!!
levindb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:20 AM   #15
gone traveling

Many thanks to all for their observations and comments..