Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-11-2016, 06:10 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Full on Theater setup;

Really good -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2016, 06:14 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

^^^ Sweet! ^^^^
Old 10-11-2016, 06:19 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Jack, have you used the All-In-One? How is it?
We use it all the time. To us, it is the closest thing to the theater experience that we have found. Have turned on quite a few folks to this and they like it as well.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:45 PM   #24
Administrator

Big popcorn fan here as well and have tried all sorts of schemes over the years.. By far the best result is using a goofy microwave popper and coconut oil

This popper: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005IBXK..._t1_B00FN3LPYY
and any unrefined coconut oil - I get mine in a giant vat at Costco. I also get popcorn at costco - usually it's Orville redenbacher I think.

The popcorn goes in the bottom of the popper, then the seasoning and fat - amazing!

As a side note I've noticed that the price of popcorn kernels has gone up a lot in the past several years. Anyone know why?
Old 10-11-2016, 06:52 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Sprinkle with good Parmesan. Plenty salty, and adds a lot of flavor.

When I do pop corn, I use the air popper for convenience, but oil popped the old way on the stove top is better, IMO. Tried the paper bag trick once and burned it, but I should try again.

Can't stand the smell of the microwave stuff that is buttered, just way too strong a butter flavor for me, just about turns my stomach. But for some reason, I seem to not be very sensitive to that same butter-flavor chemical (Diacetyl) in beers (sometimes produced as a byproduct of fermentation).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:55 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post

As a side note I've noticed that the price of popcorn kernels has gone up a lot in the past several years. Anyone know why?
I'd guess the same reason that other corn prices have gone up - the ethanol mandate. An awful lot of corn goes to producing ethanol, which was supposed to be 'green', but that seems to not be the case after further study.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:00 PM   #27

I saw this on QVC -
Chef'n Steam Release Microwave Popcorn Popper

http://www.qvc.com/Chefn-Steam-Release-Microwave-Popcorn-Popper-with-Seasonings.product.K43181.html?sc=K43181-SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-1-_-K43181&catentryImage=http://images.qvc.com/is/image/k/81/k43181.001?$uslarge$

It's a silicone folding thingy that unfolds as the popcorn pops.

I don't have one, I just thought it was clever. No oil needed.

Anyone here have one of these?
Old 10-11-2016, 08:21 PM   #28

There are health concerns with prepackaged microwave popcorn. Apparently there's a substance used inside the bag that when heated breaks down into a chemical that is linked to certain types of cancer.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

We use paper lunch bags . 1/4 cup popcorn and small amount of melted butter and sea salt . Tape bag shut and put it in the microwave until it stops popping ( Our micro is being finicky so I can not give you a definite time ) . It is just the right amount for us.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:05 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Zinger is absolutely correct about microwave popcorn being harmful. The best popcorn as said earlier is on the stove in a pot with Canola oil and flavored if desired. OP wanted to know more about gourmet etc..... Try this: Sorghum seed popcorn. Pops very small, on low heat and is hugely nutritious and has a very good and unique flavor. You can usually find it in quality supermarkets or health food stores. I still love popcorn, but sorghum gives you that extra flavor and nutritional punch.
sheldon cornped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:20 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I buy the Kirkland Signature microwave popcorn in the 44 package container. It is near in taste to the movie theater butter brands of Pop Secret and Orville. Do not know if the bags are PFOA free. Here is a list that I could find.

• Quinn Popcorn*
• Jolly Time Popcorn*
• Snappy Popcorn Co.*
• Newman's Own Organics

Here is a link to what Zinger and others are talking about.
nubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:09 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubill View Post
I buy the Kirkland Signature microwave popcorn in the 44 package container. It is near in taste to the movie theater butter brands of Pop Secret and Orville. Do not know if the bags are PFOA free. Here is a list that I could find.

• Quinn Popcorn*
• Jolly Time Popcorn*
• Snappy Popcorn Co.*
• Newman's Own Organics

Here is a link to what Zinger and others are talking about.
From the link cited:

Quote:
"Under a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency program, the use of PFOAs is to be phased out of almost all products by the end of 2015."
Probably not many, if any, still using PFOA's.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:24 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Microwave 94% with some zero calorie 'butter' on it. Just bought a box of microwave popcorn from the boy scouts. The bag is soaked through with 'butter' when you unwrap it. Man is it good! It ain't low fat.

College roommate in the 80s had a aluminum popcorn popper. Top half was basically a pot, bottom half held the top and had a exposed nichrome heater element. It made the BEST corn.
Turn_the_Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:27 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
There are health concerns with prepackaged microwave popcorn. Apparently there's a substance used inside the bag that when heated breaks down into a chemical that is linked to certain types of cancer.
Diacetyl 5 Scary Facts About Microwave Popcorn
Turn_the_Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:54 AM   #35
gone traveling

I like Skinny Pop, much healthier than most others.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:57 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
We use paper lunch bags . 1/4 cup popcorn and small amount of melted butter and sea salt . Tape bag shut and put it in the microwave until it stops popping ( Our micro is being finicky so I can not give you a definite time ) . It is just the right amount for us.
Almost identical here. 1/4 cup kroger/walmart popcorn, a splash of oil, more kosher salt than I should, and three staples to close the paper lunch bag. In our microwave, 2 minutes is the correct time.

FWIW, I was concerned about staples in the microwave, but at least with that little bit of metal, there is no perceivable issue.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:36 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Almost identical here. 1/4 cup kroger/walmart popcorn, a splash of oil, more kosher salt than I should, and three staples to close the paper lunch bag. In our microwave, 2 minutes is the correct time.

FWIW, I was concerned about staples in the microwave, but at least with that little bit of metal, there is no perceivable issue.

Ditto, although I find using 1/3 cup works too. I pop the kernels dry but drizzle a mixture of melted butter & coconut oil after its popped. Sometimes will add hot sauce to the melted butter to spice things up. I have also found that the elongated brown bags used to package wine bottles work well. A few folds at the open end usually will keep the popping contained. No tape, no staples.
Germonico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:28 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudd View Post
I recently got a stovetop popcorn popper. I make my corn with coconut oil and Flavacol for the real movie theatre experience. It's really good, and not too much effort. It takes about 5 minutes, and the worst part is having to clean the pan afterwards.
Listen to this guy! Exactly my set-up. I get a gallon of coconut oil on Amazon for $20.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For popcorn, I use
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

With this oil, corn and Flavacol in the popper mentioned, you can't NOT like the final product.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:13 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

We use an electric popcorn popper, like the old hamilton beach one. Canola oil, no butter. Tastes great with the flavored salt, cheddar, shaken on it. etc.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:17 AM   #40

I knew I'd find some popcorn lovers in the ER community! After all it is a frugal and filling snack. Heck, I even have it for dinner sometime.
Janet H.--I have the same odd microwave popper! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005IBXK..._t1_B00FN3LPYY
Haven't used it in years and didn't even know it still exists. Do you buy the little filter covers for the bottom? I'm out of those and will need to purchase more to use the thing. I recall that it did make good popcorn, and I'm excited to try it now with olive or coconut oil.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote