Pop Culture? What's that?

jjquantz

Full time employment: Posting here.
The other day I decided to set up a separate profile in Netflix for me. Winter's settling in and I may be exercising in front of the TV. DW doesn't like [-]the[/-] her Wait List to be all cluttered up with my items.

So, when I started a new profile, Netflix presented a list of 42 TV shows and movies with the phrase, "pick three that you like and we can then suggest more," or something to that effect.

To get to the point, there were only 3 items on the list that I had even seen and I had REALLY disliked them. So much for me and pop culture in 2015.:hide:
I chose to skip that step. The process didn't leave me feeling very connected to my fellow human beings.:facepalm:

I only wish DH would set up a different profile!the. I wouldn't get bombarded with suggestions for awful shoot em up movies!

If you dig deeper into that preferences, there are some better choices you can drill down to, but honestly their picks rarely resonate with me. Weird, we are!

When you have watched some movies on your new profile, Netflix will have some personalized data to work with.

I only wish DH would set up a different profile!the. I wouldn't get bombarded with suggestions for awful shoot em up movies!

Sounds like me and DW. She likes movies about romances and family issues. I like movies with lots of explosions.

There is a reason we have two TVs....:D

To get to the point, there were only 3 items on the list that I had even seen and I had REALLY disliked them. So much for me and pop culture in 2015.:hide:
This is how I feel whenever I go to look at streaming videos, too. I never heard of most of them, really, and the ones I have seen are awful.

That's OK, because I have more recreational interests than time.

When you have watched some movies on your new profile, Netflix will have some personalized data to work with.

Yes, Netflix is very good at this; if anyone would like to know what shows are recommended to someone who has plowed through thirteen seasons (still not done!) of Midsomer Murders, just let me know :LOL:

Yes, Netflix is very good at this; if anyone would like to know what shows are recommended to someone who has plowed through thirteen seasons (still not done!) of Midsomer Murders, just let me know :LOL:

I've found that Netflix's recommendations are mostly movies with the same star or that are tagged with the same subject (action, thriller, horror, whatever). Their suggestions are really bad, IMO. I seldom even look at them.

I chose to skip that step. The process didn't leave me feeling very connected to my fellow human beings.:facepalm:

I consider that to be a good attribute...

Weird, we are!

+1

I've found that Netflix's recommendations are mostly movies with the same star or that are tagged with the same subject (action, thriller, horror, whatever). Their suggestions are really bad, IMO. I seldom even look at them.

Too bad. We've really enjoyed the Netflix-suggested series that Midsomer Murders triggered, but we don't watch too many movies on Netflix, so maybe those suggestions would be disappointing.

And I seldom watch TV shows on Netflix. And when I think about it, my movie choices can be pretty weird, so maybe it's not Netflix's fault.

Netflix

I don't watch many "regular" TV shows and rarely watch a movie. Mostly documentaries and some DIY type stuff. I go through phases with Netflix. When I use it a lot and actively rank shows, I get great suggestions, and that spurs more watching. When I'm in a phase like now, when I'm not watching much, the suggestions are terrible... typical popular, generic content that I have zero interest in. It definitely requires some effort to have a good experience. Separate profiles are a must.

Back
Top Bottom